Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Canes @ Lightning 1/10 7:30

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GDT: Canes @ Lightning 1/10 7:30

Can the Canes make it 6?

The streaking Canes travel to Tampa to face the red hot,Lightning. Tampa is 8-1-1 in their last 10 and have an 8 point lead (with 2 games in hand) over Calgary for the best record in the league. They’re the only team with fewer than 10 losses and lead Toronto by 21 in goal differential. Nikita Kucherov leads the league in points and assists. Brayden Point is tied for 5th in goals and is 7th in points. Steven Stamkos has 23 goals (and is -3, the only minus player on the team). Andrei Vasilevskyi is tied for 7th in Save %. They have the best PP in the league at 29.9% and are 9th on the PK.

But the Canes answer with Kegger. Greg McKegg has provided a spark since his recall last week with 4 points in 3 games. The Canes are still DFL in shooting % at 7.3% (Tampa is 1st at 12.4%) but they’re at 14.5% during the 5 game winning streak. We’ll see who is in goal at the skate, but we’ll see both this weekend with games tomorrow and Sunday. McElhinney is 3rd in the league in GAA at 2.25 and 11th in save % at .922.

Fox Sports Southeast for TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Lightning 1/10 7:30

A win would be fantastic but a solid effort in a close game with a lot of 'give a crap' shown would go a long way too. Tampa is flat out crazy good.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot on hot favors the home team .... and let's face it, the team with more talent. Maybe you get out of there with a point and are actually happy about it for once. I think that's the best you can expect in this one. Tampa's on another planet when it comes to team quality.

Post Thanks / Like

While I don't expect a win tonight against the NHL's best team, I am not filled with dread, either. Play hard, be physical and win the puck battles, boys. Go Canes!

Post Thanks / Like

Is Jordy Staal pretty much scrambled brains at this point and likely not back for the foreseeable future? He seems to be more of a long term liability for this team moving forward...seems like a pretty decent trade chip at the deadline if he can get back on the ice soon.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

No lineup changes aside from Mrazek in goal.

McGinn-Aho-Teravainen
    Ferland-Wallmark-Martinook
    Svechnikov-McKegg-Williams
    Foegele-Rask-Maenalanen

Slavin-Pesce
    de Haan-Faulk
    van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

For Tampa, Ryan Callahan is out and JT Miller looks to be also, although he skated today. Sergachev didn’t skate either. Vasilevskiy in goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    Is Jordy Staal pretty much scrambled brains at this point and likely not back for the foreseeable future? He seems to be more of a long term liability for this team moving forward...seems like a pretty decent trade chip at the deadline if he can get back on the ice soon.
    I don’t think he’s Tanabe scrambled, when I did the fan tunnel on 12/11, I saw him downstairs, headed to the press box.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I'd prefer Mac in goal for this one, but since we've got the freaking Sabres at home tomorrow night ... yeah. Play Mrazek and save Mac for them. Bad enough to deal with Sabre fan, we also have the deal with Skinner's first game back. I'd like to think that one gets priority over Tampa on the road.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody might have to look this up, but wasn't Staal also out of the lineup when were we on other runs this season? For some reason, the team is having more success with him scratched. What do you do with that? Sell for a pick ... maybe?
    Shape Up or Ship Out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFG View Post
    Somebody might have to look this up, but wasn't Staal also out of the lineup when were we on other runs this season? For some reason, the team is having more success with him scratched. What do you do with that? Sell for a pick ... maybe?
    I mean ... we only had one proper streak. That four gamer near the start of the season, and Staal was in the lineup for that. I'm not sure what you're talking about there. I mean, I'm fine with trading him but let's not mythologize how "bad" Jordan is. He's not bad. He just doesn't score worth a darn.
    Last edited by jeffbear; 01-10-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Staal or Victor Rask in the lineup?

Any losing we were doing is not because Staal is in the lineup. Yes we may be playing a simpler game or something like that with Jordan out of the lineup, but that same game works with Jordan in the lineup too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFG View Post
    I seem to recall a very deep nose-dive in the second half of last season while Staal was out of the lineup. His play this season may have been due to the health effects he's been suffering, but IMO, we're a much better team when Jordan is healthy and in the lineup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThinIce View Post
    I seem to recall a very deep nose-dive in the second half of last season while Staal was out of the lineup. His play this season may have been due to the health effects he's been suffering, but IMO, we're a much better team when Jordan is healthy and in the lineup.
    Jordan missed 3 games total last season in late February and they were indeed all losses. His last game before that break was 2/18 (2-3 OT home loss against the Devils) and his next game was 3/1 (4-1 away win against the Flyers).

However, those three missed games were also against some fairly formidable opponents:

2/23 6-1 home loss against Penguins

2/24 3-1 away loss against Red Wings

2/27 3-4 OT away loss against Bruins
    Here we are now...entertain us.

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... two formidable opponents and the 2017-18 Red Wings. Who sucked.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! True, but perhaps a bit less so at home.

Although a quick examination shows them to be at about a 2 to 3 ratio of home wins vs. losses to that date.

I do remember being disappointed about that Red Wings loss, in particular.

But then, so much disappointment.
    Here we are now...entertain us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elsker View Post

But then, so much disappointment.
    Yeah ... a giant wave of disappointment. A decade's worth. Hard to pinpoint individual games in the tsunami of failure.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan is huge in the lineup with his size, strength, penalty kill and defensive game in general, and face off capabilities. Any team would love to have him. The difference I see right now may not be do to him not playing, but the team has been trying to be better play makers instead of throwing the puck at the net. Mr Staal plays a more north south hockey game which is usually suited to more break away chances. He needs to bear down and make those plays for sure. But, my point is just because he is out and the team streaked, it doesn't mean it was because he is out. Players had to adjust anyway...shooting percentages and all.
    Last edited by KTown11; 01-10-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to win against an elite team?

Forechecking and Net Crashing!!

Go Canes!!

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
    Steve Kozari #40, Tim Peel #20

Linesmen:
    Bevan Mills #53, Darren Gibbs #66

Canes are 2-0 with Kozari and 0-1 with Peel this year. Both call most of their penalties in the 2nd period, Peel barely makes 25% of his calls in the 3rd. Kozari is 4th in the league at 4.4 penalties per game, Peel is 31st at 3.5.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Blacked out here in North Florida. Listening to John and Trip online while following on NHL.com. Sounds like the boys are attacking a bit.

Forechecking!!!
    Net Crashing!!!
    Tip pucks now boys!!

Go Canes!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast