Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 163

Thread: The Retool: Stage 2

  1. #1
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Retool: Stage 2

    Since we all know the Habs aren't rebuilding and are simply retooling, this would be a good place to discuss the changes needed.

    Bergevin started the retool last summer. We all know you simply cannot do it all in a year, regardless of luck. The Habs have helped their center position greatly and hopefully KK becomes that #1 center they sorely need. If there is a center available reasonably this summer MB should take a look. My concern is that he want's Duchene. He just turned 28 and is still likely good for a PPG however I don't think he should get top dollar.

    Players to retain (some because they are still under contract):

    (Age in parenthesis)

    Forwards:

    Kotkaniemi (18)
    Domi (24)
    Byron (29)
    Tatar (28)
    Gallagher (26) - (although he'd bring a ransom)
    Armia (25) (RFA)
    Lehkonen (23) (RFA)
    Shaw (27)
    Danault (26)

    This gives us:

    Gallagher-Danault-Tatar
    Shaw-Domi-XXX
    XXX-Kotkaniemi-Byron
    Lehkonen-XXX-Armia


    Forwards to release or trade:

    Drouin (24) - He needs to be moved for help on the blue line. Yes I see the irony but Sergachev hasn't panned out yet either. I'm tired of seeing Drouin dog it and I can't help but thinking the team sees it too.
    Weal (26) - UFA - bye
    Thompson (34) UFA - bye
    Weise (30) - 1 year left $2.3M - bury him in Laval and take the $950K credit.
    Peca (25) - 1 yr left at $1.3M - same as Weise - Laval
    Deslauriers (28) - 1 yr left at $950K - Laval
    Hudon (24) - RFA - Bye


    The Habs have a projected Cap SPace availability of $16.1M next season. If they manage to trade Drouin the space is $21.6M. There is room to add.

    The 9 forwards I listed above for retention are likely to stay. Armia and Lehkonen would make up an awesome fourth line. Scorers need to be inserted into the top 9 positions they held this season.


    Defense:

    Retained:

    Weber (33)
    Petry (31)
    Mete (20) - ELC

    Questionable:

    Kulak (25) - RFA
    Reilly (25) - RFA
    Folin - (28) - UFA

    I can go either way on these guys however I do not think they should be main cogs on D. The left side is atrocious.

    Release:

    Benn (31) - UFA - BYE!


    The D really needs to be fixed. I'd say it's the most important aspect of the team requiring change and the PP should be kept in mind when doing so as well.

    XXX-Weber
    XXX-Petry
    Mete-XXX

    Is where this D should be with improvements to the XXX obviously.

    Goaltending:

    Price (31)

    Buh bye:

    Niemi (35) - UFA

    Still on cap:

    Alzner (30) - 3 years @ $3.5M per
    Mason (30) - 1 more year @ $1.36M

    Pacioretty retained salary comes off this season.



    All that out of the way, suggestions for logical changes?
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  2. #2
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Notable names available (slim pickings on D):

    Bolded players are guys I'd be interested in acquiring.

    FORWARDS

    Artemi Panarin, LW, CBJ
    NHL.com rank: 18

    Jeff Skinner, C/LW, BUF
    NHL.com rank: 37

    Joe Pavelski, C/RW, SJS
    NHL.com rank: 39

    Matt Duchene, C, CBJ
    NHL.com rank: 58

    Anders Lee, LW, NYI
    NHL.com rank: 111

    Joe Thornton, C, SJS
    NHL.com rank: 127

    Gustav Nyquist, LW/RW, SJS
    NHL.com rank: 129

    Wayne Simmonds, RW, NSH
    NHL.com rank: 135

    Justin Williams, RW, CAR
    NHL.com rank: 141

    Kevin Hayes, C, WPG
    NHL.com rank: 168

    Brock Nelson, C/LW, NYI
    NHL.com rank: 185

    Mats Zuccarello, RW, DAL
    NHL.com rank: N/A (INJ.)

    Marcus Johansson, LW, BOS
    NHL.com rank: N/A (INJ.)

    Micheal Ferland, LW/RW, CAR
    NHL.com rank: N/A (INJ.)

    Ryan Dzingel, LW/RW, CBJ
    NHL.com rank: N/A

    Jordan Eberle, C/RW, NYI
    NHL.com rank: N/A

    Derick Brassard, C/LW, COL
    NHL.com rank: N/A



    DEFENSEMEN

    Erik Karlsson, SJS
    NHL.com rank: N/A (INJ.)

    Alexander Edler, VAN
    NHL.com rank: 190

    Jake Gardiner, TOR
    NHL.com rank: N/A (INJ.)



    GOALIES

    Sergei Bobrovsky, CBJ
    NHL.com rank: 78

    Robin Lehner, NYI
    NHL.com rank: 106

    Semyon Varlamov, COL
    NHL.com rank: 122

    Curtis McElhinney, CAR
    NHL.com rank: 137

    Petr Mrazek, CAR
    NHL.com rank: 151

    Brian Elliott, PHI
    NHL.com rank: 161

    Mike Smith, CGY
    NHL.com rank: 174

    Cam Talbot, PHI
    NHL.com rank: N/A
    Last edited by Habsy; 03-29-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  3. #3
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    I wouldn't mind taking a run at Karlsson. He's only 28 and can still put up the points. Sure he's RD but image a right side of Weber, Karlsson and Petry? They would give teams fits.
    Last edited by Habsy; 03-29-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  4. #4
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    More D

    Code:
    Erik Karlsson	SJS	UFA	29	D	R	52	3	42	45				$6,500,000
    Tyler Myers	WPG	UFA	29	D	R	75	9	20	29				$5,500,000
    Jay Bouwmeester	STL	UFA	36	D	L	72	3	13	16				$5,400,000
    Alexander Edler	VAN	UFA	33	D	L	52	10	21	31				$5,000,000
    Marc Methot	DAL	UFA	34	D	L	9							$4,900,000
    Niklas Kronwall	DET	UFA	38	D	L	74	3	21	24				$4,750,000
    Anton Stralman	TBL	UFA	33	D	R	45	2	15	17				$4,500,000
    Jake Gardiner	TOR	UFA	29	D	L	60	2	27	29				$4,050,000
    Braydon Coburn	TBL	UFA	34	D	L	69	3	16	19				$3,700,000
    Michael Del Zotto	STL	UFA	29	D	L	42	1	9	10				$3,000,000
    Ron Hainsey	TOR	UFA	38	D	L	77	5	17	22				$3,000,000
    Carl Gunnarsson	STL	UFA	32	D	L	19	3	4	7				$2,900,000
    Adam McQuaid	CBJ	UFA	32	D	R	50	3	4	7				$2,750,000
    Ben Lovejoy	DAL	UFA	35	D	R	68	2	7	9				$2,666,667
    Patrik Nemeth	COL	UFA	27	D	L	69	1	8	9				$2,500,000
    Jan Rutta	TBL	UFA	29	D	R	32	2	6	8				$2,300,000
    Brooks Orpik	WAS	UFA	39	D	L	49	2	7	9				$2,500,000
    Alex Petrovic	EDM	UFA	27	D	R	35		2	2				$1,950,000
    Dennis Seidenberg	NYI	UFA	38	D	L	0							$1,166,666
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  5. #5
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Centers:

    Code:
    
    Jason Spezza	DAL	UFA	36	C	R	72	8	19	27				$7,500,000
    Matt Duchene	CBJ	UFA	28	C	L	68	30	37	67				$6,000,000
    Joe Pavelski	SJS	UFA	35	C	R	72	37	26	63				$6,000,000
    Dave Bolland	AZ	UFA	33	C	R								$5,500,000
    Kevin Hayes	WPG	UFA	27	C	L	66	18	35	53				$5,175,000
    Joe Thornton	SJS	UFA	40	C	L	68	16	31	47				$5,000,000
    Derick Brassard	COL	UFA	32	C	L	65	13	9	22				$5,000,000
    Jori Lehtera	PHI	UFA	31	C	L	27	1	2	3				$4,700,000
    Marcus JohanssonBOSUFA	28	C	L	53	12	16	28				$4,583,334
    Brock Nelson	NYI	UFA	27	C	L	78	24	26	50				$4,250,000
    Colin Wilson	COL	UFA	29	C	L	60	11	13	24				$3,937,500
    Anders Lee	NYI	UFA	29	C	L	78	28	21	49				$3,750,000
    Marcus Kruger	CHI	UFA	29	C	L	70	4	7	11				$3,083,333
    Valtteri Filppula	NYI	UFA	35	C	L	71	15	14	29				$2,750,000
    Brian Boyle	NSH	UFA	34	C	L	68	18	6	24				$2,750,000
    Ryan Dzingel	CBJ	UFA	27	C	L	73	25	28	53				$1,800,000
    Par Lindholm	WPG	UFA	27	C	R	63	1	11	12				$925,000
    Jordan Weal	MTL	UFA	27	C	R	59	6	11	17				$1,750,000
    Last edited by Habsy; 03-29-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Honestly guys, as nice as it was to watch meaningful regular season games this year -- us drafting 15th overall is a blip on the retool process. Most (including Berg) likely expected a better draft to help with this situation.

    Maybe they will win the lottery....

  7. #7
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Well you can't take your puck and go home. This is where they find themselves and more work is sorely needed.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    I hear ya.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Since we all know the Habs aren't rebuilding and are simply retooling, this would be a good place to discuss the changes needed.

    Bergevin started the retool last summer. We all know you simply cannot do it all in a year, regardless of luck. The Habs have helped their center position greatly and hopefully KK becomes that #1 center they sorely need. If there is a center available reasonably this summer MB should take a look. My concern is that he want's Duchene. He just turned 28 and is still likely good for a PPG however I don't think he should get top dollar.

    Players to retain (some because they are still under contract):

    (Age in parenthesis)

    Forwards:

    Kotkaniemi (18)
    Domi (24)
    Byron (29)
    Tatar (28)
    Gallagher (26) - (although he'd bring a ransom)
    Armia (25) (RFA)
    Lehkonen (23) (RFA)
    Shaw (27)
    Danault (26)

    This gives us:

    Gallagher-Danault-Tatar
    Shaw-Domi-XXX
    XXX-Kotkaniemi-Byron
    Lehkonen-XXX-Armia


    Forwards to release or trade:

    Drouin (24) - He needs to be moved for help on the blue line. Yes I see the irony but Sergachev hasn't panned out yet either. I'm tired of seeing Drouin dog it and I can't help but thinking the team sees it too.
    Weal (26) - UFA - bye
    Thompson (34) UFA - bye
    Weise (30) - 1 year left $2.3M - bury him in Laval and take the $950K credit.
    Peca (25) - 1 yr left at $1.3M - same as Weise - Laval
    Deslauriers (28) - 1 yr left at $950K - Laval
    Hudon (24) - RFA - Bye


    The Habs have a projected Cap SPace availability of $16.1M next season. If they manage to trade Drouin the space is $21.6M. There is room to add.

    The 9 forwards I listed above for retention are likely to stay. Armia and Lehkonen would make up an awesome fourth line. Scorers need to be inserted into the top 9 positions they held this season.


    Defense:

    Retained:

    Weber (33)
    Petry (31)
    Mete (20) - ELC

    Questionable:

    Kulak (25) - RFA
    Reilly (25) - RFA
    Folin - (28) - UFA

    I can go either way on these guys however I do not think they should be main cogs on D. The left side is atrocious.

    Release:

    Benn (31) - UFA - BYE!


    The D really needs to be fixed. I'd say it's the most important aspect of the team requiring change and the PP should be kept in mind when doing so as well.

    XXX-Weber
    XXX-Petry
    Mete-XXX

    Is where this D should be with improvements to the XXX obviously.

    Goaltending:

    Price (31)

    Buh bye:

    Niemi (35) - UFA

    Still on cap:

    Alzner (30) - 3 years @ $3.5M per
    Mason (30) - 1 more year @ $1.36M

    Pacioretty retained salary comes off this season.



    All that out of the way, suggestions for logical changes?
    The only player I would go after is Dzingel if I can get a decent deal for Tatar who bolts in 2 years .

    I would see what Petry can fetch in the offseason

    The other heavyweights arent coming and most make no sense like EK or AP on a team stuck in the middle .

    Your bringing back most of the forwards who had career years , can they do it again .

    None of our top prospects will start by on day 1 but NS should join us by Christmas .

    My focus would be capitalizing on assets that may not be with us in 2 years .

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    The only player I would go after is Dzingel if I can get a decent deal for Tatar who bolts in 2 years .

    I would see what Petry can fetch in the offseason

    The other heavyweights arent coming and most make no sense like EK or AP on a team stuck in the middle .

    Your bringing back most of the forwards who had career years , can they do it again .

    None of our top prospects will start by on day 1 but NS should join us by Christmas .

    My focus would be capitalizing on assets that may not be with us in 2 years .
    *You are*

  11. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    *You are*
    Your are a dick

  12. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    Your are a dick
    That's the worst one so far.

    "You're a dick* or "You are a dick*.

  13. #13
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    You know, I spent some time on this thread. I’d appreciate you not ****ing it up with nonsense.

    Thanks.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  14. #14
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    66,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking a run at Karlsson. He's only 28 and can still put up the points. Sure he's RD but image a right side of Weber, Karlsson and Petry? They would give teams fits.
    If we got Hot Karl I would look to trade Weber or Petry.
    ...

  15. #15
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    66,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    I would still be more on the rebuild side of the retool.

    I would look to trade Tatar for sure. Trade Shaw. Explore trading Petry.

    I would keep Drouin. Unless for some reason somebody gives good value.

    I would sign Weal (assuming he is cheap).


    I would re-sign Benn (are you paying attention?)

    Keep only one of Kulak/Reilly
    ...

  16. #16
    Legend Habs4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    43,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    CURRENT TEAM
    Drouin won't get dealt. Realistically you should include his cap hit. I also see the Habs trying to keep Weal.

    Alzner, Weise and Deslauriers get their full salary in the AHL, not sure the cap hit is any less as a result? Either way, MB needs to bust his balls trying to unload all of them.

    Romanov may be coming, Brook a possibility, Juulsen is also supposed to be back, those are 3 D that MAY crack the lineup. Then you also have Markov who wants to return and you have to assume that MTL is his preference.

    Up front Suzuki will be into his 2nd Habs camp, he has an outside shot to make the team but I think likely AHL. Ryan Poehling will be in a similar position but is a year older. 2 intriguing forwards next year.Then you have Jacob Olofsson , Ylonen and Evans as well.

    D FREE AGENTS

    As for free agency, I go big or go home. With the players listed above expected to be in the lineup within 2 years, I wouldn't waste my time with any mid level place holders. The issue with free ageny when addressing the D is that we need LHD and there are no decent LHD UFA's. You COULD offer sheet (Provorov, Butcher, Werenski, Murray) The issue is that PHI, NJ, and CBJ have about $30m in projected cap space, so that seems unlikely.

    FORWARD FREE AGENTS

    With forwards, I definitely prepare an offer sheet. RFA TARGETS:
    Toronto is primed to lose talent with Kapanen/Marner/Johnsson all RFA
    Brayden Point in TB should be a target as well.

    I would say the following but their teams have the space to retain for sure: Rantanen, Tkachuk, Aho, Connor.

    UFA TARGETS
    The only UFA forwards I would chase is Duchene. And I would go hard if the offer sheet route doesn't work out or if MB doesn't have the constitution for it.
    Last edited by Habs4Life; 03-29-2019 at 04:55 PM.

  17. #17
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    56,368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    If MB were to go offer sheet route, have to....absolutely have to offer sheet Rantanen he’s top of the list: elite, fast & big.


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  18. #18
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    66,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
    CURRENT TEAM
    Drouin won't get dealt. Realistically you should include his cap hit. I also see the Habs trying to keep Weal.

    Alzner, Weise and Deslauriers get their full salary in the AHL, not sure the cap hit is any less as a result? Either way, MB needs to bust his balls trying to unload all of them.

    Romanov may be coming, Brook a possibility, Juulsen is also supposed to be back, those are 3 D that MAY crack the lineup. Then you also have Markov who wants to return and you have to assume that MTL is his preference.

    Up front Suzuki will be into his 2nd Habs camp, he has an outside shot to make the team but I think likely AHL. Ryan Poehling will be in a similar position but is a year older. 2 intriguing forwards next year.Then you have Jacob Olofsson , Ylonen and Evans as well.

    D FREE AGENTS

    As for free agency, I go big or go home. With the players listed above expected to be in the lineup within 2 years, I wouldn't waste my time with any mid level place holders. The issue with free ageny when addressing the D is that we need LHD and there are no decent LHD UFA's. You COULD offer sheet (Provorov, Butcher, Werenski, Murray) The issue is that PHI, NJ, and CBJ have about $30m in projected cap space, so that seems unlikely.

    FORWARD FREE AGENTS

    With forwards, I definitely prepare an offer sheet. RFA TARGETS:
    Toronto is primed to lose talent with Kapanen/Marner/Johnsson all RFA
    Brayden Point in TB should be a target as well.

    I would say the following but their teams have the space to retain for sure: Rantanen, Tkachuk, Aho, Connor.

    UFA TARGETS
    The only UFA forwards I would chase is Duchene. And I would go hard if the offer sheet route doesn't work out or if MB doesn't have the constitution for it.
    I just cannot see an offer sheet happening.

    Duchene would be a massive gamble. If we are paying him as a 60 point centre. okay. if we are paying him as a PPG centre...no thanks.

    As for sending players to the AHL - you get 900k off the cap (but then you also have to replace them for probably a similar amount anyway.
    ...

  19. #19
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    66,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    If MB were to go offer sheet route, have to....absolutely have to offer sheet Rantanen he’s top of the list: elite, fast & big.
    while it is nice to dream we know it wont happen

    i would entertain trading 4 first rounders though
    ...

  20. #20
    Legend Habs4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    43,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Retool: Stage 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    If MB were to go offer sheet route, have to....absolutely have to offer sheet Rantanen he’s top of the list: elite, fast & big.
    They have 30 million in cap space and a player from OTT that can likely play in the NHL right away at an entry level contract. They would just match.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •