• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Official Hurricanes Playoff Position Tracker

Re: The Official Hurricanes Futility Thread

The Canes cannot continue to send away good players while looking over the fence to find something similar but cheaper. That's what they did with Lindholm in exchange for Ferland and it looks like they are about to do the same thing with Ferland. If pieces, and capable pieces at that, are being sent away, it has to be with a bigger idea of what they are doing rather than just substituting pieces to fit under the self-imposed cap. A player like Ferland or Lindholm are not the guys to build around, they're the guys to build with. When the trade with Calgary was made, they specifically wanted Ferland-- they asked for him and now it looks like they're scuttling him.

If the Canes get a big center or a big scorer, who is going to provide secondary scoring, and who's the guy to help your sniper get time and space? I don't trust the management to have a real game plan or strategy. Were back to finding role guys and pieces versus a real strategy where you actually build a team.

Once again ... Ferland supposedly wants $5 million and long term. So freaking what? Negotiate with the guy. That's above reasonable, but not THAT stinking much above reasonable. That's the kind of gap that teams negotiate their way out of all the freaking time. And remember what happened with Lindholm and Hanifin ... their agents opened high and they got shoved out the door in a matter of days. In that case, it's summer and Waddell made what I think was a net positive move out of it. In this case, Ferland is a UFA so that's not going to happen. If we move him it will be for a rental return ... prospect/pick.

As for value ... look at Ferland's current comparables. The guys who are in his contract situation ... guys like Martinook, Vesey, Lindberg, Donskoi. He's on a different planet than those guys, and he's massively under-paid currently. So, of bloody course his agent is going to start high. Ferland is looking to make up for lost earning time. Now go dial up a list of guys sitting on AAVs of $4-5 million. That list looks a LOT more like the kind of value that Ferland has managed since he kicked his dependency issues.

So, is his agent nuts or are the Canes cheap? Yeah ... you know the answer to that.

All these people claiming he's not worth $5m. Again, show me his replacement, making less.

I'm also tired of hearing he's too old for a 5 year deal. That's absurd.

Is he perfect? Is he this teams savior? Nope. But he's what this team needs right now. A very capable support winger. Just like TT. I don't think TT flourishes at all, without Aho. I'm not his biggest fan, but if it take A $6m to keep him, then so be it. We aren't in cap trouble.

One more thought ... I really don't mind Carolina playing the value mining game. We did a good job of finding guys like Ferland and Martinook who are effective but cheap. Well done. But you do that with your DEPTH lines and with supporting cast. Ferland is not that on this team. He's a primary scoring option and a significant part of the collective engine of the team. He's also a guy the young players clearly look up to. Sooner or later all Moneyball strategies break down on that one hurdle ... when you dig up under-paid quality, eventually you have to actually pay for it. Trying to cycle and repeat every summer is too difficult in terms of the actual work that goes into it and the risk you take when you miss on a guy ... which is gonna happen from time to time.

And let's get real. If they want to hardball Martinook ... fine. He's been important, but he's a supporting player. Ferland? Different kettle of fish entirely.

Patently ridiculous that Luke actually printed this statement
The Hurricanes love Ferland and would like to keep him, and there’s every indication he enjoys playing here, but their current surplus of salary-cap space will evaporate quickly as Sebastian Aho backs up the armored car to the PNC loading dock and Teuvo Teravainen gets an extension and someone (Sergei Bobrovsky?) gets paid to play goal next season. They’re willing to give Ferland a hefty raise on the $1.75 million he makes now, but not what he might get on the open market this summer.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports...ke-decock/article224330545.html#storylink=cpy

Anybody want to guess what our current cap space is? Yeah. You could sign a danged army with what we have for cap space. Call it what it is, Luke. Our owner isn't willing to spend on anybody who he doesn't see as essential and he doesn't see a legitimate scoring power winger as essential. Which makes him either a spendthrift, an idiot, or yet another owner who is going to choke this team's chances of being competitive because he either doesn't have any financial resources or won't commit them to the club. Take your pick, because it honestly doesn't matter.

You want to win and pack that building. Spend money on quality players and staff.

Bobrovsky? Really? He doesn't want to sign in Columbus so why would he sign with the Canes. I'd much rather have our current goalies and use that money towards a first- or second line center if there is one availiable.

Yep, if any portion of the team has exceeded my expectations at the start of the season, it's been the goalie tandem (minus Darling of course).

Bobrovsky? Really? He doesn't want to sign in Columbus so why would he sign with the Canes. I'd much rather have our current goalies and use that money towards a first- or second line center if there is one availiable.

His issues in Columbus seem to mostly be related to Tortorella, so it's less that he's wanting out than they'd like him gone. And with his history of melting down in the playoffs, a contender isn't going to get anywhere near the guy. That limits his likely options to the up and comers and strivers. Of course, if we can't afford to extend our own guys, NOBODY is going to want to take a free agent shot on Carolina unless we over-pay dramatically ... which does NOT sound like this owner at all. So, it's all moot anyway.

I’m going to reserve judgment on the ownership/management on the Ferland business until we see what actually happens. Until then it’s virtually all just blah blah blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here are UFA goalies-- not including McIlhenney:

GOALIES

Semyon Varlamov, G, COL
NHL.com rank: 48

Sergei Bobrovsky, G, CBJ
NHL.com rank: 69

Cam Talbot, G, EDM
NHL.com rank: 107

Petr Mrazek, G, CAR
NHL.com rank: 175

Mike Smith, G, CGY
NHL.com rank: 184

Robin Lehner, G, NYI
NHL.com rank: 189

Not sure what kind of upgrade those that hit the free market will be from our currrent tandem.

Sarah also with a Ferland piece that contains an interesting path forward that makes sense
https://theathletic.com/763419/2019...cant-raise-will-the-hurricanes-pay-the-price/

A couple of points from the article:
- Confirms, or at least references, rumors of the Tom Wilson comparable contract
- For those also about to jump off a cliff if Ferland is traded, she brings up point it could be part of the longer-term strategy for acquiring Tarasenko in our D for O trade. That makes a ton of sense. Would you rather have Ferland locked up long term for $5.1M per or Tarasenko for $7.5M. I know which I prefer as one is a proven scorer over his career and elite talent. They are only 4 months apart age-wise.

Now the Canes just need to acquire Tarasenko for a reasonable package.....

Sarah also with a Ferland piece that contains an interesting path forward that makes sense
https://theathletic.com/763419/2019...cant-raise-will-the-hurricanes-pay-the-price/

A couple of points from the article:
- Confirms, or at least references, rumors of the Tom Wilson comparable contract
- For those also about to jump off a cliff if Ferland is traded, she brings up point it could be part of the longer-term strategy for acquiring Tarasenko in our D for O trade. That makes a ton of sense. Would you rather have Ferland locked up long term for $5.1M per or Tarasenko for $7.5M. I know which I prefer as one is a proven scorer over his career and elite talent. They are only 4 months apart age-wise.

Now the Canes just need to acquire Tarasenko for a reasonable package.....

Yeah, yeah ... pardon me if I don't start counting my Terasenkos until they're hatched. Turning up your nose at a player who has proven himself on your roster in favor of a guy you may or may not be able to acquire in a trade strikes me as ... ummm ... optimistic. Like unrealistically so. And you'll have to forgive me for not trusting that our front office is up to pulling off such a coup.

Wake me when they pull off that little miracle. In the meantime I'm going to sit here and judge based on what actually happens. Which thus far is a lot of talk and no extra dollars being spent to improve.

Thanks, but even with the hot streak it still seems pretty futile around here to me.

Me too, but they're more fun to watch when they win.

Even with this 7-1 run they're on, they still haven't made up for the 2-9-1 stretch before. Unfortunate reality there.

So why exactly is it too much to ask for Ferland to be signed AND Teresenko acquired? Why do those need to be exclusive if each other? How about icing a really good, competitive and deep set of dangerous forwards?

So why exactly is it too much to ask for Ferland to be signed AND Teresenko acquired? Why do those need to be exclusive if each other? How about icing a really good, competitive and deep set of dangerous forwards?

100% agree. Now we just need to get Dundon and Waddell on board cause the reality is the Canes usually don't do either of those activities. I would be happy just upgrading to Tarensenko or signing Ferland to a good deal.

Back