• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Retool: Stage 2

Rantanen (age 18): 9GP 0G 0A 0PT
Rantanen (age 19): 75GP 20G 18A 38PT

KK (age 18): 76GP 11G 23A 34PT

just sayin :p

We ain't getting any of the top UFA's.....like EK for example.

Sure we can get Duchene if we outbid other teams, but we ain't getting EK even if we outbid other teams

If we got Hot Karl I would look to trade Weber or Petry.

Why?

Hot Karl is injury prone, as is Weber. When all three are healthy they would be the best right side in the league. Then MB would need to get them solid partners.

I would still be more on the rebuild side of the retool.

I would look to trade Tatar for sure. Trade Shaw. Explore trading Petry.

I would keep Drouin. Unless for some reason somebody gives good value.

I would sign Weal (assuming he is cheap).

I would re-sign Benn (are you paying attention?)

Keep only one of Kulak/Reilly

You’re on drugs.

Why?

Hot Karl is injury prone, as is Weber. When all three are healthy they would be the best right side in the league. Then MB would need to get them solid partners.

Injuries sure but when healthy that is a pretty penny to spend on a third pairing guy.

Honestly guys, as nice as it was to watch meaningful regular season games this year -- us drafting 15th overall is a blip on the retool process. Most (including Berg) likely expected a better draft to help with this situation.

Maybe they will win the lottery....

We don’t need to win but if we miss the playoffs it would be nice to jump up a few spots and get somewhere around 10

Rantanen (age 18): 9GP 0G 0A 0PT
Rantanen (age 19): 75GP 20G 18A 38PT

KK (age 18): 76GP 11G 23A 34PT

just sayin :p

One fact that is neglected is that KK is doing this as a full time center, That is a big responsibility on a Claude Julien coached team on top of it.

A postion that at the age of 23 Drouin or Galchenyuk couldn’t even master

CURRENT TEAM
Drouin won't get dealt. Realistically you should include his cap hit. I also see the Habs trying to keep Weal.

Alzner, Weise and Deslauriers get their full salary in the AHL, not sure the cap hit is any less as a result? Either way, MB needs to bust his balls trying to unload all of them.

Romanov may be coming, Brook a possibility, Juulsen is also supposed to be back, those are 3 D that MAY crack the lineup. Then you also have Markov who wants to return and you have to assume that MTL is his preference.

Up front Suzuki will be into his 2nd Habs camp, he has an outside shot to make the team but I think likely AHL. Ryan Poehling will be in a similar position but is a year older. 2 intriguing forwards next year.Then you have Jacob Olofsson , Ylonen and Evans as well.

D FREE AGENTS

As for free agency, I go big or go home. With the players listed above expected to be in the lineup within 2 years, I wouldn't waste my time with any mid level place holders. The issue with free ageny when addressing the D is that we need LHD and there are no decent LHD UFA's. You COULD offer sheet (Provorov, Butcher, Werenski, Murray) The issue is that PHI, NJ, and CBJ have about $30m in projected cap space, so that seems unlikely.

FORWARD FREE AGENTS

With forwards, I definitely prepare an offer sheet. RFA TARGETS:
Toronto is primed to lose talent with Kapanen/Marner/Johnsson all RFA
Brayden Point in TB should be a target as well.

I would say the following but their teams have the space to retain for sure: Rantanen, Tkachuk, Aho, Connor.

UFA TARGETS
The only UFA forwards I would chase is Duchene. And I would go hard if the offer sheet route doesn't work out or if MB doesn't have the constitution for it.

Offer sheeting a big fish and give up 4 firsts is suicide with this roster .

Your giving up prime capital as Price , Weber , and Petry age .

Point or anyone else isnt enough to move the needle.

You need a more stable elite core like Calgary to make this work .

I would not go after Duchene as UFA, now Anders Lee is another story..

Kevin Hayes would be interesting as well, depending on term

Want to stay mediocre for a longer period of time? Spend a lot of money & term on UFAs. I always say this, but outside of HHOF talents, most forwards see their production top out in their early to mid-20s and they start to tale off when they hit their thirties. Hint hint, that's when most of them become UFAs.

There's not a single UFA forward I would give a hefty contract to. Of the whole lot, only Panarin is intriguing, but I doubt he'd come here and by the time we'd be (theoretically) competitive, he'll be past his prime and declining.

This is the summer to trade Petry. He's on a reasonable contract, just had a career year, just turned 31 and you could argue that he's in the prime of his career right now. He has two more years after this season and I really think you could get a first round pick for him. Purely theoretical, Petry + minor leaguer (to even the contracts out) for Marleau + TOR 2020 1st + Calle Rosen (or another B- ish prospect of theirs)?

I know it won't happen, but I'm still of the opinion that we should absorb some terrible contracts to get prospects and/or picks.

Call LA, ask them about Ilya Kovalchuk. See if we can get some picks to absorb the contract. See if we can get something from Edmonton to absorb Kris Russell or Andrej Sekera's contracts (Or be extra greedy and ask for Lucic + Puljujarvi).

Last edited:
When did you start working for the Leafs? I’m fine with trading Petry but that deal with the Leafs is so bad. Basically trading him for a B prospect. The late 1st rounder is simply the cost taking useless Marleau.

Want to stay mediocre for a longer period of time? Spend a lot of money & term on UFAs. I always say this, but outside of HHOF talents, most forwards see their production top out in their early to mid-20s and they start to tale off when they hit their thirties. Hint hint, that's when most of them become UFAs.

There's not a single UFA forward I would give a hefty contract to. Of the whole lot, only Panarin is intriguing, but I doubt he'd come here and by the time we'd be (theoretically) competitive, he'll be past his prime and declining.

This is the summer to trade Petry. He's on a reasonable contract, just had a career year, just turned 31 and you could argue that he's in the prime of his career right now. He has two more years after this season and I really think you could get a first round pick for him. Purely theoretical, Petry + minor leaguer (to even the contracts out) for Marleau + TOR 2020 1st + Calle Rosen (or another B- ish prospect of theirs)?

I know it won't happen, but I'm still of the opinion that we should absorb some terrible contracts to get prospects and/or picks.

Call LA, ask them about Ilya Kovalchuk. See if we can get some picks to absorb the contract. See if we can get something from Edmonton to absorb Kris Russell or Andrej Sekera's contracts (Or be extra greedy and ask for Lucic + Puljujarvi).

Petry is perfect for Winnipeg as they part ways with Myers and Trouba.

No, the late 1st doesn't get us to take Marleau off of our hands. His contract isn't all that bad because there's only one season remaining; Marleau has a $6M caphit with only $4.25M in salary. That's potentially attractive to teams on a budget, assuming Marleau agrees to wave his NMC. There's no doubt in my mind that he's getting traded this summer if he agrees to it, if not then the shitshow in TO continues as they'll have to trade Nylander to make room and find a defenseman.

I could easily see him going to Vancouver or Carolina, for example.

Terrible contracts like Lucic, Zaitsev, etc would require a treasure trove of riches to move because they're not NHL caliber players getting paid like they're top tier for a bunch of upcoming years. Marleau won't be difficult to move, again, assuming he agrees to waive his NMC.

Petry is perfect for Winnipeg as they part ways with Myers and Trouba.

Trouba's an RFA, he's not going anywhere unless they trade him. And if they do trade him, they're getting a lot in return. If Toronto had more capspace, he'd the exact type of player they'd want.

I don't see the Jets. They have to re-sign Trouba (I'm assuming that's $7M+ / year) and Kyle Connor, who will get $6M+. There's Laine that needs a new deal too, but who knows what's going to happen with him.

Trouba's an RFA, he's not going anywhere unless they trade him. And if they do trade him, they're getting a lot in return. If Toronto had more capspace, he'd the exact type of player they'd want.

I don't see the Jets. They have to re-sign Trouba (I'm assuming that's $7M+ / year) and Kyle Connor, who will get $6M+. There's Laine that needs a new deal too, but who knows what's going to happen with him.

Jets need to shed money and players like Perrault and Kulikov are the type of short term deals I would take on

I don’t think Myers or Trouba will be back .

I wouldn’t be surprised if Laine gets moved as well .

Back