• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Goodbye Victor - Rask Traded

...and remembering Victor's contract, before you say "Oh, maybe THERE's the extra Ferland money", Neiderreiter makes $5.25 for 3 more years, so net $1.25 * 3 years more expensive than Rask's $4x3 remaining (that's cap hit. Neiderreiter's actual salary bounces around a little from year to year, but it's still in that general neighborhood)

Last edited:
I didn't include 'trade Rask for another not so great contract' as an option in my 'Rask's contract can be dealt' discussion but there you go.

I'm going to need some time to digest this. On one hand Rask is gone, and that was just dead money so well, yeah. But Nino is making more money and has a bigger cap hit for the same amount of years left (3). He isn't exactly earning his paycheck either this season. And he is not a center.

I guess my first impression is a positive one, we got rid of Rask in a change of scenery trade and brought in a guy who potentially can help generate offense for a little bit more money on the same term. I'm trying to figure out the lineup now though for Friday night, especially if Bishop isn't 100% ready (or even if he is ready).

Last edited:
Maybe this is our chance to have a guy underperform until he is traded. while acknowledging the center issues, I really like this move

I don't think anyone thought we would get ANYTHING out of this, so even if we're paying more it will be nice to get something in return. Time will tell if el Nino can deliver the goods.

since Nino was playing for a US team I think that means there are no visa issues that could delay his Canes debut. If he was on a Canadian team that could mean extra paperwork.

also for another center they could bring up Necas who is obviously way cheaper than Rask was.

Last edited:
Well, I guess since we dealt Hanafin and Lindholm, we were a bit short on underachieving 5th overall picks.

But seriously, aside from a nightly Greg McKegg hat trick candidate (goal, assist, cool name), he generally sports a good shooting percentage, and he is Czeck, so maybe he's Necas' (not so distant) future winger now that we're down a center.

I remember wanting the Canes to draft Nino. He never fully panned out as an elite player. But there's potential there. Rask wasn't getting it done.

Ahh ... we traded Rask for a Swiss Miss. Congrats.

IIRC wasn't this board pretty deeply in love with Nino in his draft year? I'm not really asking, because I remember pretty clearly that he was that summer's Gauthier ... you know ... bigger guy who supposed to mature into a proper power forward that everybody wants the Canes to take every single year. Yeah. He's fine. He's had a respectable career, albeit one with a slow start that saw his draft team lose patience. He's been a 30-something point, 3rd line kind of winger for most of his career, although I think he had a couple of sizzlers for the Wild a couple of years back. I know their fans gave up on him last year after a blasé season and he hasn't done anything this year to speak of. Kind of the perfect candidate for a change of scenery move, as is Rask ... so. Yay us, I guess.

As noted, this weakens our pool of centers even more, so I'm NOT thrilled with that. But seeing as how Victor seemed to have settled firmly into "not going to do anything ever" mode, whatever. Nino's got game and he actually plays solid defensive hockey so he's got that baseline over Rask in spades. This move doesn't make us that much better, but it doesn't make us worse either. Fine. Oh, and to Kahuna's point ... no. There's no more "potential" for this guy. He's fully baked and his upside is firmly established. He's a 3rd line forward forward on a decent team. Period.

Last edited:
Anyone try to put together a lineup yet with another winger in the mix? Let's say Bishop is still a no go tomorrow and we call up Necas (which to me is nutty). Which winger are you pulling from the lineup? Foegele or Maenalanen? Brock McGinn? Nino is not a PK, at all....

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Neiderreiter
Martinook-McKegg-Williams
Maenalanen-Necas-McGinn (Foegele to the bench or minors?)

Last edited:
Anyone try to put together a lineup yet with another winger in the mix? Let's say Bishop is still a no go tomorrow and we call up Necas (which to me is nutty). Which winger are you pulling from the lineup? Foegele or Maenalanen? Brock McGinn? Nino is not a PK, at all....

If they pull Maenalanen for this guy the way he's been playing, I'll be salty. VERY salty.

Well then, that seems to indicate that Dundon and crew are planning to try to make a push here. This was a pretty good first move considering it improved our talent level by quite a bit for just the cost of a little more money. The next trade has to include a center coming back though.

Last edited:
Back