• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flames 1/22 9:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Say, you look familiar.

After scoring a touchdown on Sunday, the Canes step up in class against the night flying Flames. The Flames lead the Western Conference by 5 points over Winnipeg and lead San Jose in the division by 6 points with 69 points in 50 games. They’re hot too, 8-1-1 in their last 10 games, best in the league. Johnny Hockey and Sean Monahan are both in the top 10 in points and goals. Gaudreau and Mark Giordano are in the top 10 in assists. Giordano, Elias Lindholm and TJ Brodie are 1-2 in +/-. Derek Ryan has 4g, 12a and is one of 2 players with a negative +/-. He’s also winning 57.3% of his faceoffs. Noah Hanifin has 4g, 21a, 2nd in points among dmen, playing over 21 minutes per game. David Rittich has played the most games in goal and has a 2.49/.917 stat line. They’re 8th on the PP but only 22nd on the PK.

The Canes only used 11 forwards on Sunday with Ferland a late scratch. He practiced yesterday but we’ll see what the lines hold this morning, the line combos on Sunday were very different from the usual. Expect Mrazek in goal, we might see Ned in Vancouver tomorrow night against a weaker opponent, albeit a team in the playoff hunt.

Fox Sports Southeast for TV.

Hopefully Ferland is good to go and able to play his normal hard game because Calgary has a number of guys including Matthew Tkachuk who will be taking liberties all over the place. Apparently Ferland and Tkachuk are buddies.

I'm not going to post all of the links but sportsnet.ca has several articles/interviews related to this game, Dougie Hamilton, Elias Lindholm, etc. Just pop over to that main link.

Ah, the Bill Peters Bowl. Great.

Yeah, it looks like Ferland is going to be a game day decision, with no extra forwards to step in if he can't go. Taking no extra Fs on this trip was just ... brilliant. And also yeah, Mrazek in net seems to be a no brainier as you don't want Ned to have to try and fend off Calgary's ridiculous first line. Lindy made a good line even better and Carolina has struggled with Gaudreau in recent years, sort of like everybody else in the league. Forget Peters' score 3 or more thing, the Flames have scored 4 or better in 7 of their last 8 games. Yeah ... offense. What a concept.

Make no mistake, this Calgary team is a LOT better than the Hurricanes so any kind of point you can salvage out of this one is a huge plus. I think trying to lock these guys down is probably a mistake. Better to go see if you can score some goals and let the chips fall where they may. You don't want a track meet, but trying to play like the Islanders or Devils won't work against this lot either.

With that said, Neds might the choice in goal. If we fail to get a point tonight, then the two points tomorrow are really a must and do you throw Neds out in a must win game? Maybe the team rally's around the kid and we go toe to toe in the skating and physical departments because they're jacked up flying around ready to go from the start. Or not ...

I could buy into that thought process JFG, but I think Roddie would love to not have to play Neds at all. If he can hold out Neds tonight maybe Mrazek gets so dialed in tonight that you can come back with him tomorrow? Or McElhinney suddenly heals up and can play tomorrow?

I do understand what you are saying though.

I could buy into that thought process JFG, but I think Roddie would love to not have to play Neds at all. If he can hold out Neds tonight maybe Mrazek gets so dialed in tonight that you can come back with him tomorrow? Or McElhinney suddenly heals up and can play tomorrow?

I do understand what you are saying though.

Yeah ... Mrazek is erratic. He could well swing straight into good form even though he's been all over the place in his last two starts. Apparently McElhinney is just dealing with soreness in that knee, not some sort of structural injury. That could well be fine sooner rather than later as well. Honestly, you don't want Ned playing at this level unless you're out fo options. Kid's just not ready.

Ferland is skating, McGinn and Martinook are not. Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGinn and Martinook are OK. RBA says “nothing will be won this morning”.

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Ferland-Wallmark-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Martinook-McGinn
Foegele-McKegg-Maenalanen

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
de Haan-van Riemsdyk

Mrazek in goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the bloody hell is Brind'Amour doing scrambling the D pairings as he apparently is doing?!?

We tried that Slavin / Hamilton pairing Rod, remember? Didn't work at all because BOTH of them are puck carriers that love to jump in to the play. That's why Slavin / Pesce works.

If you want to give Hamilton some cover, how about pairing him with de Haan like we have NEVER done, despite nearly everyone calling for it?

de Haan / TVR?!? What a waste of an excellent resource. And I'm talking about de Haan, not TVR.

Sheesh.

At least I'll be howling at the full moon (one day removed) tonight. :laugh:

Guess when Brindy found the bag of bones that Mo used to throw to come up with forward line combinations he decided to throw them for the defense pairings, as well.

Pesce held his own on his offside against Edmonton and actually excelled at it, so I am into giving it a hard look. My thought was to move Slavin to his offside on the power-play. His deek to the slot would be unstoppable. Hamilton could move to the left side also, but Slavin would thrive in my opinion.

My picks for players to watch tonight are Svechnikov and Teravainen. I have been picking a player before each game. So far I have been surprised, so I thought to write it down this time. Humor me :)

Gonna have to scramble to find this one on tv? No signs of it yet. All college bball on FS networks.

Ch. 324 (Special Events 2) on Raleigh Spectrum (old TWC) has it listed as "NHL Hockey" beginning at 9 PM - 11:30 PM. That's the channel that has consistently had it this season when moved off FSC, whether designated or not.

Pro tip, DVR start (or view) 30 minutes early for the pre-game show. It will be broadcast, but never shows up on this channel's schedule.

Similarly, add a half-hour (or more) to the end for the OT and/or post-game runover.

Back