• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Stars 2/16 8:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The 2nd half of a back to back and an unusually late start.

The Canes were badly outplayed by Edmonton on Friday but still came away with a 3-1 win. Nino continued his hot streak with a pair of goals, giving him 8 in 12 games with the Canes. He has 3 multigoal games since the trade. Aho had 2 assists, Williams has 1, McElhinney made 40 games and was the first star. He’s been on a roll, but I’d expect Mrazek tonight. No skate this morning, RBA will have press availability at 5:45.

The Stars are closing a 5 game roadie and have gone 1-2-1, including a 6-0 pasting in Tampa on Thursday. They’re 6-3-1 in their last 10 games and hold the first wild card slot in the Western Conference, with 63 points in 57 games, tied with St. Louis for 3rd in the Central. Tyler Seguin has 24 goals and 54 points, Alexander Radulov has 31 assists. Ben Bishop is on IR, our old friend Anton Khudobin has played the previous 4 on the roadie but was pulled on Thursday after giving up 5 goals on 21 shots. He’s been good this year though, with a 2.50 GAA and .922 Save %. Dallas is 4th in the league in goals against per game at 2.56. Unfortunately, they’re 29th in goals for per game at 2.54. They’re 16th on the PP at 20.3%, tied for 5th on the PK at 82.5%.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV. I think Jason Shaya is pinch hitting for Forslund again tonight.

Need to take it to the Stars and make them see stars... (Like Aho) in their nightmares.

Go for the Gusto and come out with a win.

OK ... same pre-game notes as yesterday, but this time actually go do those things. Or, score early and pray for rain like you did last night. Whatever.

And why the heck is this an 8:00 start? The Canes keep acting like it's some sort of special treat or something. All it means is I get home an hour later than normal, which isn't some sort of gift or anything.

Stars expected lineup tonight in Carolina:
Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Cogliano-Dickinson-Spezza
Janmark-Faksa-Ritchie
Hintz-L’Esperance-Nichushkin

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Polak
Oleksiak-Fedun

Khudobin

L’Esperance just got called up yesterday and will make his NHL debut tonight.. Y'all forgive me if I cheer him when he inevitably scores, he played for my Huskies the last 4 years.

The Calgary/Pittsburgh game will already be over by the time this one starts, so the Canes will know by then whether they still have that minuscule chance to temporarily hop into 3rd in the division or not.

Teams to root for today besides our own: Calgary (up 1-0 in the first), Chicago, Detroit, and Tampa.

Of course primary responsibility falls upon Mrazek and the Canes doing their jobs.

Derrick Ryan comes through with 3 assists and Peters’ Flames nudge the door open for us again. Get it right this time guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wallmark on the breakaway.. it's almost like Staal what surprises me is the goal not the save. Aho Feeds Williams!

2-0 after 2 and for the second straight night we look worse then our opponent...
Anti -Canes hockey in effect.

2-0 after 2 and for the second straight night we look worse then our opponent...
Anti -Canes hockey in effect.

Canes are playing the old Paul Maurice third period special tonight! Clinging to that lead but getting outworked to every loose puck and looking gassed overall on the back to backer. Props to Mrazek for holding firm.

Back