• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Goodbye Victor - Rask Traded

Well then, that seems to indicate that Dundon and crew are planning to try to make a push here. This was a pretty good first move considering it improved our talent level by quite a bit for just the cost of a little more money. The next trade has to include a center coming back though.

I only wish I had confidence that the organization sees it that way. I don't. This team has been screaming for an upgrade at center all freaking season. Now you straight up only have three guys you can say even play the position with a straight face ... and two of them are AHLers, if we're being honest.

Do

Something

At

Center

Anyone try to put together a lineup yet with another winger in the mix? Let's say Bishop is still a no go tomorrow and we call up Necas (which to me is nutty). Which winger are you pulling from the lineup? Foegele or Maenalanen? Brock McGinn? Nino is not a PK, at all....

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Neiderreiter
Martinook-McKegg-Williams
Maenalanen-Necas-McGinn (Foegele to the bench or minors?)

They could slide Martinook over to 4C and move McGinn to 3LW. In 2016-17, he took the 2nd most face offs for the Coyotes, 1,037. Unfortunately, he only won 44.4% of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could slide Martinook over to 4C and move McGinn to 3LW. In 2016-17, he took the 2nd most face offs for the Coyotes, 1,037. Unfortunately, he only won 44.4% of them.

I mean, I guess. That would make your centers Aho, McKegg, Bishop and Martinook. So ... back to my pervious position. GO GET SOMEBODY ELSE

My first reaction to this was that it felt positive so that's what I'm going with. This trade makes the competition for third line center a bit less... competitive.

Nino has proven he can consistently put up 20 goals. Rask continually wilts.

Puts Ferlands contract talks into perspective too.

How so? Ferland is looking for Wilson money and we’ve brought Niedereitter in for that price.

Doesn't lend much perspective to Ferland's negotiations, unless you mean that Ferland is worth at least as much as Nino ... who makes $5 million and change. And I'm not complaining about the move, but Nino managed 18 goals last season and is on pace for about the same this year. He's hardly a scoring machine. He's fine, don't get me wrong, but he's NOT a replacement for Ferland. They're two completely different kind of players.

That cloak of invisibility fit Rask entirely too well. I'm not sad to see him gone. I remember thinking that once Rask healed from slicing his hand, the team would improve... Then that cold slap of reality struck when Rask was full on in placeholder mode and just skating around to make grooves in the ice for no apparent reason. Good luck in Minnesota.

Hoping the war chief lights a fire under Neiderreiter, gets him playing like he means it, and he fits with the rest of the team.

Now, sign Ferland and get a real freaking center!

Jim

I mean, I guess. That would make your centers Aho, McKegg, Bishop and Martinook. So ... back to my pervious position. GO GET SOMEBODY ELSE

I agree that we need another center, but you forgot Wallmark.

Doesn't lend much perspective to Ferland's negotiations, unless you mean that Ferland is worth at least as much as Nino ... who makes $5 million and change. And I'm not complaining about the move, but Nino managed 18 goals last season and is on pace for about the same this year. He's hardly a scoring machine. He's fine, don't get me wrong, but he's NOT a replacement for Ferland. They're two completely different kind of players.

Those 18 goals were in 63 games, a 23 goal pace. Since joining the Wild in 2013-14, he’s averaged 21 goals per 82 games.

This is right up there with the Tomas Kaberle acquisition as things I wished happened five years earlier.

Last edited:
How so? Ferland is looking for Wilson money and we’ve brought Niedereitter in for that price.

Well, in every rumor/leak/insider bit I've seen, it sounds like Ferland is looking for North of 6m per. He will be lucky to get that.

Well, in every rumor/leak/insider bit I've seen, it sounds like Ferland is looking for North of 6m per. He will be lucky to get that.

Yeah, I saw that he’s looking for closer to Evander Kane money, which is 7 years/$49 million. Kane has averaged 27 goals per 82 games over a 602 game career. Ferland...has not.

Let's be optimistic, that this is a pre-move for acquiring a center!

The center that seems to be out there and might be available and would be a nice fit for the Canes is Brayden Schenn. I’m not sure if there is a fit in a trade but that’s the type of center I hope the Canes can acquire. I’m a bit shocked Nino makes that much money with that much term left so color me unimpressed overall with the trade other than moving Rask who has become damn near useless.

I agree that we need another center, but you forgot Wallmark.

Those 18 goals were in 63 games, a 23 goal pace. Since joining the Wild in 2013-14, he’s averaged 21 goals per 82 games.

I did. My apologies for that.

And I again declare that I am not minimizing Nino. I am more tempering this idea that he reduces the importance of keeping Ferland. He’s a big body and a decent scorer, but he’s no snorting, angry bull of a forward. I fear we made this move exactly for that reason ... to take the sting out of trading away Ferland sometime in the next month. I’m not falling for it.

I did. My apologies for that.

And I again declare that I am not minimizing Nino. I am more tempering this idea that he reduces the importance of keeping Ferland. He’s a big body and a decent scorer, but he’s no snorting, angry bull of a forward. I fear we made this move exactly for that reason ... to take the sting out of trading away Ferland sometime in the next month. I’m not falling for it.

I fear you’re right. But the glass half full in me says this is in lieu of Tarasenko?

I agree that Nino is not a Ferland replacement. I do think that this move slams the door on Ferland and that's the part I don't like. I'll also agree that 2 of our "current" centers are AHL players.. I'll also state that they have outplayed Rask.. I wish Rask good luck in his new home and team (Unless they play Carolina) I think this trade is a win. but We need a center.(2C or greater No Staal doesn't count).. and we need a top 6 forward still.

Back