• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Caps 12/14 7:30

Most of our shootout shooters were boring the crap out of Holtby with their lame efforts. That was a pathetic uncreative display of skill except for Dougie Hamilton (go figure, the guy who actually executed a high skilled move scored).

To be fair, there's not much skill involved in jacking a puck in the general area between Darling's knees and hoping for the best either. Neither team covered themselves in glory in that shootout. And I've noticed that as goaltenders have gotten better at that skill league-wise, the whole thing is growing more and more tedious. As with a lot of things, it's more fun in the minors where guys have a bit of freedom to take a chance.

Not sure you saw the same replays I did. Darling still has a huge five hole, they just missed. Still does not attack which makes leaks larger. Watch Aho attack a five hole and note that skill and quickness DOES come into play.

Staal almost never did shootouts even though he was a leading scorer

That's because he stopped just inside the circles and fired a slapper. Never worked.

And count me in, to doing away with the shootout. It's a terrible way to award a point. I want two point games, winner take all. Play 5 minute 4v4, then 3v3 until it ends. 3v3 rarely lasts long.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting much out of this game and was happy that we held our own with the Caps, but blowing a 3-goal lead is inexcusable. I'm mystified by the SO lineup, but I'm equally upset about putting Darling in net. Let the young kid play, but leave Darling in Charlotte until he can show that he can put together a string of wins.

Blown interference call helped 8 set up a goal during that comeback. Who knows, maybe we could have had 2 in 60 without it.

They perform best in shootout practice. He said in the post game presser that aside from Hamilton, they don’t really have a go to guy.

I did not listen to the post game presser-- thanks!

I am still gobsmacked that some of those guys (Svechnikov, Aho and Teravainen) are worse than others (McGinn, PDG or Williams).

Not sure you saw the same replays I did. Darling still has a huge five hole, they just missed. Still does not attack which makes leaks larger. Watch Aho attack a five hole and note that skill and quickness DOES come into play.

I was speaking of those specific guys making the specific moves they made. No skill involved for the most part ... just dangle until he moves and then hope he doesn't get the barn door shut. Ovie tried something else (mostly because his ego is too big to believe anyone can stop any of his shots ... which is both a blessing and a curse), as did Vrana on the winner. The other ones were lazy carbon copies of the described "move." Unless you're just looking for a reason to criticize Darling, I'd say he more than did his job in that shootout. 1 out of 6 isn't even close to good enough from the Canes, especially with Holtby having an off night.

I'm no Darling apologist, but the Canes did not lose that game because of goaltending.

And Holtby didn't win that game for the Caps. That was not a hot goalie, or a goaltender duel.

And count me in, to doing away with the shootout. It's a terrible way to award a point. I want two point games, winner take all. Play 5 minute 4v4, then 3v3 until it ends. 3v3 rarely lasts long.

There's a growing unrest with the shootout. People don't like it nearly as much as they used to.

4 on 4 resolved a game about 40% of the time. 3 on 3 takes care of it about 60% of the time. That would leave you with about 1/3 of OT games going past 10 minutes. And still a decent percentage going past 15 minutes. No way the PA goes for that. I say, do 3 on 3 for 5 minutes, and replace the shootout with each team taking a 5 on 3 PP. Team that scores fastest on the 5 on 3 wins. It's hockey, and it'll result in very few ties .. and no loser point in OT.

Unless you're just looking for a reason to criticize Darling, I'd say he more than did his job in that shootout. 1 out of 6 isn't even close to good enough from the Canes, especially with Holtby having an off night.

I have never had this goalie focus thing before. Not with Ward, or any goalie, so is is a little strange for me. You make a good point, so I guess I am a little overly grouchy on Darling. Still it's hard not to compare both goalies on a 5 to 5 game. I agree Holtby did not have a very good game, but if Scott would keep the holes filled, while attacking and hence playing large, it would bring a little more confidence, from me, in him. Maybe put your paddle down like Holtby does, or try a little harder to keep pucks from traveling across the crease. By all means cover all the holes. Oh well, tomorrow is another day so take the one point from the cup champs and move on.

I have never had this goalie focus thing before. Not with Ward, or any goalie, so is is a little strange for me. You make a good point, so I guess I am a little overly grouchy on Darling. Still it's hard not to compare both goalies on a 5 to 5 game. I agree Holtby did not have a very good game, but if Scott would keep the holes filled, while attacking and hence playing large, it would bring a little more confidence, from me, in him. Maybe put your paddle down like Holtby does, or try a little harder to keep pucks from traveling across the crease. By all means cover all the holes. Oh well, tomorrow is another day so take the one point from the cup champs and move on.
Yeah, don’t waste time over analysizing Darling. He’s a mess technically, so when his head is wrong you may as well just mail it in. That’s the biggest reason I’m done with the guy. He’s just got too many moving parts and signing him was a huge mistake that needs to be undone this summer. Should have been done last summer but our owner is too cheap/stubborn

There's a growing unrest with the shootout. People don't like it nearly as much as they used to.

4 on 4 resolved a game about 40% of the time. 3 on 3 takes care of it about 60% of the time. That would leave you with about 1/3 of OT games going past 10 minutes. And still a decent percentage going past 15 minutes. No way the PA goes for that. I say, do 3 on 3 for 5 minutes, and replace the shootout with each team taking a 5 on 3 PP. Team that scores fastest on the 5 on 3 wins. It's hockey, and it'll result in very few ties .. and no loser point in OT.

I'm also not a fan of the shootout. What is the success rate of 5 on 3? And the loser point should only go when the game goes to the shootout. You win in OT you get 2 points the loser 0.

Honestly, I'd be fine killing OT altogether and just going back to wins, losses and ties.

All the rest of this crap just seems like a league determined to fix something that wasn't broken, but that was mildly boring. 90% of the time the extra time I spend at the arena because of those obsession with avoiding ties is fairly pointless.

Are you saying you wouldn't mind going back to 5 minutes of 5v5 and then calling it a tie or you just want a game ending regulation in a tie to end as a tie?

Back before the "loser point" 5v5 5 minute OTs were painfully boring as most of the times the teams wanted to ensure they got the 1 point. No OT at all would result in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period being played with extreme caution I fear.

The 3-2-1-0 system could reduce the number of OT/shootouts games by making regulation wins more valuable but alas...

Last edited:
Nope ... just play 60 and call it a night. No loser point. No need to go with the 3 point system that makes sense to every single human not employed by the NHL. Just respect the tie and move on with life. And I think having both points on the line at all times will give regulation the appropriate sense of urgency.

If not, then this nonsense they're doing now hasn't really changed anything other than for the worse, so ...

The 3-2-1-0 system could reduce the number of OT/shootouts games by making regulation wins more valuable but alas...

I'm a fan of this one if they insist on the current OT+shootout... it just irks the math guy in me with the current 2+1 that teams can collude by slow-playing the end of regulation to make the game as a whole worth *more* in overall point value.

Seems like IIHF does their round robins by the 3-2-1-0 right? They get it right, and grudgingly, soccer with the 3-1-0 as well (My "math guy" thinks all games have to be worth the same. But if they're not, as in soccer, the teams should be punished by not settling it in regulation, not rewarded.)

Can you imagine the holy hell that would be unleashed during the last few minutes of regulation hockey if they went completely with the soccer model - no OT and 3-1-0 for points?

Back