• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Senators 1/6 1:00

Any tips from the cord cutters in ways to watch this game in the Raleigh area?

I link my Sling account to Fox Sports Go ( no charge). Works fine except every once in a while the apps de-link and I have to put in my credentials again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I link my Sling account to Fox Sports Go ( no charge). Works fine except every once in a while the apps de-link and I have to put in my credentials again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox Sports Go (and most of the other streaming apps, such as NBC Sports) does that on a regular basis with my Spectrum account. I guess they just want reauthorization that you're still a subscriber every so often.

Teravainen on the PP, Nilsson had a mask full of Williams’ butt and it’s 5-4.

Edit: Williams gets the goal, he must have gotten a piece of Turbo’s shot.

In the post-game interview, Willy said something about the puck going off his "junk" - no further comment needed!

He also said in the post game interviews that he’s been playing with an injury since November.

Could have been wrist/hand related. He took a nasty slash over the glove in a home game back in November and now that I think about it Hamilton hasn't really been ripping full shots from distance all that much.

Looks like Foegele needs a break. He looked like he had no energy the whole game and it showed on one of the Senators goal when he failed to clear a puck.

The whole team played down to the level of the opponent but somehow eked out the win. Chalk it up and move on

Last edited:
Could have been wrist/hand related. He took a nasty slash over the glove in a home game back in November and now that I think about it Hamilton hasn't really been ripping full shots from distance all that much.

:thumbup1:

:thumbsup(22):

To KT11

Well, it's no accident that the 4th line looked so frisky. That's the line featuring two guys who haven't been through he schedule wringer with the rest of the guys since Christmas. Yeah, I know they've been playing in the A, but the big club has played 9 times since the Christmas break. That's a bunch of hockey. And for the rookies, this is their first time through that kind of grind at this level. That's tough to power through and it's one reason I'm concerned about the club not carrying any depth on this road trip. There's more than one guy in heavy rotation who could use a night off.

Was driving back from Greenville (NC) yesterday and had to listen to the Sirius, Senators feed, on the radio. Not familiar with their play by play guy but he sure did go out of his way to throw shade on the canes on multiple occasions. Just seemed a little snotty and looked down his nose towards us rubes. Amongst other things just kept going on and on about how essentially we are "cooking the books" with our statistics (hits, takeaways, etc). Personally, I could care less and who knows if it's true but it just seemed to be a pattern from this dude. Hope they finish DFL and watch Hughes head on over to another team having given up that pick.

Was driving back from Greenville (NC) yesterday and had to listen to the Sirius, Senators feed, on the radio. Not familiar with their play by play guy but he sure did go out of his way to throw shade on the canes on multiple occasions. Just seemed a little snotty and looked down his nose towards us rubes. Amongst other things just kept going on and on about how essentially we are "cooking the books" with our statistics (hits, takeaways, etc). Personally, I could care less and who knows if it's true but it just seemed to be a pattern from this dude. Hope they finish DFL and watch Hughes head on over to another team having given up that pick.

FWIW, that's a pretty common theme from Canadian and other traditional markets. The new gen stats weenies dispute that line of thinking, but let's face it ... the people pushing that angle regarding the Canes are the same people who rail against the advanced stats guys, so ... whatever.

Easy way to shut up that line of thinking is the home/away splits, adjusting for whatever average difference teams have. "Easy" meaning someone could do it with available data, not that I'm gonna do it :couch

That game against Toronto where we had 29 SOG in the first period, the whole Leafs board here on FI was whining along those same lines about home cooking on the shots, counting by 2, etc.., but their own Athletic reporter went back and rewatched the first period and counted 28 himself, so pththththththtllllllll......

Easy way to shut up that line of thinking is the home/away splits, adjusting for whatever average difference teams have. "Easy" meaning someone could do it with available data, not that I'm gonna do it :couch

That game against Toronto where we had 29 SOG in the first period, the whole Leafs board here on FI was whining along those same lines about home cooking on the shots, counting by 2, etc.., but their own Athletic reporter went back and rewatched the first period and counted 28 himself, so pththththththtllllllll......

Even easier if you subscribe to the Athletic, as there's at least one article from the past month that defends Carolina's shots count. NOT written by our beat writer, so ... from a neutral.

I just wish some of the stat geeks would add a little bit of "human eye" to their analysis. Metrics provide clues not answers and work together with what you actually see. When they tout our Corsi and bad luck given the numbers, but then you watch a game and see the quality of many shots and our lack of finishers---then it becomes interesting.

Would love to see some work that combines the two.

Back