• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Odds of Habs making the playoffs

No they don't.

There is a reason why only 1 or 2 8th seeds have won the Stanley Cup in this history of the NHL. This whole "anything can happen in the playoffs" is actually complete bullshit when you look at history and facts.

Outlier's aren't the norm.

I agree. However we have a decent record of upsetting the top seeded teams. But doing 4 upsets in a row is a statistical improbability, something only the Kings have achieved, and they were red hot coming into the playoffs. However there is a few more 8th seeded teams that have made it to the finals.

Because we all remember the teams that did it and feel that our team can do it as well, despite what the numbers tell us.

You remember the teams? I think there was one 8th seed (Kings?) in the history of the NHL to win the Stanley Cup (maybe 2??) in the 100 year history of the NHL.

Last edited:
I agree. However we have a decent record of upsetting the top seeded teams. But doing 4 upsets in a row is a statistical improbability, something only the Kings have achieved, and they were red hot coming into the playoffs. However there is a few more 8th seeded teams that have made it to the finals.

So in a nutshell, as I said -- outliers are not the norm and the old saying of "anything can happen in the playoffs (in all sports)" is actually quite bullshit.

So in a nutshell, as I said -- outliers are not the norm and the old saying of "anything can happen in the playoffs (in all sports)" is actually quite bullshit.

I won't say anything can happen in the playoffs.

I will say making the playoffs is better than finishing 9th in the east.

Well then, let's just cut the playoffs down to the top team in each conference, why let the others play if they have no chance.

Didn't the Predators come within two games of winning after being 16th overall?

Maybe, but they didn't win. The discussion we are having here is around how 8th seeds essentially never win the cup.

However, your comment above is a common statement. Example: What about Edmonton that one year? What about Philly that one year? What about some other 8th seed or bubble team? Etc.

They didn't win.

The old saying that "anything can happen" simply doesn't hold water based on facts and history. Unless you consider the outlier (Kings) as the norm.

Last edited:
“anything can happen” is not bs. It’s literally quite accurate. Doesn’t mean anyone should bet the house on “it” happening if the Habs make the playoffs, but you’ll probably be watching to see if anything happens.

“anything can happen” is not bs. It’s literally quite accurate. Doesn’t mean anyone should bet the house on “it” happening if the Habs make the playoffs, but you’ll probably be watching to see if anything happens.

The best compete team I have seen in years regardless what happens

Back