• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

oh shit there's a game - hurricanes @7

Aka they're generally a one and done rush team and don't get enough ozone time to draw penalties since thats where most penalties are called throughout the league. Agreed.

The NHL worries so much about claims they favour the Leafs they end up doing the opposite. Same as the national media.

Ah of course. My post is crazy but the conspiracy theories are completely logical.

I mean, we're a mediocre possession team, and super fast and skilled - yet dead last in PPs over the last 2yrs.

could be a fluke, but it doesn't really add up for me.

The Johnsson call was a screw up, the Ennis call was a no-brainer right in front of the ref, and the last one was just to **** up our PP stats.

It seems very strange that the leafs will get a penalty for hooking but yet on the same penalty kill, the hurricane player does the same thing to hainsey as he is trying to clear the puck from the zone and no call.
40 seconds earlier it was a penalty and now it isnt. I wonder if the speed and the action is to fast and that their should be an off ice official in the box between the benches who cam also watch and make calls.
1 official has the far zone and another has the opposite zone and in the neutral zone they are aided by the off ice official on making calls.

Also, this puck that can change colors seems interesting
Make it change colour if any part of it crosses the goal line.
The goal line doesnt have to be 2 inches thick, it can be 1/2 an inch thick and in the crossbar and the ice, you could have magnets which will activate the puck to change colour, to show that it had crossed the line.
Makes it easier on deciding what is a goal and what isnt.

I also think the fact that the Leafs don't take penalties because they are fast, skilled, poised, don't have any goons, and play with the puck a lot factors in. NHL reffing is all about the even ups. If you look around the league 7 of the bottom 11 teams in penalties taken are also in the bottom half of PP opportunities. Last year it was 8 out of 11.

Meanwhile last year 7 of the top 10 teams in PP opportunities were also in the top half in penalties taken. This year its the same 7 out of 10 ratio.

Logically there isnot be a link between taking penalties and drawing penalties other than thats how refs call games.

whatever the truth is - there's no doubt that we get artificially hurt by not getting to exploit our awesome PP as much as other teams.

I also think the fact that the Leafs don't take penalties because they are fast, skilled, poised, don't have any goons, and play with the puck a lot factors in. NHL reffing is all about the even ups. If you look around the league 7 of the bottom 11 teams in penalties taken are also in the bottom half of PP opportunities. Last year it was 8 out of 11.

Meanwhile last year 7 of the top 10 teams in PP opportunities were also in the top half in penalties taken. This year its the same 7 out of 10 ratio.

Logically there isnot be a link between taking penalties and drawing penalties other than thats how refs call games.

Ah finally a legit explanation that doesn't shout conspiracy and one that makes an honest effort to figure it out. Every fanbase has a group of individuals who believe that the NHL is out to get their favourite team. Thought you guys were better than that.

whatever the truth is - there's no doubt that we get artificially hurt by not getting to exploit our awesome PP as much as other teams.

Yeah its ridiculous. The NHL has a history of neutering great PPs though, from the Habs rule that minors end after a goal is scored, the Gretzky rule to add offsetting penalties so the Oilers can't play 4 on 4.

Gord Miller also had a great point last night. Why do you lose a PP if you score after a penalty is drawn. You are not on the PP.

Its not fair if games are decided by skill.

Gord Miller also had a great point last night. Why do you lose a PP if you score after a penalty is drawn. You are not on the PP.

I think the reasoning on that one is that because you can pull the goalie after the penalty is drawn with basically zero chance of a goal against (save some fluke bounce seen from time to time) that you are already benefiting from the man advantage.

Not that I necessarily agree, but it kind of makes sense.

does it hold up?

Bottom 5 teams in Minor Penalties taken, and their PP opportunities:

1. TOR 81mp (#31), 81pp (#31)
2. CHI 90mp (#30), 97pp (#18)
3. CBJ 93mp (#29), 98pp (#17)
4. PIT 94mp (#28), 82pp (#29)
5. VGK 97mp (#27), 108pp (#3)

Top 5 teams in minor penalties

1. ANA 121 (#1), 89pp (#25)
2. BOS 120 (#2), 99pp (#15)
3. DET 119 (#3), 85pp (#27)
4. VAN 118 (#4), 103pp (#7)