• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Official Hurricanes Playoff Position Tracker

perfectstormhits

At the request of JB in a previous game thread, this is where we can vent our frustrations with the state of Canes hockey.

After 10 years of no playoffs (yes, I'm including this season), I am ready for this team to tank, starting now.

So sick of watching offensive ineptitude for the last decade and AHL-level goaltending. This team needs a serious enema, and that includes the front office, players, and the seriously flawed marketing department.

I have seriously had it.

Have at it folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Official Hurricanes Futility Thread

After watching the little I did today, maybe it wasn’t Peters, maybe it was Brindy,and I’m starting to really believe it is him. He needs to go as does his staff of coaches. The canes need to start fresh.

I haven't been this down about the team since they traded Sami Kapanen, and that move at least led to Eric Staal in the draft... This is seriously 2002-03 all over again without the benefit of coming off of the Cup Finals.

I'd start with a new GM, and let him clear house. Hearing Brindy post game, he's clueless, but obviously frustrated. He doesn't have the answers.

Looking back at the years of futility about only one thing has been constant and that is Brindy. A case could be made for the water or beer or maybe the bbq is slowing them down.

I think Elsker summed it up perfectly with his long post-- Dundon... is essentially playing with his new toy without bothering to read the instructions and pitching a temper-tantrum that it isn't performing to expectation.

He has refused to go outside of the organization to bring in real front office help and talent. Hell, even RBA brought in Jeff Daniels to be his chief of staff.

There is a very old saying in business that seems to fit here: A players hire A players; B players hire C players. Dundon doesn't seem to remember that. We thought he was an A player as he did become a billionaire in what still seems to me to be a kinda shady business. Even if accurate, he was obviously very competent. And if he would run the Canes as he would a business venture, as we expected, it surely would be a different picture. He seems to be making it a retirement hobby.

I don't know anyone who expected Don Waddle to be a really competent GM but has he even made the grade as a C player?

We all expected RB'A to get the best from the lineup he was given, that the hockey players would go into hell for him. They just seem confused, undirected and unfocused. That looks like a coaching problem and it ain't just Rod. Tho' he is the one who needs to keep them doing the right things to at least play with confidence and competence. True, he has five rookies (plus AHL rotation) but even so, they started out very well but fell off. Frankly, if he is the reason Skinner was traded for Pu, it doesn't lend any great confidence in the coach whose job is to get the best from his team, individually and collectively.

Who is competent to actually hire a competent GM who will provide a decent lineup and hire a coaching staff who can get reasonable performance?

It doesn't look like Tom Dundon.

I actually prefer the addage “owners own, GMs manage, coaches coach and players play.”

I actually prefer the addage “owners own, GMs manage, coaches coach and players play.”

The very first thing I posted when Dundon bought the majority stake in the Canes was he needed to hire a tried and true President of Hockey Operations that would oversee and fix the entire organization. Every single hire Dundon has made so far has been a cheap and uneventful attempt at a warm body, the GM is a joke, the Coach is in over his head, the assistant coaches are awful, the trades that have been made are just cost cutting moves to save a buck, it goes on and on and on. I never ever have wished for this team to move to another market because I love hockey and have followed this team from day one in this market but I’ve gotten to the point where my frustration with this org is at an all time high and the fans here deserve so much better than what this team has become. It’s the laughing stock of the NHL anymore and it’s embarrassing to be a fan of this team in all honesty, I cannot keep getting hoodwinked by the same garbage this team serves.

We went to Alamo Drafthouse last night to see “Green Book.” Spent $30 for two tix (bought online) and another $25 on concessions. The movie was entertaining start to finish and I was completely entertained for 2 hours. That’s what I should be getting from my STH dollar—- good entertainment. I am not.

Go see “Green Book” if you haven’t.

SS, both should be applicable here but neither is being followed. I'd make one change: owners should mostly keep their fingers and noses out of operations and use their resources to better their investments! Especially if they don't know what th' hell they're doing. CC & BB also make valid points; except PK wasn't so much a cheapskate when he had the wherewithal. If JR wanted a major improvement (i.e. a certain player - viz Ron Francis) PK seems to have given the go ahead.

The first five years here the Canes made the playoffs THREE times. And in three more playing seasons hoisted the big shiny silver thingy!

My biggest fear remains another big trade that will do nothing to improve this team in the short or long term. My first reaction to the Calgary trade was 'bad news Whalers trades are back". That pattern includes trading young players away, then eventually flipping the 'best player' we got in the first trade months later after they underachieve for lesser talent. See the 1993-94 season and the big trades the Whalers made that season which left us with a pile of crap when all was said and done while Steve Larmer and Gary Suter passed through the Whalers, James Patrick stayed for a cup of coffee, and we were left with not much to show after trading Zarley Zalapski, Patrick Poulin, Michal Nylander and Nick Kypreos and flipping Larmer, Suter and Patrick. I will say it again, I'm worried about the next trade folks...this is the exact situation where desperate and dumb trades are made and franchises put themselves into death spirals. Been there, done that, watched my team suck and then move. Not feeling good about any of this at the moment, including getting Aho signed to a long term deal.

Agree on all the above (including The Greenbook - you should see it). I'm tired of looking for change from within, when there's been nothing to show for it in the last decade. I'm really struck by how better players play when they leave this organization (e.g., Skinner, Staal, Lindholm...), especially our former first-round picks. It's hard to blame coaching alone, when Peters seems to be getting the most out of Lindholm now that he's in Calgary. Our years of mediocrity have produced a mediocre team filled with decent AHL-level players, but who collectively are not ready for prime time. Yes, we've got Aho and Svech to look forward to, but I'm worried that we'll ruin their long-term potential by saddling them with a franchise that seems OK with doing the same things year after year and hoping for a different result. And we'll likely ride out this season, rearranging a few pieces like the deck chairs on the Titanic, and blow smoke about how things are going to be better next year. That's not only incompetent, it's delusional.

Dundon needs to get a proven NHL GM, a proven NHL coach and make investments to grow this team. The fans will come if they believe there's something worthwhile to see.

The talent drain that cmaleski2 references is indeed a concern. We're certainly short on legit top-6 and maybe even bottom-6 talent.

And this past off-season out goes two #5 overall picks (Lindholm and Hanifin) for a second-rounder (Hamilton), third-rounder (Fox), and a fifth-rounder (Ferland). Now, 20-20 hindsights fantasy re-drafts can shuffle an original draft order. But it's hard to say we necessarily improved our total points production by that move. Change of hassles, at best. Rationalization being that Hamilton is what you hope Hanifin will be, just sooner and that Ferland brings grit (although in the form of less points). And that maybe Fox will sign with us and make it all good.

And although Skinner was "third line" (like Kessel is "third line"), he was top-6 talent from a points perspective. And he was "replaced" by two rookies, one of which didn't stick at the NHL level yet and one still working his way up off the third line. So no net gain, at least for this season. Again, change of hassles, at best.

And, as cmaleski2 points out, the danger is that one goes to the trading floor again and trades those recently gained assets for even less impactful players, again to correct a "mistake" or shuffle the cards looking for a better hand.

We need pure additions to the forwards corps and those have to come from shedding our excesses in the defenseman corps. We simply have more players there than we can play. Need some D-for-O trades.

.... I'm really struck by how better players play when they leave this organization (e.g., Skinner, Staal, Lindholm...), especially our former first-round picks. ....

Scratch Staal from the list. I watched a Minny game recently and he seems to be back to his "comfortable" self. He was flopping around the ice again and the effort level was set back to "who cares" level after two strong years in Minny. I think he is back to his regular 25 goal, 50-60 point pace.

Skinner shouldn't be that surprising as he was a lock to score goals on a bad Carolina team. Pairing him with an elite center like Eichel was going to result in increased production. That was just a horrible trade any way you look at it.

The only real surprise, that most wouldn't have predicted is the Calgary trade. Lindholm looks fantastic and I honestly have no clue why. Monahan is a good center but honestly not too far above someone like Jordan Staal. Monahan definiately has more offensive upside, especially in goal scoring, but i didn't see Lindholm putting up those numbers with him. The other huge surprise has been Hanifin is flat out better than Hamilton. We all knew it was a possibility long-term, but I don't think anyone expected it this year.

The Calgary trade seemed fair at the time, and everyone thought Carolina got the best player in the deal, but it just looks horrid now. I vote for tanking as they are already 10 points out and a lot of teams to climb over to get back to the wildcard. Jack Hughes would look great centering Svech next year!!

I really wish the person in the organization that wanted Skinner gone (coaches, players, ownership, whomever) would stand up and own it. They can then F-off. What idiot thought it was prudent to trade a proven 30 goal scorer and get practically NOTHING for him in return? The Canes sit dead last in goal per game. The Skinner trade just makes me crazy as they could have gotten no worse than the same garbage, and likely a 1st round pick, at the trade deadline this year.

Back