• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #32: 7:30, DEC 13 - TOR @ TBL - Time to Weigh Our Balls

If you are going out to get garbage pickers grab guys with expiring deals

Speaking of what is the deadline to sign Nash? I wonder if that may be a play for Dubas
The only hard deadline is that he'd have to be signed before the trade deadline passes to be eligible to play in the playoffs.

And yeah, he's been kind of in the back of my mind all year. It all comes down to his health, because last we heard from him a month or two ago he was still supposedly dealing with post-concussion symptoms. But if he is healthy and wants to play, I could see him signing a one-year Cup-chasing deal with a contender.

Babcock would certainly love it, because he'd add size and he's another player that's played for him at the Olympics. Whether Dubas would be interested, I dunno. I'm also not sure where he'd fit in our lineup, since I wouldn't want to see Kapanen or Johnsson have their roles reduced to make room for him, and I can't see Hyman or Marleau getting bumped to the 4th line.

it's hard for me to believe that Nash will be healthy enough to actually contribute. if he's still dealing with post-concussion symptoms, he is not able to work out and train fully. so he would have to get fully healthy, and then get into good enough shape for it to matter. and I'm not sure both those things will happen before the TDL.

I dealt with/am dealing with post concussion symptoms for the past 20 or so months and in my experience at least, there was often no rhyme or reason to the recovery process. it certainly was never linear. I guess I say this to point out that, despite whatever Nash may intend, if he's not healthy enough to play now, I'm not sure he will be able to get there any time soon. of course everyone's brain reacts a little differently too.

The only hard deadline is that he'd have to be signed before the trade deadline passes to be eligible to play in the playoffs.

And yeah, he's been kind of in the back of my mind all year. It all comes down to his health, because last we heard from him a month or two ago he was still supposedly dealing with post-concussion symptoms. But if he is healthy and wants to play, I could see him signing a one-year Cup-chasing deal with a contender.

Babcock would certainly love it, because he'd add size and he's another player that's played for him at the Olympics. Whether Dubas would be interested, I dunno. I'm also not sure where he'd fit in our lineup, since I wouldn't want to see Kapanen or Johnsson have their roles reduced to make room for him, and I can't see Hyman or Marleau getting bumped to the 4th line.

heh he could replace Leivo on the 4th line!

Gud Pro, 6'4 all game, eats rights, prayers and vitamins, missionary position only > Post concussion symptoms

If you really want some jam up front, which I'm not sure is necessary, I'd rather look at a rental like Stone, Hayes, Simmonds, Ferland, rather than a retired guy with concussion issues.

Yeah. Hayes & Ferland are the guys that probably won't cost you a ton and can play up and down the lineup. Stone & Simmonds are 1st rounder ++ type acquisition costs I'd imagine.

With that said, if you can get Stone for a 1st, and stuff...I think you have to really consider that shit. Dude is a stud.

Simmonds is horrible and he's a rw which isn't close to a need.

He's a liability 5 on 5 and basically just relies on the pp for the majority of his points. Looks like he's taken another step back this year. Doubt he costs a 1st.

Ferland and Hayes would be good adds. Two guys you want playing with skill up front. That would push Hyman to the fourth line. Huge upgrade.

With that said, it's more likely Babs pushes johnsson to the fourth line if they acquire a solid lwer. If that's the case I really don't think it'll be worth trading the draft picks.

I think you go get Stone and Nash, that way they can spell each other off when injured.

Zero chance we get Stone

Yuge would let him rot first but I’m open to guys who can play a more physical game but not be a liability

Zero chance we get Stone

Yuge would let him rot first but I’m open to guys who can play a more physical game but not be a liability
I think we could easily entice Melnyk into trading Stone here if we also saved him a whack of cash in the deal by taking some bad contracts.

Looking at Ottawa's CapFriendly page though, it looks like all of their bad-money deals have multiple years left on them, so that'd be a no-go.

stone would be sweet. but no way we get him unless he takes a quick stop in San Jose

Stone would be an excellent get. But doubt it happens too.

As for Nash, a huge no to anyone who hasn’t played all year. I wouldn’t even want him if he was playing. He’s done.

Stone would be an excellent get. But doubt it happens too.

As for Nash, a huge no to anyone who hasn’t played all year. I wouldn’t even want him if he was playing. He’s done.

yeah he could barely keep up last year. a year off probably ain't gonna help.

the only thing that may work in his favour is getting through most of a year with no wear and tear on his body. but I'm not confident he has enough left in the tank

Last night’s game was amazing. Vaseline boy was nuts. I’ve been impressed by him before, but last night he was otherworldly. One of the best goaltending performances I’ve ever seen. Is he like this usually or was he just possessed last night? Because I’ve frequently said TB doesn’t scare me, but man, they do if he plays like that. I couldn’t even be upset at anything. 50 shots and dominated the entire game. Nothing else they could do. Even the TB tv guys were showering the Leafs with praise after the game last night and saying no other team had taken it to TB like that all year and that Vas outright stole it.

Saw a couple comments about Hyman, and while as a team we didn’t miss him, I didn’t think the Marner line has been super dangerous without him. Marner and Tavares were defeinitsly dancing on all those PPs last night, but they weren’t very lethal at ES. Though I think Brown is playing great, it does seem that Hyman creates extra space for those guys and makes them more effective. I’m curious to see him back with them.

In a game like this, I also noticed that we really do actually need a legit first pair RHD. The only guys on the back end that do anything offensively are Rielly and Gardiner. Hainsey is killing me, his ball scratching to actually defending properly ratio is way off. I think it was the third goal maybe that he was just watching in no man’s land. I really want to get AP, but really not for Kapanen or Johnsson. Those guys really look amazing.

Speaking of them, the last two games, they seem to be driving that line. Something looks slightly off with Matty. He’s not as quick, he’s not dangling through guys as much, his passes are kinda off. It’s been frustrating me actually because he’s had so many looks he should be burying.

Also I want to see Willy back on the first PP unit. Move Kadri to the second unit, as I really don’t think we need him hovering in the middle of the ice.

By the way, it looked like Babs our Kapanen on the PP for one early shift last night - but then he immediately took that penalty two seconds into it. And then he didn’t get another sniff later. Anyone notice that?

Also, what the hell was with the fourth line playing like half of the final five minutes? Did we decide that we didn’t want to tie it up or something? Ah well, it was an incredible game, and I expect a more just result in the next one.

Back