• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Pens 12/22, 7:00 Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yes, there's a game tonight. And yes, it's against the Penguins during the Holiday season when all the transplanted Yinzers will have their also transplanted Yinzerkinder at home with them for Christmas. Joy de Noel indeed. If anything will put a homegrown Canes fan off their Holiday cheer, I gotta feel like to tonight is the night. Do I seem gloomy? Meh ... just cynical, same as usual.

I'm not getting into details. They're depressing. Carolina is in a weird place as a team, while Pittsburgh had a terrible November but have found their legs of late. Malkin woke up after Thanksgiving, their top end talent is still ridiculous, and they have had a couple of days off so the Canes' best hope ... getting one of their horrible backup goaltenders ... is dim. Plus, Carolina had one of those infamous soul searching team meetings after the Detroit loss. Given how these things usually go, there's only two outcomes tonight. Either they find some short term mental toughness and grab one out of thin air, or they get beaten like a drum. Flip a coin.

See you at the rink. I'm so looking forward to this one that I actually envy those of you who travel for Christmas. And that's bloody rare.

Yes, there's a game tonight. And yes, it's against the Penguins during the Holiday season when all the transplanted Yinzers will have their also transplanted Yinzerkinder at home with them for Christmas. Joy de Noel indeed. If anything will put a homegrown Canes fan off their Holiday cheer, I gotta feel like to tonight is the night. Do I seem gloomy? Meh ... just cynical, same as usual.

I'm not getting into details. They're depressing. Carolina is in a weird place as a team, while Pittsburgh had a terrible November but have found their legs of late. Malkin woke up after Thanksgiving, their top end talent is still ridiculous, and they have had a couple of days off so the Canes' best hope ... getting one of their horrible backup goaltenders ... is dim. Plus, Carolina had one of those infamous soul searching team meetings after the Detroit loss. Given how these things usually go, there's only two outcomes tonight. Either they find some short term mental toughness and grab one out of thin air, or they get beaten like a drum. Flip a coin.

See you at the rink. I'm so looking forward to this one that I actually envy those of you who travel for Christmas. And that's bloody rare.

The Canes are as fragile as a team as all those precious glass ornaments on the tree. Santa scores more this time of year with Mrs. Claus then the Canes do. Lump of coal to the Canes for the efforts of late, definitely on the naughty list with their play. Bah Humbug.

This was not supposed to be a fragile team. Our defense was supposed to be our strength and our leadership (Faulk, Staal and Williams) were supposed to help protect us against that mentality creeping in. Two of our coaches have Cup rings. Yet, here we are in the weird Metro conference, playing against the PENS and hoping we don't see a melt down like we saw on Thursday.

Santa, be kind to the boys tonight. Naughty or nice, they need hands, physicality and to keep their feet moving. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Festivus...

Meh ... teams this young are ALWAYS going to be fragile. Especially if they don't have rock solid goaltending to bail them out of tough nights. And as much as I hear locals bitching about Carolina's defense, last I checked they were still in the top half of the league in goals against ... with decidedly average goaltending. Defense is NOT the problem, in terms of the big picture. Scoring is the problem, and they simply rely on too many children to score.

Think I just heard Martinook/ Aho / Svechnikov on Stormfront.

It’s happening! :willy_nilly:

Never mind. Had it recorded so went back for a closer listen.

What I heard was “Svechnikov on the top line”.

But unfortunately they consider Staal and Martinook to be the top line.

Staal, Martinook, Svechnikov.

I know he's good, but he's being asked to score with handcuffs on. He should be getting used to it. So far a large majority of the assists on his goals are defensemen.

At what point does the new owner grow tired of playing in front of 8,000 - 10,000 a night, half of which are transplants who won't support the home team? You're never going to win some people over. I personally know quite a few fans of other teams who won't root for the Canes. Karmamos and Rutherford were quite content to sell thousands of tickets to THOSE fans. If Dundon accepts that method, he might as well start planning his move now. But you're never going to convince locals to spend $100 on a ticket to watch of team of nobodies lose night after night. Yes, these are fickle fans who want a winner. The change of culture has to begin NOW.

At what point does the new owner grow tired of playing in front of 8,000 - 10,000 a night, half of which are transplants who won't support the home team? You're never going to win some people over. I personally know quite a few fans of other teams who won't root for the Canes. Karmamos and Rutherford were quite content to sell thousands of tickets to THOSE fans. If Dundon accepts that method, he might as well start planning his move now. But you're never going to convince locals to spend $100 on a ticket to watch of team of nobodies lose night after night. Yes, these are fickle fans who want a winner. The change of culture has to begin NOW.

This org is a perpetual loser, fueled by cheap, penny pinching owners that have no clue how to build a winner. I don’t see this any longer as being about the fans or the market, this team sucks, no one should be expected to support the product they pass off as NHL hockey, it’s so far broken anymore that few seem to care. They did this to themselves.

You can slice and dice the Canes issues many different ways, but nothing is ever going to allow this team to be a serious contender until the problems down the middle get fixed. The center play is a huge concern as they are outmanned just about every night out. The goalie position is also being held together by duct tape as McElhinney is a very short term fix.

Any future trade needs to bring in help at center, or this team is shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. Tarasenko would make a ton of sense in Carolina (cost certainty, help for Svech, goal scoring, etc) but there would have to be another move following that brings in a center.

Just go to capfriendly and it gets pretty obvious why we suck.

Left after 2 periods. I had never done that before in my life.

Last edited:
The last two games have been pretty bad, but I guess thats what you get when you want a team of grinders playing for you. The worst though was that in this game it sounded like they were playing in Pittsburgh. That was just embarrassing.

Quick, I need current list of Canes UFAs and the trade deadline date.

Trade deadline is 2/26 at 3:00 EST.

UFAs
Williams, Martinook, Ferland, Mrazek, McElhinney, McKegg, Brown, Cajkovsky

RFAs with arbitration rights
Teravainen, McGinn, PDG, Maenalanen, Poturalski, Carrick, Renouf

RFAs without arbitration rights
Aho, Bishop, Fleury, McKeown, Wesley, Nedeljkovic

Quick, I need current list of Canes UFAs and the trade deadline date.

Rask is at a point where you might as well give him the waiver wire salute, that guy has pretty much done the square root of f$&@ all for years now. I’m sure he will go somewhere else and score 25 goals and 60 points though...

Ferland perhaps the only UFA of rental interest to a playoff team.

Williams? Maybe.

Yeah, the UFA list of weak. Not going to turn that into many future assets outside of Ferland and maybe Martinook and Williams as depth guys on a playoff team. Yuck.

Back