Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Growing Divide between Dubas and Babcock

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Growing Divide between Dubas and Babcock

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
    okay, so you think Dubas is cool with it.

I can't see how he could be.
    Again, literally did not say that.

I can't see how comments in the media would be a firable offense though.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all going to depend on the playoffs, if it's a first round exit then I think Babs is gone. Shanahan has shown he doesn't care about the old boys club otherwise he would have kept Lou and let Dubas go. If Dubas comes to him after a first round exit and shows Shanahan the reasons for it, and how Babcock isn't using the team properly then I don't see why they wouldn't fire him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leafman101 View Post

All I said, was I don't see Dubas as someone who would be afraid to fire Babs if he wanted to fire Babs.
    I don't think that decisions is necessarily Dubas' to make. That's a lot of dead money to leave out there, even for the Leafs. There aren't too many GM's out there, nevermind rookie GM's who are empowered to make that type of financial decision unilaterally.
    "I measure twice and cut once. I just dropped the mic"

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

I guess Sheldon will be head coach next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've never been clever because needed it never!

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    I don't think that decisions is necessarily Dubas' to make. That's a lot of dead money to leave out there, even for the Leafs. There aren't too many GM's out there, nevermind rookie GM's who are empowered to make that type of financial decision unilaterally.
    Shanahan would really need to be convinced that Babcock's way is terrible, and Babcock is going to always be able to claim Dubas never got him enough of his guys and he had to make do.

Never hurts to throw a Bracco at a Kruger/Kunitz combo.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CRL View Post
    I guess Sheldon will be head coach next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really tough for a guy with literally no NHL coahing expereince to take a job in Toronto.

If they fire babcock, just pay Cooper.

MLSE can afford it.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Maybe on most teams. But not the Leafs. Money no where near my list of concerns of roadblocks to Dubas doing what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. Besides it's not even that much money. Babs has 4 years left after this one at just over $6 mill a year. Its less than they shelled out for Horton just to get cap space.

And like Matrim said, Shanny fired Lou. Babs rep is meaningless too. He would not be the most decorated hockey legend they've canned.

If Dubas wants him gone, he's gone.
    Last edited by leafman101; 02-20-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

**** its hard to believe Babs has already been here for half his contract. I guess the criticism should be expected at this point. 4 years is a typical lifespan of a coach. Babs is already top 10 in games coached for the Leafs, and will be 5th at the end of the year. Quinn is the only guy who coached more games in most of our lifetimes.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to let things play out this season. Another 1st round exit and it'll be #firebabcock season for sure. I don't see us having the assets to acquire another top pairing dman. Hainsey is gone after the season. Zaitsev is a turd that I don't know if we'll be able to move.

Fast forward a bit and hopefully we see Sandin - Liljegren take 2 spots on the defense. Hopefully we don't have any other gudpros that Babcock can overplay by then.

Post Thanks / Like

Mirtle made a tweet earlier today soliciting topics for his upcoming podcast. lol, a thousand variations on wtf Babcock and can he be fired.
    #freesheldon

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe on most teams. But not the Leafs. Money no where near my list of concerns of roadblocks to Dubas doing what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. Besides it's not even that much money. Babs has 4 years left after this one at just over $6 mill a year. Its less than they shelled out for Horton just to get cap space.

And like Matrim said, Shanny fired Lou. Babs rep is meaningless too. He would not be the most decorated hockey legend they've canned.

If Dubas wants him gone, he's gone.
    There's a big difference between "can do it", and "is willing to spend the real and political capital necessary to do it". If you're Dubas, unless Shanny is completely on board with the move, are you willing to throw your dick on the table like this already? If Keefe comes in and some shit goes down (injuries, etc) and the team continues to under achieve, you could easily find yourself as the next one out the door.

So yeah, if Dubas really wanted him gone he would be gone, I don't doubt that. But I'd be surprised if that move wouldn't require a big ass pile of political capital to get done, you better be ****ing right if you pull that trigger.
    "I measure twice and cut once. I just dropped the mic"

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Babcock is not your run of the mill coach. Otherwise he'd be a goner...like when the Pens replaced Therrien with Blysma. Or when Lou replaced Julien with himself.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Growing Divide between Dubas and Babcock

If he pulls this stuff in the playoffs and bows out in the first round heís done

MLSE are not wasting millions in potential playoff revenue on a guy who refuses to play his optimal lineup because he is behind the times

His contract is front loaded so money owing may not be that big of an issue

Post Thanks / Like

thing is a rookie GM can tank his reputation by firing a coach like babcock in his first year.
    #FireBabcock

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be possible that Babcock figures Matthews will get more ice-time when he puts in an effort equal to that of the guys he obviously favours.

Right or wrong, he could very well still be teaching...even though the ice time in general is fairly even once you remove pk and pp...it's not like Tavares is raking in the minutes...nobody is.

I don't mind the toi stuff as much as some of you here lol. I don't like the way he can be manipulated in regards to his need to line-matching though, but he needs to fail in the playoffs before I start freaking out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that there's been growing criticism of Babcock of late will help Dubas out.

Babcock deserves criticism if the Leafs fail to get the 2nd seed, let alone how they do in the playoffs. Team is way too loaded, there's really no excuses for that. It would take a huge Andersen flop in the playoffs for him not to deserve a huge dose of the blame if they lose in the first round again.

If they do something like get the third seed -> win first round -> destroyed in the second, Dubas would probably have to give him one more season, but he absolutely should have him in the hot seat.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    thing is a rookie GM can tank his reputation by firing a coach like babcock in his first year.
    Sure but a rookie GM will definitely tank his reputation by not winning. So if he actually believed the coach is hurting he team and he canít win with him....

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure but a rookie GM will definitely tank his reputation by not winning.
    No...much like an expansion team, or any other rookie, they have time.
    ...not a lot, but with youth comes forgiveness.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys assume firing is on the table when he’s got them playing like a top 5 team.

Before any firing, Shanny and Dubas will speak to him and tell them what they expect regarding deployment. And Babs will submit. He’s not going anywhere.

And why does anyone expect that the next coach will be perfect? He’ll have his own pets, his own quirks, his own guys in the doghouse, his own failings dealing with the media. And we’ll frustrate ourselves to death cursing him out. Just stay the course, work together, and win. That’s what’s going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Dubas has to do his best to take some of Babcock's toys away. Rid the team of Hainsey, Brown, Zaitsev and replace them with players that fit the mold of what Dubas is trying to do. Substitute those 2 defenseman with guys that can move the puck.

Just don't give him the options to play his gudpros. I don't mind Hyman but him playing more or equal 5v5 mins to Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Johnsson, Kappy just makes no sense.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast