• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Athletic Subscription

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Just FYI guys and gals and transgendered and gender neutral and unsure people...The Athletic is having a flash sale today of 50% off for the year. It's only $36. I finally broke down and registered. Good reading, I recommend taking advantage of the sale.

The NHL and MLB content is impressive so far. Way better then what you get on the usual sites IMO

I picked up a 90 day trial for $1. A few days in, nothing has really grabbed me. The articles I read on the Habs and Vikings weren't bad but they generally felt a little long winded. I get the sense the writers don't get much editing.

I only ask because I’d love to have a site that I can get multiple sports articles from.

Yeah, the Athletic would be a great source for you. Their Leafs coverage is excellent and they cover all the sports and the do it well.

Habsy is right about there being plenty of NFL coverage out there, but the Athletic is as good as any.

I picked up a 90 day trial for $1. A few days in, nothing has really grabbed me. The articles I read on the Habs and Vikings weren't bad but they generally felt a little long winded. I get the sense the writers don't get much editing.

Hopefully you keep reading. If you read any of the hockey analysis articles - there is nothing better on the web.

I had the same initial reaction when I first subscribed. But now I would not want to go a day without it.

Honestly I think it takes a little bit of time to adjust your expectations and get used to the style of writing used at the Athletic. I think the mainstream bozos have totally ****ed with our internal standards and expectations for journalism.

I had the same initial reaction when I first subscribed. But now I would not want to go a day without it.

Honestly I think it takes a little bit of time to adjust your expectations and get used to the style of writing used at the Athletic. I think the mainstream bozos have totally ****ed with our internal standards and expectations for journalism.

I stopped reading the mainstream bozos decades ago. I think the Athletic (like any site) will be hit and miss depending on the individual writer. I just read the Vikings and Habs stuff so far. I got a 90 day trial for a buck so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

I stopped reading the mainstream bozos decades ago. I think the Athletic (like any site) will be hit and miss depending on the individual writer. I just read the Vikings and Habs stuff so far. I got a 90 day trial for a buck so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

yeah this is a good point. I enjoy the Jays coverage from the Athletic a lot less because of the writers (well, really only one specifically...)

It's alright but nothing you wouldn't see here or from the quality Twitterers. Think it's a tad overhyped but only because I don't get much joy from reading about sports. I much prefer watching them. My sports reading is limited to this forum and quick Twitter snippets and I do my own independent research rather than relying on some dude with an apple shaped head with a stupid last name and some other moron that has no understanding about hockey and has no idea what he's watching half the time (wheeler). My time is too valuable to read 5000 word essays on the faceoff strategy for the leafs. If you're into that stuff though, go for it. Dellow is probably the only one that thinks outside the box and has new information. I just can't find myself caring about half the shit he writes about though.

yeah this is a good point. I enjoy the Jays coverage from the Athletic a lot less because of the writers (well, really only one specifically...)

which one and why?

as for the athletic i really enjoy the prospects stuff (in all sports)

which one and why?

as for the athletic i really enjoy the prospects stuff (in all sports)

Stoeten because he'll bend over backwards and twist himself in a knot before lobbing an iota of criticism at the regime or management. In fact he often seems to go to great lengths to defend them. And he seems to have an underlying bitterness towards the fans of the club too.

John Lott I think is a great columnist and I enjoy his commentary, although I don't usually find it very insightful. His Gibbons related pieces were fantastic though. McGrath does a good job with her game day coverage but doesn't really offer anything more.

Overall I find the Blue Jays reporting is almost all just classic reporting, without much analytically or anything that would challenge conventional thinking, make you think, etc. Of course these are just my opinions and feelings on this, as I'm sure there are those out there who feel differently :p

Back