• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Odds of Habs making the playoffs

Rocket

Vegas odds at the start of the year paied 5 to 1 if you picked Habs to make the playoffs.

As it stands right now, I'm thinking it's about 50/50. 2 to 1.

The powerplay is terrible, the top guns are slowing down, the last stretch of the season includes arugably the most difficult one with matches vs CBJ, WPG, TBL, WSH and TOR in that order to end the season.

The Sabres and Panthers are slumping bad.

How do you guys see the chances of Habs making it ? Predictions ?

That's what the number crunching websites say. If TB, Toronto, Washington, Pittsburgh and Boston are considered locks, the Habs are competing with Columbus, Buffalo, NY Islanders and maybe Carolina for 3 spots. They're slightly ahead of Buffalo and Carolina so they have a bit of a leg up on those two. I think they make it if there are no major injuries (specifically to Price or Weber), especially if they add a good LD at the deadline. Whether or not trading draft picks/prospects for that LD is worth it is another story.

This team will be back to the regular, making the playoffs out in 1st/2nd round for the next 5+ years. Then Price will get too old to trade, and we'll be eating his contract and we'll have some other dead weights, and a new GM will be here for 2025. The small rebuild was nice while it lasted but there's still not enough first line talent up front or on D.

Vegas odds at the start of the year paied 5 to 1 if you picked Habs to make the playoffs.

As it stands right now, I'm thinking it's about 50/50. 2 to 1.

The powerplay is terrible, the top guns are slowing down, the last stretch of the season includes arugably the most difficult one with matches vs CBJ, WPG, TBL, WSH and TOR in that order to end the season.

The Sabres and Panthers are slumping bad.

How do you guys see the chances of Habs making it ? Predictions ?

Habs will make the playoffs in the 8 slot IMO. I think the Sabres will eventually fade out and the Isles underlying numbers aren't great.

Playoffs are a different animal and if Price is on his game and team D is solid, anything can happen. I don't see a deep playoff run but an upset in the first round would be nice. I'd rather avoid the Lightning though.

This team will be back to the regular, making the playoffs out in 1st/2nd round for the next 5+ years. Then Price will get too old to trade, and we'll be eating his contract and we'll have some other dead weights, and a new GM will be here for 2025. The small rebuild was nice while it lasted but there's still not enough first line talent up front or on D.

Price will be in Seattle in 3 years

Edmonton could miss again. What a waste of 97's career. He should have been like an NBA player and demanded a trade from that organization.

If they keep giving up 40 or more shots a game the odds will decrease. If they fix that, probably about 65-70 percent (Buffalo has games in hand so it can’t be 80 percent).

I would peg it at 75%.

More so because there are really only 4 teams battling for two wildcard spots and one of them still has some catching up to do which is Carolina.

I think one of the Sabres or Isles will fizzle out if it's not already happening with Buffalo.

The percentages are meaningless. We were at 99% in 2015 and finished way out.

Still, we would have to choke to miss.

The percentages are meaningless. We were at 99% in 2015 and finished way out.

Still, we would have to choke to miss.

Not really. Assuming that we were at 99% in 2015, after at least enough games played to render the calculation at least somewhat statistically relevant, and then didn't make it, just shows how monumental the collapse was that season. A collapse of that nature again is unlikely (hence the 99% likelihood that would make the playoffs that season).

Last edited:
I would peg it at 75%.

More so because there are really only 4 teams battling for two wildcard spots and one of them still has some catching up to do which is Carolina.

I think one of the Sabres or Isles will fizzle out if it's not already happening with Buffalo.

Again, you don't need to guess. These are calculated for us with algorithms and facts.

Back