• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #30 DEC 8, HNIC: TOR @ BOS

I thought Matthews was awful last night. The combo of Marleau/Matthews doesn’t work and yet the Cock consistently trots them out. Let Marleau be a depth 3rd line guy and let Matthews play with Kappy,Johnsson,Willy etc

Down year but what would it really take to get him?

Kyper threw out zaitsev, kap/Johansson, prospect, pick.

If that's the price you do it.

chips were down last night?

For them? Sure. A patchwork team going up against our full squad? It was a guaranteed loss. You started off this thread saying anything less than a blowout for us was unacceptable. Look what they did.

Pietrangelo would be an amazing add.

But man, I really don’t want to lose Kapanen or Johnsson.

Maybe Liljegren is the chip.

Yeah if that is the $ you do it, but is Kyper really correct?
I dont buy the price either but as they have proven time and time again a lot of GMs are not smart when it comes to player evaluation

Armstrong typically does well on trades so I cant see them convincing him to take Z as part of the package

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We really have to be in "Go For It" mode now. I think Liljegren+the 1st rounder should be in play for the right D (and not crap like Montour or Sanheim).

BTW, is the answer "Toughness", or is it simply putting out our best lineup night in, night out? Stack the lines and you'll see a different team.

We really have to be in "Go For It" mode now. I think Liljegren+the 1st rounder should be in play for the right D (and not crap like Montour or Sanheim).

BTW, is the answer "Toughness", or is it simply putting out our best lineup night in, night out? Stack the lines and you'll see a different team.

I think it's a combination of the two frankly. But not blind adherence to toughness, but replacing player like brown, zaitsev, hainsey, etc with players in the same roles, at least as good, but play with an edge. That's what's gets me about most of our depth. They're not good modern hockey players (dont drive possession, etc) and they dont play the "heavy" game our coach likes either. They're just out there chasing the puck, not laying a fuxking glove on anything.

"Toughness" is important but you have to define what toughness means in the current NHL. No longer is the ability to out punch your opponent a needed skill.

Toughness for me is a player who can throw a momentum shifting hit, can take and make a hit in the corner to separate the puck from the opponent and in general makes the opponents night more painful.

Off the top of my head I look at players like josh Anderson, Jenner, kadri etc. As players that can do these things.

We also have in house solutions if we want with Marchment and Grundstrom.

AP would be a great add, but with only one year left on his deal we would be in mcdonagh territory value wise imo.

I thought Matthews was awful last night. The combo of Marleau/Matthews doesn’t work and yet the Cock consistently trots them out. Let Marleau be a depth 3rd line guy and let Matthews play with Kappy,Johnsson,Willy etc

um.

johnsson-matthews-kappy was the line. and they were very good.

AP would be a great add, but with only one year left on his deal we would be in mcdonagh territory value wise imo.

Good comp. That would be ideal if we could steal Pietrangelo like the Lightning stole Mcd. It may not even cost Lilly/Sandin.

No discussion on the Pietrangelo rumors?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

pietro used to be my fave, but it's been harder and harder to explain away his diminishing stats just because he faces top competition.

but I mean yeah, he'd still be a great add, if we can get the money to work.

For them? Sure. A patchwork team going up against our full squad? It was a guaranteed loss. You started off this thread saying anything less than a blowout for us was unacceptable. Look what they did.

I mean, understaffed teams win all the time. we did it for the last couple months. Freddy was terrible. just a December game in the end.

nice call.

but I get the sneaking suspicion that pietro's rep is better than McD's, deservedly or not.

speaking about McD, what an add for TBay. he's literally better than hedman.

If the Leafs look to add a player like Pietrangelo, these would be the keys to the deal for me:

1) They have to shed Zaitsev's contract, either in the same deal or a corresponding move

2) No major subtractions from the NHL roster, which would rule out Kapanen IMO

3) He's a UFA after next year, so you should be paying rental price for him

As for our prospects, I'd be hesitant to move Sandin. But for a guy Dubas & co believe is an impact player, I think I'd be OK with Liljegren and/or our 1st round pick being in play.

I don’t think you’ll get Pietrangelo for anything less than a first, a prospect and a roster player.

Back