• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Slugs 1/11 7:30

Svetch will learn and yes, he'll be treated a little differently by the refs as he ages in this league. But he's hustling and working hard - and I'm glad Brindy is letting him fly.

Few random thoughts:

Goaltending ... once again, competent trumps shaky, with Carolina on the plus side. This is starting to be a trend. Even when Mrazek and Mac aren't great, they're decent and that's all we really need to at least have a chance. Mac was no better than average last night, but it was more than good enough.

Special teams ... barf. I have nothing to add other than continued puzzlement that Brindy doesn't start getting Dougie out with the 1st unit more. What the living heck could it hurt? Oh, and that first PK was a freaking embarrassment. A lost draw and a quick shot CANNOT immediately result in three unchecked guys surrounding your crease without some serious awfulness. Get it together, boys.

Buffaloons ... I'm THIS close to putting Buffalo back on my personal don't show list. One more night like last night and they'll be there. Surrounded by drunken, boorish idiots trying their best to pick fights is NOT how I generally prefer to spend my Friday nights.

Skinner ... whatever. You knew he was going to score. I'm just glad it wasn't the hat trick so many of you predicted. I hope he scores 50, and I hope somebody around here finally asks that gasbag Waddell how he sleeps at night having traded that guy for Cliff Freaking Pu.

I don't expect any answer to that last question... I wish skinner nothing but the best except when he plays the Canes...

I'll never be able to spell "Maenalanen" without seeing it written first, but I'm really enjoying watching him play. He's a tough cookie and is playing for keeps. My biggest surprise during this stretch has been the play of Justin Williams. He's been awesome these last few games and has perfected the art of slow moving the puck to get the goalie to commit. Good on him.

Williams, even though he has slowed down, has always, always played a patient game with the puck. For me, when he's in control of the puck, he's controlling the pace and tempo of the game and does force goalies to commit. He just never panics. These last few games has shown the value of an experienced, winning veteran on the team.

Last edited:
Svetch will learn and yes, he'll be treated a little differently by the refs as he ages in this league. But he's hustling and working hard - and I'm glad Brindy is letting him fly.

Svetch was a highly penalized player in juniors as well. He's got 42 minutes of PIM thus far this season and had 67 PIMs in his final year in Barrie. It really is time to break some lazy, bad habits.

Back