• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Political Correctness

Married with Children and All in the Family still run in regular rotation and those are probably some of the most cringe worthy shows on TV in relation to today's climate

Like I said if you are going to start shelving songs and shows because there is some offensive material in it then there wont be much content left

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

so, first, I think I mostly agree with you.

but the argument we are making is the classic 'slippery slope' argument.

I'm probably going to oscillate on this a bit more... I see the merit in the arguments on both sides here.

Cool-Dice-Leather-Jacket.jpg

sold out arenas just a little over 20yrs ago.

I don't actually know who this is. But I assume some sort of creep?

You might get 10 seconds into his set without being offended.

But when it's being played on the radio there's no context... just the lyrics. They are being listened to by people now.

This is true, but the solution, IMHO, shouldn't be to just pull the song off the radio. Maybe a quick explanation by the hosts at the radio station explaining the context before or after the song plays to educate people on the lyrics and what they mean. Lord knows that would be better than talking about whatever the hell the Kardashians are being stupid about or what stupid thing Kayne West said.

Modern people being overly sensitive and triggered by the something they perceive as rapey in their narrow, limited point of view based on their limited, narrow experiences should be a point of education, not censorship.

I’ll say it again, have you heard some of the lyrics in hip hop and rap? This is pretty stupid stations can decide to play what they want but I think this is dumb.

This gets rotation but we pull Baby it's Cold Outside..

And this is tame

Gucci Gang, ooh, yeah, Lil Pump, yeah, Gucci Gang, ooh

Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang
Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang (Gucci gang!)
Spend ten racks on a new chain
My bitch love do cocaine, ooh
I **** a bitch, I forgot her name
I can't buy a bitch no wedding ring
Rather go and buy Balmains
I **** a bitch, I forgot her name, yeah
I can't buy no bitch no wedding ring
Rather go and buy Balmains, aye
Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang

This is true, but the solution, IMHO, shouldn't be to just pull the song off the radio. Maybe a quick explanation by the hosts at the radio station explaining the context before or after the song plays to educate people on the lyrics and what they mean. Lord knows that would be better than talking about whatever the hell the Kardashians are being stupid about or what stupid thing Kayne West said.

Modern people being overly sensitive and triggered by the something they perceive as rapey in their narrow, limited point of view based on their limited, narrow experiences should be a point of education, not censorship.

people have always been offended - remember when people were banning the beatles and burning their albums (with fire not cd roms)

tragically hip was also banned after katrina

I’ll say it again, have you heard some of the lyrics in hip hop and rap? This is pretty stupid stations can decide to play what they want but I think this is dumb.

maybe i missed something but i thought it was just specific stations not playing the song

those stations probably never played most of the rap in the first place so they do not need to pull it

And this is tame

i have no idea what this song is trying to say but i doubt it is played on many of the stations that pulled the date rape song

boggles my mind that this really terrible song about date rape is the one people are upset about

And this is tame

I dunno.

I'm not sure that's really offensive, unless you think the word 'bitch' is inherently offensive.

i have no idea what this song is trying to say but i doubt it is played on many of the stations that pulled the date rape song

boggles my mind that this really terrible song about date rape is the one people are upset about

Expect, once you read what its about, you realize there is nothing about date rape in the song, and its a song about society judging women for having wanting to have sex.

PC is what it's always been: a right wing buzzword to dispense with concerns about injustice and inequality.

yep. a buzzword to label any talk about remedying any societal ills as essentially dishonest.

'Politically correct", after all, inherently means "not actually correct" aka a lie.

Back