• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The worst Powerplay in franchise history

Altair

Even if we don't win the cup this season, we get to watch some history.

The habs are on track to have the worst powerplay in the league, and the worst powerplay in franchise history.

At the start of the year, everyone figured it would get better once weber returned, but it hasn't. Its still shit.

Its clear that the umbrella, or diamond as others call it, isn't working. Too many shots from the faceoff circles are ending up outside the zone. The habs can't enter the zone and step up the powerplay easily. And when they do set up, they aren't moving, they are largely static, predictable, and outworked.

Its clear they miss a QB on the powerplay, like Markov used to be. I also find that Weber, the only real point blast the team has, has been hesitant to use the slapper, even when he has time and space to use it. Guys like ovechkin never turn up the chance to blast it, but weber has been looking for the pass way too often.

They also have nobody screening the goalie. Even webers shot can be stopped if a goalie gets eyes on it. With the umbrella, in theory at least one player should be screening the goalie in front, but in practice it seems like that guy is being boxed out. They need get another player in there to ensure that there is a screen.

Next, stop playing the powerplay like its a powerplay. There is no reason a speedy team that is good 5 on 5 to struggle the way it is on the powerplay. Stop relying so much on set plays, or offensive zone positioning. These are not the capitals with ovechkin in his office. Get out there, play in normal formation and hustle.

Also, fire muller. Seriously, this isn't the first year the PP has struggled like this. At this point, if we miss the playoffs and end up with a middling pick, its going to be because the PP is trash, and that's on muller.

Re: The wosrt Powerplay in franchise history

At the start of the year, everyone figured it would get better once weber returned, but it hasn't. Its still shit.

I know I definitely questioned this line of thinking... remember, the PP only got going last year after Weber got hurt.

It's crazy how bad it is now though.

I know I definitely questioned this line of thinking... remember, the PP only got going last year after Weber got hurt.

It's crazy how bad it is now though.

Yeah, with the lack of traffic in front of the goalie and movement, webers shot is being wasted.

But to be dead last in the league, I never saw that coming.

No surprise here ...we have no finishers

We have no front line talent

I hate the diamond setup, the middle guy is virtually useless in our setup.

We are lacking movement, but from the players and also from the puck. Things needs to keep moving to force the defensive box to move. We need one timer threats from both sides (which we lack) as well as a threat down low when the defense is cheating on the outside. There is no backdoor threat at all. We're lacking hustle, and we can't get on rebounds. Finally our entry zone is terrible, partially because of lack of hustle.

Our power play is as bad as the spelling of the thread title.

Yeah, if only a mod with mod powers could use those mod powers to edit it like a good mod.
The correct reply to my post was "lol."

It was a funny joke... Typos happen... Sometimes they set up for a good joke and other times you ignore them an move on. This time set up for a joke.

The correct reply to my post was "lol."

It was a funny joke... Typos happen... Sometimes they set up for a good joke and other times you ignore them an move on. This time set up for a joke.

It was a okay joke.

If the habs powerplay could get as much right as my thread title, they would be league leaders.

We're worse on the PP with Weber, mostly because we become one dimensional and highly predictable.

We are lacking movement, but from the players and also from the puck. Things needs to keep moving to force the defensive box to move. We need one timer threats from both sides (which we lack) as well as a threat down low when the defense is cheating on the outside. There is no backdoor threat at all. We're lacking hustle, and we can't get on rebounds. Finally our entry zone is terrible, partially because of lack of hustle.

You nailed it , however give us a Kucherov and Stammer or Marner and Matthews upfront and we aren't this bad .

We just don't have any elite scoring and playmaking threat upfront .

In today’s NHL you need to get the goalie moving. They don’t do that.

In today’s NHL you need to get the goalie moving. They don’t do that.

There are completely unable to perform a cross ice pass, I think they have like 10% success attempting it.

We were so spoiled with markov

Weber was one of our best PP performer with Markov. He's also been one of our worse without him. Seriously, he has 3G, 3A in 48 games in the last 2 seasons. 6 points in about 160 minutes of PP.

The wosrt Powerplay in franchise history

Markov has made so many guys look good. Komisarek owes Markov for his fat contract. Souray wasn’t as good on thePP without Markov. Defenders had to respect Markov and that allowed guys like Weber to be open more often.

Markov has made so many guys look good. Komisarek owes Markov for his fat contract. Souray wasn’t as good on thePP without Markov. Defenders had to respect Markov and that allowed guys like Weber to be open more often.

And I don't think I've ever seen someone as good as Markov at setting up a one timer. I recall some player even commenting how he always put the right spin on the puck for the guy he's setting up depending on if they were a lefty or righty.

I really blame ovechkin making the umbrella/diamond the META setup. Every team uses it, but not every team has the personnel to make it work.

The habs clearly don't, but they haven't moved from it, they keep trying to make it work. But at this point its insanity.

Back