• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Senators 1/18 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After a dismal trip to Broadway, the Canes look to right the ship in the last home game for 2 weeks.

We get to welcome the new guy tonight, we’ll see where he slots in the morning skate. He brings a 3 game point streak with him too. RBA said that Bishop might be able to play tonight; if that’s the case, they have to do something with McKegg. Trading Rask means we’re 1 Center short; we’ll see how that shakes out at the skate too. As noted in another thread, Ned was recalled as McElhinney deals with a flareup of his knee issue.

Since losing to the Canes 12 days ago, the Sens have won 3 of 4 and are coming off a 5-2 win over the Ava on Wednesday. Duchene has 2 goals and an assist. He has 20 goals, 1 behind Mark Stone for tops on the team. This is the first night of the Sens’ father’s trip too.

It’s Star Wars night at PNC. The last time, the usher in my section was replaced by a couple of Storm Troopers. I didn’t have to worry about seat poachers with them around. Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

GD - Canes vs. Senators 7:30 pm

I guess I can do this too. Chewbacca and friends should be in the house.

And on that note ticket free, I have. I promise I won't bite. You can probably just sit on your own rather than with me anyway. Message me for the freebie.

At least this year I’m not salty about missing out of the Star Wars shirt, because this one sucks.

The game ... you guys know the drill. Get back on the horse and beat a bad team on home ice before you have to jet west for a tough road swing. I mean, it’s a pressure scenario but they should get used to that if they want to even pretend to be a playoff team. Ottawa is on their Father’s trip, if that matters to anybody. It doesn’t to me. Just go beat these guys.

Minor update ... apparently Nino will make his debut on a line with Williams and Kegger. Fine.

Bishop is still out, so Maenalanen is centering the 4th line. Martinook/Wallmark/Svechnikov together and Aho’s line is unchanged.

I sure hope the Nino trade and a healthy Bishop does not see a Maenalanen demotion to Charlotte. Saku brings size, grit and a nose for the net and has shown he can contribute offensively. If Staal makes it back soon lets stay with this something like this for awhile:

Aho-Teuvo-Ferland
Wallmark-Martinook-Svech
Staal-Foegele-Maenalanen
McKegg-Williams-Nino
McGinn

Tonight’s officials

Referees:
Pierre Lambert #37, Ian Walsh #29

Linesmen:
Steve Miller #89, Bryan Pancich #94

Canes are 1-1 this year with each of the refs. Lambert makes most of his calls in the 2nd period, Walsh makes the same number in the 2nd and 3rd. Walsh looks to have a pretty big home team bias. Home teams are 26-18 in his games and he calls more penalties on the visitors in 18% of his games, 2nd in the league.

Ned's projected as Mrazek's backup... I'd rather see him start and not waste the call-up, but Mrazek's been adequate.

Ned's projected as Mrazek's backup... I'd rather see him start and not waste the call-up, but Mrazek's been adequate.

No thanks. I'd like to win.

I'm being a touch harsh, but I've seen that kid handle the puck and if he hasn't fixed that part of his game then I want him nowhere near an NHL crease. And based on some Cherkers lowlights I've seen, he hasn't.

Sens going with Anders Nilsson in goal. Anderson is recovered from his concussion and will be the backup. They’re going with 11 forwards tonight too, same lineup as the Avs game.

Dzingel - Duchene - Ryan
Tkachuk - Tieney - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Paarjarvi
Boedker - Balcers

Chabot - DeMelo
Lajoie - Ceci
Borowiecki - Jaros
Wolanin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be ridiculous. So much negativity. Don't underestimate this teams ability to go on another run, and leapfrog into 9th or 10th before the season ends.

How do you even try to explain the Jekyl & Hyde play of this team when you compare Sunday’s effort to the last two games? It’s just maddening to follow this team when you see how inconsistent they can be.

Don't be ridiculous. So much negativity. Don't underestimate this teams ability to go on another run, and leapfrog into 9th or 10th before the season ends.

I think I stated that point in the Futility thread. It's not "Welcome to Last Year," it's "Welcome to EVERY year."

This is probably the first decade of franchise existence where they haven't had at least one year where they've done something useful.

And sorry JB, maybe Ned wouldn't be winning the game right now, but Mrazek isn't either.

Last edited:
For all the effective effort the team gave I could have started in net and not made a save and I still would have been better then half the team tonight.

Back