• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

Not really , just waiting for the Habs after 7 years under this regime to maybe turn a corner and compete for something .
I’ve been hearing for years how brilliant Hextall, Nill, Poile, Stevie Y etc are, while operating in much easier / geographically desirable markets yet their combined achievements are nothing to write home about.

Transplant this Habs team to a desirable market and I suspect even MB can achieve as much if not more success than the above. NHL / GMs success nowadays is highly correlated to operating in a player friendly market.

Ironically Habs have one of those win/win transactions - Petry was a great deadline acquisition & re-upping of prime years at $5.5M.

This is exactly the point I am making about going after and signing the right UFAs.

Petry was locked up long term at the age of 28 and his game was definitely suited for the speed game of the NHL.

He’s having his best years at the moment.

For sure. I'm not even necessarily comparing the two. Just pointing out that evaluating Skinner as a 40 goal player is very generous of you.

Except he scored 40 goals. Hence he's a 40 goal scorer. Now if I was to argue he'd do that perennially then you may have a point. There is no reason to think he couldn't do 35 with Eichel as his center, at least for a few years. As I mentioned above, he is grossly overpaid though and I am glad the Habs aren't the ones doing it.

Except he scored 40 goals. Hence he's a 40 goal scorer. Now if I was to argue he'd do that perennially then you may have a point. There is no reason to think he couldn't do 35 with Eichel as his center, at least for a few years. As I mentioned above, he is grossly overpaid though and I am glad the Habs aren't the ones doing it.

Yeah. I don't thin calling him a 40 goal scorer is out of line. He's done it, for one thing ... and also the majority of his 30-something goal seasons for the Hurricanes came when he was on the 2nd or 3rd lines with questionable line mates. He's also now dramatically over-paid and I'm happy that my team isn't the one writing his checks.

I’ve been hearing for years how brilliant Hextall, Nill, Poile, Stevie Y etc are, while operating in much easier / geographically desirable markets yet their combined achievements are nothing to write home about.

Transplant this Habs team to a desirable market and I suspect even MB can achieve as much if not more success than the above. NHL / GMs success nowadays is highly correlated to operating in a player friendly market.

Couldnt care less about other markets

We know our challenges , its up to the regime to get the right talent evaluators and do a better job

7 years is long enough

Last edited:

Couldnt care less about other markets

We know our challenges , its up the regime to get the right talent evaluators and do a better job

7 years is long enough

But but but, other markets!

Your 2019 Montreal Canadiens

Bruins tie the series.

Such a loathesome bunch.

McEvoy and Carlo,among others, were outstanding draft picks for the Bruins.

A lot of focus on Rask etc. but Blues fumbling of the puck-a problem at the best of times- didn't help.Credit Bruins defence too for that I suppose.The difference in quickness of execution between the teams was quite apparent last night.

McEvoy and Carlo,among others, were outstanding draft picks for the Bruins.

A lot of focus on Rask etc. but Blues fumbling of the puck-a problem at the best of times- didn't help.Credit Bruins defence too for that I suppose.The difference in quickness of execution between the teams was quite apparent last night.

Charlie has a been a monster on D in these playoffs , what a steal at # 14

Pastrnak at #25, Scherbek at #26 wasn't it?

Idiots probably would have picked Scherbek anyway, even if Pastrnak were available. Maybe they should just fire the Habs scouts, put names in a hat, and draw.

I'm so jaded I'm blaming our scouts for not picking Pastrnak, even though he was off the table.

I think he needs to be with good players to be successful. But of course the Bruins saw to that by drafting Marchand and Bergeron years before.Another draft story where they outdid us. .

I think we need to sign a big name player for PR. We need to show the NHL Montreal is a desirable destination. I get the arguments against Aramis and Duchene, I really do but the benefit re PR, an energized fan base and improvement to the team outweighs the risk.

I think we need to sign a big name player for PR. We need to show the NHL Montreal is a desirable destination. I get the arguments against Aramis and Duchene, I really do but the benefit re PR, an energized fan base and improvement to the team outweighs the risk.

PR doesn’t win anything . Most of us agree the contracts will be stupid so why do it

This isn’t CMD choosing to sign with us and is the best player in the world.

Montreal will never be the desirable destination compared to other markets . 99% of these UFA’s are not going to make the difference to winning a cup.

It’s simply cash in for the last time as they head in their decline years .

We are better off making another Domi risk trade or capitalizing on a 67 type deal .

A winning team is the best argument, there is no point to show that Mtl is a desirable destination for future UFAs if we get handcuffed by the previous contracts offered.

I'd make an offer for Karlsson before Duchene.

Back