• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Panthers 2/21 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes head out in a short roadie with their mentors in tow.

Hopefully, Tuesday’s loss to the Rangers was a temporary speed bump. It was the best game they had played in a few and were done in by a turn the clock back performance by Lundqvist. I don’t know if they’re skating this morning; if not, we’ll have to wait and see if Staal is back in. He practiced between Ferland and Turbo again yesterday. With Columbus off tonight, a win moves the Canes back into the wildcard spot. In other scoreboard watching, the Pens host the Sharks, the Habs host the Flyers

The Panthers are on a 3 game winning streak and near the end of a 7 game home stand. The streak has gotten them above NHL .500 with 60 points in 58 games. Mike Hoffman leads a quartet of 20 goal scorers with 26. Barkov, Dadonov and Vatrano also have at least 20. Canes killer Jonathan Huberdeau leads with 41 assists. But Hoffman, Huberdeau and dman Mike Matheson are also all -20 or worse. The Panthers have the 4th worst team defense in the league, allowing 3.36 goals per game. James Reiner has played the last 3 games and allowed 7 goals on 108 shots for a .935 save %. He’s at 3.01/.903 for the season in 33 games. The Panthers are 3rd in the PP at 25.4% and 10th on the PK at 81.7%

Fox Sports Southeast for TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barkov has been all over the league highlights packages lately and the Panthers did that weird thing that happens in the NHL (and sometimes MLB) when a team's front office gives up the ghost on a season only to see the team relax and start playing well. Not unlike Carolina's last opponent, the Panthers are dead in the playoff water, but they're decent. They sit above NHL .500 and are certainly capable enough on their night with 4 guys having already notched 20 or more goals on the season. The Panthers are also like the Rangers in that it's their D and goaltending that has let them down this season.

For Carolina's sake let's hope that neither Bernier nor Luongo turn into something better than their season's results. Otherwise, the same old formula applies for Carolina. Get the pace up, force their D to play the puck deep, get on the forecheck hard ... and the rest will sort itself out.

No morning skate so we’ll have to wait for RBAs presser later this afternoon to see if Staal is in and who’s in goal.

No morning skate so we’ll have to wait for RBAs presser later this afternoon to see if Staal is in and who’s in goal.

It would almost shock me if Mrazek isn't starting tonight. Mack looked like he got that knee jinked up again on Tuesday.

Regardless of who is in net, the Canes need to get their offense going. We need this win.

Canes get the first goal, off Williams’s right cheek. The cheek above his neck, not below his waist. He went right to the room.

I know someone was saying that our wingers need to win more face-offs, but I don't think that's what they meant...

Nino makes it 2-0.

Last edited:
Barkov makes it 2-2 onthe power play. He was all by himself at he side of the crease and redirected it off the shaft of his stick.

Canes killer Huberdeau by himself cruising down the slot 3-2.

RBA called his TO and LIT into them. Poor Jeff Daniels probably got singed with the steam coming out of his ears.

Brind'Amour better not waste his time out here.

Canes get a 5 on 3... I want to decline the penalties...

Last edited:
While I hate it, I've come to accept Faulk on the 1st unit PP. But him being on the ice on a 5 on 3, rather than Hamilton is complete mismanagement of assets.

While I hate it, I've come to accept Faulk on the 1st unit PP. But him being on the ice on a 5 on 3, rather than Hamilton is complete mismanagement of assets.

Miracle of miracles, Faulk scores on the PP to tie it.

Back