• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flyers 1/3 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Hey, you look familiar!

The Canes travel to Philly for the back half of a home and home and a kickoff to a back to back. We start seeing the payback for so many off days in the first half of the season. The Canes play 12 games, 8 on the road, before the All Star break/bye week that starts on 1/24. The Canes swapped Finns with Maenalanen arriving for his 2nd stint and Kuokkanen headed down. He’s been good on the PK in Charlotte so he might see some time there too.

The Flyers followed up their loss on Monday by going to Nashville on Tuesday and getting shut out, their 4th loss in a row. Neuwirth followed his relief appearance against the Canes by playing in that one, so expect Hart in goal again tonight.

Fox Sports Southeast for TV. Check your listings.

FWIW, Maenalanen was invisible and barely used in his last call-up, so here's hoping he at least gets some work in this time around. And if the Carter kid does start for Philly ... glove side high until he stops a few, OK boys?

Lines/pairs at the morning skate. Mrazek in net, which means Mac tomorrow night.

McGinn-Aho-Teravainen
Martinook-Wallmark-Williams
Svechnikov-Rask-Ferland
Foegele-Bishop-Maenalanen

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lines/pairs at the morning skate. Mrazek in net, which means Mac tomorrow night.

McGinn-Aho-Teravainen
Martinook-Wallmark-Williams
Svechnikov-Rask-Ferland
Foegele-Bishop-Maenalanen

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

Enough of this Brock McGinn on the top line garbage, good lord that is just dumber then dumb. The Finn up from Charlotte would have been an easier choice even by default. I realize the old Warchief doesn’t have much to play around with but the McGinn project must end as an offensive force.

Enough of this Brock McGinn on the top line garbage, good lord that is just dumber then dumb. The Finn up from Charlotte would have been an easier choice even by default. I realize the old Warchief doesn’t have much to play around with but the McGinn project must end as an offensive force.

Why not Ferland back there?

We have 3 LW's that are bottom-six at best and would all be fourth-liners on a more talented team: Martinook, McGinn, and Foegele (if even NHL-worthy)

Ferland is the only LW with potential top-six talent...and yet we can't seem to get him up there, overslotting others ahead of him, despite showing no apparent need to be further sheltered from his injury.

Ferland: 281 GP / 53-53-106

Martinook: 285 GP / 35-42-77

McGinn: 196 GP / 28-29-57

Foegele: 40 GP / 6-3-9

Personnel usage continues to be an issue.

Tonight’s officials...AKA 3 vets and a noob.

Referees:
Marc Joanette #25, Furman South #44

Linesmen:
Scott Driscoll #68, Tim Nowak #77

Joanette has worked over 1,200 games, Driscoll over 1,700, Nowak nearly 1,700. Tonight is South’s 31st game, he’s working a split NHL/AHL schedule.

Canes are 1-1 with Joanette and 1-0 with South this year. Joanette calls 40% of his penalties in the 2nd, only 28% in the 3rd. South calls 37% in each of the 2nd and 3rd.

Agreed. Ferland needs to be back on that top line, like pronto. I know he's trying to balance the lines a bit, but it's coming at the expense of production.

Joanette has worked over 1,200 games, Driscoll over 1,700, Nowak nearly 1,700. Tonight is South’s 31st game, he’s working a split NHL/AHL schedule.

Guess which ref will be the one using his whistle while the other one watches. Yup. The guy you've never heard of.

Guess which ref will be the one using his whistle while the other one watches. Yup. The guy you've never heard of.

He’s averaging 4.8 penalties per game, which ranks...first. Joanette averages 3.4 penalties per game, ranking him 34th.

South also calls 54% of his penalties on the home team, also first. But with the sad state of the Canes PP, I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Flyers afraid to show this one. Haven't beaten them there too often, eh?

Two rarities tonight...a goal from Hamilton, followed shortly by a PP goal, courtesy of Williams.

Back