• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Blue Jackets 1/4 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes briefly return home before heading out on a 3 game roadie.

Tonight is the first of only 4 home games in January. Curiously, 3 of them are on consecutive Friday nights. The Canes swept a home and home with the Flyers, surviving some squeaky bum tome before Teravainen put the game to bed with his 2nd of the night. Clark Bishop left early in the 1st with a lower body injury, so reinforcements from Charlotte will be necessary. Is tonight the return of Martin Necas, or will we see a like for like swap with Nic Roy heading north on I-85? No skate this morning coming off a game last night but expect McElhinney in goal. We’ll probably have to wait for mid-afternoon to see where the noob slots into the lineup.

The Jackets come in winners of 6 of their last 7, tightening the race in the division, 1 point behind the Pens and 2 behind the Caps. They’re only 1 point ahead of the Isles. Cam Atkinson had a hattie on their last visit in mid-November.

Fox Sports South for TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Necas would have had been returning from the World Juniors, so that wasn't an option really. McKegg replacing Bishop would be a grinder for grinder swap. Makes more sense.

I assume McIlhenney will get the start in net and that Bishop is the only possible lineup change. Here's the thing though ... tonight's opponent isn't the freaking Flyers, so they better buckle up and settle into grinding one out if they can. I'd be satisfied with keeping Atkinson off of the score sheet. That dude owns Carolina.

Jon Chase tweeted that there will be live music during intermissions at all 4 January home games. One of them is the 82nd Airborne Chorus; I’ll leave it to the local music aficionados to tell me if the other 3 are good, bad or meh.

https://twitter.com/jchasesthoughts/status/1081220677393436672?s=21

New Revielle don't suck. Can't speak for the rest. By FAR the best band they've had scheduled for one of these things was Love Language last season and that was the game that snowed out. Bad luck ... LL are awesome.

Tonight’s officials

Referees:
Jean Hebert #15, Chris Rooney #5

Linesmen:
Ryan Daisy #81, Brad Kovachik #71

Canes haven’t had either ref this year. Last year, they went 4-2 with Hebert and 2-2 with Rooney. Both call have their penalty calls weighted in the 2nd period, 37% and 36% respectively. Hebert is 6th in the league, averaging 4.3 penalties per game.

Michael Smith says that Bishop had an MRI, no results yet but they don’t think it’s a long term injury. McElhinney in goal

Michael Smith says that Bishop had an MRI, no results yet but they don’t think it’s a long term injury. McElhinney in goal

Who is this Doug Hamilton who suddenly has two goals in as many games? I might start liking this Doug Hamilton...

From Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:

Percy: Can you hit anything?

Sundance: Sometimes.

Percy: *throws coin on ground 50+ feet in front of them* Hit that.

Sundance: *crouches and prepares to draw gun*

Percy: No, no, no. *hands him a gun* I just want to know can you shoot?

Sundance: *takes deliberate aim standing up straight and misses a single stationary shot*

Percy: *spits and turns away in disgust*

Sundance: Can I move?

Percy: Move? What the hell ya mean move?

Sundance: *draws, crouches, fans the hammer, and fires two quick shots launching the coin into the air and hitting it again in mid-air* I'm better when I move.

Back