• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

** Calle Rosen Signs Two Year Extension **

Montana

Champion
Per Leafs PR.

AAV of $750k.

cut.png

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the hockey club has signed defenceman Calle Rosen to a two-year contract extension with an annual average value of $750,000.

Rosen, 24, has recorded 19 points (2 goals, 17 assists) in 24 games with the Toronto Marlies (AHL) in 2018-19. Last season, Rosen skated in four regular season games with the Maple Leafs and registered an assist. In 62 regular season games with the Marlies in 2017-18, he notched four goals and 18 assists for 22 points before adding 11 points (5 goals, 6 assists) in 16 playoff games, capturing the 2018 Calder Cup.

Rosen was originally signed to a two-year entry level contract by the Maple Leafs on May 16, 2017.

Considering the season Rosen's having in the AHL, he could've easily gone back to Europe and made good money.

So, this tells me two things:

1) This has to be a one-way deal
2) Rosen's been promised that they'll be an opening for him in the lineup, if not this year than next year

So, if Gardiner doesn't come back, there's his opening. If he does, then one of Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott or Rosen must be capable of playing their off-side. And whatever happens with Gardiner, we know for pretty damn sure that Hainsey won't be back, so that's one definite opening in the top-6.

I keep Jake if he's willing to leave some money and term on the table. For market value, we cannot afford him. But if we can make it work, he's a guy I'd be happy to keep around. With Rielly on the top pair he's a great option to anchor the second pair.

Of course, Dermott may also make Jake expendable sooner than later. And with Rosen, Borgman, and Sandin all potentially coming up on the left side, one wonders how they all fit

I thought he'd be back in fairly short order after his demotion. Liked what I saw from him.

If memory serves, he was particularly solid at denying the zone....and I loved his odd thundering hit.

I guess he hasn't really progressed much on the Marlies tho...while Rosen has made huge strides in the last calendar year.

I miss Borgman.

Yeah, same. I'm not at all convinced that our best 6 doesn't include him. I'm getting tired of playing inferior guys on the right side just because.

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Ozzy

Might be our best 6 right now. Rosen I'm still not convinced on despite his obvious offensive skills. He's looked lost away from the puck every time I've seen him against pre season NHL competition or better, the last two seasons now. Might be that classic AAAA player (TJ Brennan for example) who devastates the AHL but just doesn't have the IQ to handle the NHL pace.

Considering the season Rosen's having in the AHL, he could've easily gone back to Europe and made good money.

So, this tells me two things:

1) This has to be a one-way deal
2) Rosen's been promised that they'll be an opening for him in the lineup, if not this year than next year

Mirtle echoes your position.....says he bets its a one way deal and says Rosen is definitely part of our plans for next year.

We thought the same thing when Leivo got signed to an extension....oh, he's definitely in the plans now.

21e.gif

He also got a 27 game run of games to sell himself to management....after his previous career high in games for a season was 16.

In fact, I suspect how we treated Leivo (trading him to someone who would play him, if he couldn't make our lineup).....is in part why Rosen would feel so comfortable signing a 2 year deal with us.

The Leivo/Carrick deals show Dubas is gonna do right by the player....in a way Lou & co. Didn't.

One thing the Leafs blueline sorely needs is more good passers. I have the same issues with him as ME. We'll see. Next to goalies, defensemen have a decent level of voodoo.

Yeah, same. I'm not at all convinced that our best 6 doesn't include him. I'm getting tired of playing inferior guys on the right side just because.

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Ozzy

Might be our best 6 right now. Rosen I'm still not convinced on despite his obvious offensive skills. He's looked lost away from the puck every time I've seen him against pre season NHL competition or better, the last two seasons now. Might be that classic AAAA player (TJ Brennan for example) who devastates the AHL but just doesn't have the IQ to handle the NHL pace.

Definitely possible he can’t put it together. But Brennan’s biggest issue was his skating; Rosen is a legit good skater.

my two cents on Rosen - guy has looked awesome in every instance I've seen him outside the NHL including the early preseason games, and disastrous every time I've seen him against nhl competition, including the later preseason games.

He seems to have all the necessary skills to succeed so I would guess/hope that the problem is all in his head.

Back