• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Devils 2/10 3:00

A Canes goalie can get run all night, and not a damned thing is said. But Kincaid is getting the Tom Brady treatment today.

A Canes goalie can get run all night, and not a damned thing is said. But Kincaid is getting the Tom Brady treatment today.

Officially the call on Nino was interference with Severson, not Kinkaid and that call was correct. He took Severson down in the crease.

Pretty sure every game Jason Shaya has called for the Canes this year has been a loss. Forslund owes the Canes money.

Oh well, Ba Da Bing.

Brind'Amour's refusal to make any changes to the PP units, especially continuing to keep plugging away with Faulk over Hamilton on the first PP unit, is killing this team.

You just can't keep throwing the same mess over the wall and attributing failure to execute to some kind of voodoo "puck luck".

There's more to this game than "rah, rah, rah". Yes, we need some more team skill, no doubt. But also could use some X's and O's from the coaching staff to work with whatever it is we have right now.

However, disappointing game all around. It's not just the PP. But having a even a semi-reliable one would cure a lot.

Despite the loss (and the opening period), I actually liked the effort this team made - especially in the 3rd. I think playing 3 games in 4 days can be tough, even though the Devils played the night before. Let's see how the Canes respond on Tuesday. Last year when there was even a hint at a wild card chance, the team went on a tailspin. Let's hope they're made of sterner stuff this time around.

Yeah, Brindamours ignorant reluctance to make ANY CHANGES TO THE PP is making a lot of people question his ability to coach. Even Tripp.
SaraCiv notices too.

You're doing it wrong.

I didn't get to see the first period and apparently, I'm lucky I didn't. They looked a little spent to me and lacked energy. Where they have out-worked their recent opponents, they just didn't seem to have it today. The Hurricanes have been playing their @$$e$ off for the past few games and I'm not surprised they came down to earth.

Jim

Devils win 3-2. Brutal 1st period killed the Canes. On to Ottawa.

The most disturbing thing about that loss is the fact that is a terrible Devils team missing their very best player and the Devils played yesterday. The start was horrid and really no excuse to not come away with points today. It’s games like today why this team is always a few wins short of the playoffs.

Thoughts:

Power Play ... yeah. Brindy learned his lesson about mixing up the forward lines and a defense pairs when things got stagnuts earlier in the season, but has yet to learn the same lesson about his power play units. Same crap we saw out of Peters for four years, which makes this doubly frustrating. Here's the bottom line ... our last two coaches INSIST on attempting to "balance" the two power play units when in truth we barely have enough talent on the roster to make up one decent unit. You can't get didactic about this stuff. If it ain't working, mix it up. Period.

Goalie Interference ... I get the angst, but I honestly don't have any problem with the calls yesterday. Nino jacked a defenseman into Kincaid and got called for it. No arguments here. That's avoidable to be sure. Tie the guy up in front, but don't lever him onto his keeper. Before that when Williams got knocked into Kincaid, the refs correctly made no call at all ... despite contact with the keeper AND Williams managing to get his stick up into Kincaid's mask. Again ... no complaints. Jersey had a few, but so what? At least the ref didn't respond to Kincaid's complaining by calling about three retribution penalties because his delicate little feelings were hurt.

First Period ... I think I mentioned this upstream somewhere, but that first period was coming for awhile now. They started the last two games a bit slowly as well. You've got a young team stuck on a long road trip and trying their best to grind out a playoff spot. They're collectively gassed both physically and mentally. Sooner or later one of these opponents was going to put the dagger in when Carolina started like they had water in the gas lines, and Jersey did.

Look ... go beat Ottawa and you can come home feeling pretty doggone good about this roadie. That's do-able.

Back