• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Ottawa 2/12 7:30

Big win. 4-1 roadie Much better than 3-2.

Assuming 11 is back soon how much of a plus should that be for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sens folded all too easily after the Canes scored their first goal... a fragile team. I was uncertain the Canes could hold onto the lead, but the Sens just melted away. One or two halfhearted efforts by Ottawa, but nothing substantial.

Yes, andyt, I didn't see that period coming. A great 3rd period and what great road trip for the boys! Can't recall the last time we won 4 of 5 on roadie and came away with 8 points!

Last edited:
I used to think Boucher was a pretty good coach..., but he's got some serious talent and if he can't get them playing well enough to make some noise them maybe he ain't so good after all!

I didn't see that 3rd period coming either but I'm pleased with it!

You recall correctly. Canes were 0-17-3 when trailing after 2. They were the only team in the league that hadn’t won when trailing after 2.

That is ridiculous! But better late than never when it comes to changing this disturbing statistic. I had to work late, so I didn't even bother to watch the first two periods, but I'm glad I saw the 3rd, where the team really put it together.

Pretty sure we need to hang on to Ferland.

The remaining games before the trade deadline (Edmonton, Dallas, NYR, @Florida, @Dallas) will force that decision one way or the other. Again, realistically, the Canes need 8 out of those 10 possible points if we want to consider ourselves still in the race. Even after winning 4 out of 5 on that roadie, we gained very little ground on Columbus and Pittsburgh can push the deficit back to 3 points with a win against Edmonton tonight.

If the Canes keep winning 4 out of 5 they will easily make the playoffs. If they get, say, 7 points out of those 5 games before the trade deadline, I can see them keeping Ferland and calling that our 'deadline deal'. Lots of pundits still talking about us dealing a right shot Dman….why in the world would the Canes do that if they are in the playoff race? Last time I checked we play all 4 of those right shot Dmen and have no one else even remotely close to good enough to fill a hole if we trade one of those guys. We can't be trading Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce and putting a lesser guy out there in the middle of trying to make the playoffs. Any trade involving one of our right shot Dmen will need to wait until the offseason, assuming we don't fall apart over these next 5 games.

That was a good win against Ottawa....nice to see us battle back like that, especially with the PP leading the way. That was a sick shot by Justin Williams on the 2nd goal...that was just filthy!

Oh, well, I don't think that is in the cards. While I would love both sides to find a deal that works for both sides (5 years $25 million?) that can be signed now, I think that unless the Canes go all nutty on their offer, Ferland and his agents are determined to head to UFA status. That doesn't shut the door on the Canes signing him of course if he can't find whatever term/money he thinks he is worth elsewhere.

I agree that we really would be better off keeping Ferland around long term. I'm not at all confident we will succeed, and he still might not be here past the trade deadline if we crap out over these next 5 games.

Last edited:
I used to think Boucher was a pretty good coach..., but he's got some serious talent and if he can't get them playing well enough to make some noise them maybe he ain't so good after all!

I didn't see that 3rd period coming either but I'm pleased with it!

Roster balance and mix come deeply into play for this version of Ottawa. Plus, they all pretty much hate each other, Boucher and the organization as a whole. It's a bad team with bad chemistry and a lot of parts that don't fit together. I don't think even half of that is on Boucher, even though he's not really helping much.

Oh, well, I don't think that is in the cards. While I would love both sides to find a deal that works for both sides (5 years $25 million?) that can be signed now, I think that unless the Canes go all nutty on their offer, Ferland and his agents are determined to head to UFA status. That doesn't shut the door on the Canes signing him of course if he can't find whatever term/money he thinks he is worth.

I agree that we really would be better off keeping Ferland around long term. I'm not at all confident we will succeed, and he still might not be here past the trade deadline if we crap out over these next 5 games.

Honestly, at this point the Canes probably need to just keep Ferland for the rest of the season as a self rental and then let the chips fall where they may in Free Agency. Moving him for a pick and/or prospect while you're legitimately in the race for a playoff spot is putting the long term cart before the short term need to do SOMETHING other than fail.

Back