• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

**** Y'all GDT: Leafs @ Avalanche, 9pm Feb12

Do these spreadsheets come with HD and surround sound?

What can I say, I think we played well. Their big boys didn’t really do anything and I think we legitimately were unlucky not to score ten goals on them. We were relentless on the forecheck and backcheck. We drew penalties in a way that we literally haven’t done once all season long. We almost always give up 35+ shots but I don’t recall getting too squeamish on many of their chances other than the Freddy behind his back save.

I must have missed the part where PP's don't count towards evaluating a team's performance.

Heck, we have been winning in spite of it so it's about time we have a game like this.

Do these spreadsheets come with HD and surround sound?

What can I say, I think we played well. Their big boys didn’t really do anything and I think we legitimately were unlucky not to score ten goals on them. We were relentless on the forecheck and backcheck. We drew penalties in a way that we literally haven’t done once all season long. We almost always give up 35+ shots but I don’t recall getting too squeamish on many of their chances other than the Freddy behind his back save.

Freddy was laying down a half dozen times during the game and none of those instances made you uncomfortable?

and yes, my spreadsheets are all 1080p

I must have missed the part where PP's don't count towards evaluating a team's performance.

Heck, we have been winning in spite of it so it's about time we have a game like this.

PP's count, and you take a win however you can get it, but when non playoff teams are caving you as bad as the Avs did last night 5 on 5, that's no bueno. If you need the refs whistle to bail you out of a game like this, you might be disappointed come playoff time when that whistle doesn't come.

Freddy was laying down a half dozen times during the game and none of those instances made you uncomfortable?

and yes, my spreadsheets are all 1080p

Honestly, no. I mean, I’d have to rewatch the game and make a note of why not on their chances, but as I was watching, it didn’t in any way seem like we were ever under siege, except for one short stretch over a couple of shifts. Quite the opposite actually. I felt like we were far more dangerous, maybe partially because we were on the PP a lot, but so be it, that’s part of the game. I remember near the end I saw the shots below the score and was pretty surprised they had 38 at the time. It just didn’t feel like it.

I remember near the end I saw the shots below the score and was pretty surprised they had 38 at the time. It just didn’t feel like it.

Whether it felt like it or not, we gave up a ton of really good shots and had a few huge blocks. Rielly specifically had a block on a play Freddy was down and out on.

20182019-20873-5v5.png

Heat map doesn't lie. That's a big ol blob that the Avs put up right on mainstreet.

Whether it felt like it or not, we gave up a ton of really good shots and had a few huge blocks. Rielly specifically had a block on a play Freddy was down and out on.

20182019-20873-5v5.png

Heat map doesn't lie. That's a big ol blob that the Avs put up right on mainstreet.

I agree. It doesn’t lie. The numbers don’t either. But these things just aren’t complete substitutes for what’s actually happening on the ice. I’m inclined to rewatch the game with a notepad and mark down each shot and shot attempt and rate them myself and see what I come up with. And I don’t know, maybe all the PP time impacted my outlook. All in all, though, with PPs included, all I can say is I think we played a really aggressive, hard fought, up tempo game, and made life really difficult for them, hence all the penalties. And frankly we won the game handily, and I don’t see anyone praising Freddy for stealing one (because he didn’t). So how that all jives with charts that say we got “caved in”, I just don’t know.

Not sure that’ll be the case.

I could foresee a lot of the stats going by the wayside when they increasingly don’t match results. We got caved in despite winning 5-2 and not having our goalie stand on his head. So what happened? The most productive line in hockey just had an off night against us? They’re great at taking dangerous shots but can’t finish? The whole game was pure luck like the one shot that bounced off Rielly and out?

If we got caved in, it should’ve been painstakingly apparent - we should’ve been taking penalties, seeing Freddy make numerous highlight reel saves, and come somewhat close to losing. But there were no such signs, aside from a multi-colored blob.

Once proper tracking is instituted the last bastion of numbers denying -- measurement error -- will die.

But so if we got murdered, why’d we win?

Was Freddy just outstanding? Did they just lack finish? What prevented them from getting six goals and beating us? Because my point is that I don’t recall Freddy standing on his head and I also don’t feel they had too many dangerous chances. But the stats say they did and no one has an explanation for why they couldn’t capitalize.

analytics have driven people so crazy that now they get furious at any suggestion that a team can win when playing poorly or lose while playing well.

I’m not furious about anything. Where did you sense any anger?

I’m legit curious about why we won so handily when the numbers were so ugly. What’s your take?

I’m legit curious about why we won so handily when the numbers were so ugly. What’s your take?

I mean, this happens all the time. It's nothing ground breaking.

The PP went off, and we had 2 brilliant individual efforts at even strength against the run of play.

Meanwhile they were unable to capitalize on many of their best chances.

It happens.

Back