• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Rangers 1/15 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A quick trip to the Canes House of Horrors.

The Canes haven’t won at MSG since October, 2010, going 0-12-3 and getting out scored 54-20. But these are not those Rangers. The Blueshirts have started 2019 by winning only 1 of their 7 games and are 3-6-1 in their last 10. Despite that, they’re only 6 points behind the Canes, with 43 points in 45 games. That also puts them only 3 points ahead of the last place Flyers. Chris Kreider leads with 21 goals. Mika Zibanejad has 25 assists and 37 points but is -16. Canes killer Mats Zuccarello has 7g, 11 a in 32 games and is -19. He missed 13 games in November/December with a groin injury. King Henrik is having a bad year in goal, with a 3.08/.908 stat line. His GAA has risen steadily since the 14-15 season. The Rangers are 18th on the PP at 18.6% and 26th on the PK at 76.6%

Shouldn’t be any changes for the Canes, except the goalie rotation. Bishop practiced yesterday in a non-contact Jersey. Staal didn’t practice.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of the numbers for the Rangers matter. Its the Canes at MSG. That said, this is a game the Canes should be able to win, handily. Just get the 2 points and get out of there.

Well, I'd say the issue is more the matchup problem and less the building. All these years of subpar goalies facing off with The King is kind of starting a 100 meter race 10 meters behind the other guy, for one. And maybe a bigger factor is just the kind of team that NYR generally puts on the ice. They definitely trend towards more vets and less prospects on the big club, and they ALWAYS have size. Carolina definitely trends younger and less physical. THIS Canes team has less of a problem in both respects. Lundqvist is slowing with age and the Canes aren't the 150 pound weaklings they've been in the past. We're still very young though, and New York's big, aggressive centers in particular are still a problem for our guys.

None of the numbers for the Rangers matter. Its the Canes at MSG. That said, this is a game the Canes should be able to win, handily. Just get the 2 points and get out of there.

A 15 game streak of no wins at MSG dating back to 2010 is just plain awful. And Quinn is fresh off an epic post game rant about how brutal his team played last time out...should make for an interesting game tonight. If the Canes play anything like Sunday they should break the MSG slump tonight!

Here's the thing. You guys know how much I hate "must win" scenarios. But honestly, the next two games are pretty much golden opportunities to extend this run the Canes have been on before the schedule take a hard right turn into the briar patch. They've got a pretty moribund NYR team tonight and then back home for the horrific Senators, and then ... woof. The traditional tour of Western Canada followed by an EIGHT day break for the ASG.

If they're going to keep riding this wave, the two games this week are pretty much make or break for the streak.

Here's the thing. You guys know how much I hate "must win" scenarios. But honestly, the next two games are pretty much golden opportunities to extend this run the Canes have been on before the schedule take a hard right turn into the briar patch. They've got a pretty moribund NYR team tonight and then back home for the horrific Senators, and then ... woof. The traditional tour of Western Canada followed by an EIGHT day break for the ASG.

If they're going to keep riding this wave, the two games this week are pretty much make or break for the streak.

Yep, and teams like the Islanders and Montreal continue to overachieve and the Habs walk right into Beantown and beat the Bruins last night, so games the teams you are chasing should lose are not going the Canes way either. Win the next two, stay close in the chase for a playoff spot and then hope you can stay hot when you head out West.

Yeah. Of the teams Carolina is chasing, really only the Sabres have been backing up. And even then the Canes have only made up 7 points on them over the last 10 games. I mean, Toronto and Washington aren't doing anything but treading water lately, but they're WAY out of Carolina's league in terms of points. And look, this is nothing new. Carolina has been through these woods for more years than not in this going on 10 season skid. We're almost always sitting around in February chasing points that were cheaply tossed aside back in October through December. Unless my memory is completely gone, I think the Canes only fell from any kind of height in the table once or twice during these 10 years. Otherwise, welcome to normal folks. Population 21-22 on the active roster.

A veteran officials crew tonight:

Referees:
Kevin Pollock #33, Brad Watson #23

Linesmen:
Ryan Galloway #82, Jonny Murray #95

Galloway is the junior member of the quartet and he’s worked 1,045 games.

Canes are 0-1 with Pollock and 0-2 with Watson this year after going 2-2 with both last year. Both heavily weight their calls in the 2nd period, Watson makes only 27% of his calls in the 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeAngelo at 1:16 answered by Maenalanen unassisted, 1-1 with 8 to go in the first as the Rangers head to the PP.

Canes can beat the Predators, but they can't figure out the teams from New York...

It’s all between the ears for the Canes at MSG! They pretty much were doomed from the drop of the puck, they made a below average Ranger team look like Cup contenders.

The highlight of the night was the Marley Drug girl making two appearances on the commercial feed...that was the only thing to get a rise out of me...

Last edited:
A stinker was inevitable... hopefully it doesn't start the next trend. Get over it and move on.

I'm just glad that I noticed the scoring on my phone before attempting to watch this debacle. Hard to believe we've lost 16 in a row at MSG. Bad Canes! Bad!

Back