• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

Got to admit that I walked past the sports bar to check out the score last night and pumped my fist when I saw it was 2-0 Blues and gave a little grin at a guy wearing a Ruins jersey.

I guess it shows you don't need to tank for the generational talent, just look to improve your roster and be opportunistic with deals. O'Reilly probably had a reputation due to being on bad teams like Duchene is now.

I could be wrong but this is the first cup without a true superstar on a roster

I wouldn't put much into this years playoffs , you might never see this again

4 WC`s winning in round 1 , last place on Jan1 and win a cup, upsets galore

It was a weird year for sure. They even bucked the trend of having large contributions from players being dirt cheap. Before someone says "But Binnington!", they had Jake Allen as a $4.5M backup. I don't count that.

It's why I don't put a lot into repeat success for the Blues. It's one of those years where everything went right for them at the right time and good for them.

Yeah, this year was a fluke that will likely ever happen again. I mean, Everyone is raving about Binnington, and he was amazing last night, but he finishes the playoff with a .911 save percentage. That's like the 3rd worst in NHL history for a Stanley cup champion. He is very inconsistent.

Glad the blues won their first cup in history. Usually when a team wins the cup, you start looking at their models and you see team starting to copy it in hope they succeed. I don't think it's happening with the blues as everyone knows this year was an anomaly. The only thing the habs will take from this cup is that Bergevin will be able to brag that he is right that once you are in the playoff, anything can happen.

Yeah, this year was a fluke that will likely ever happen again. I mean, Everyone is raving about Binnington, and he was amazing last night, but he finishes the playoff with a .911 save percentage. That's like the 3rd worst in NHL history for a Stanley cup champion. He is very inconsistent.

Glad the blues won their first cup in history. Usually when a team wins the cup, you start looking at their models and you see team starting to copy it in hope they succeed. I don't think it's happening with the blues as everyone knows this year was an anomaly. The only thing the habs will take from this cup is that Bergevin will be able to brag that he is right that once you are in the playoff, anything can happen.

Never seen a team like the Blues push through for so long

They have been playing desperation hockey since January , incredible perseverance for nearly 6 months .

I could be wrong but this is the first cup without a true superstar on a roster

I wouldn't put much into this years playoffs , you might never see this again

4 WC`s winning in round 1 , last place on Jan1 and win a cup, upsets galore

Yeah, not sure if there is a future Hall of Famer on the roster (Pietrangelo? O' Reilly? Maybe Thomas becomes one of those 1% of prospects who end up being one). Can't think of any Cup winners without any.

The STL D trifecta were dominant - Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester (who despite being picked 3OA, was ranked as top NA by central scouting prior to 2002 draft)

Around the League - Playoffs 2019

This was Binnington. He’s not getting nearly enough credit for some of those 10 bellers last night. Now he’s lined himself up for a fat contract.

Last edited:

St.Louis was a Cup favorite at the beginning of the year, with goaltending being an issue as usual. Once they found goaltending in Binnington, they took off.

Got to admit that I walked past the sports bar to check out the score last night and pumped my fist when I saw it was 2-0 Blues and gave a little grin at a guy wearing a Ruins jersey.

I guess it shows you don't need to tank for the generational talent, just look to improve your roster and be opportunistic with deals. O'Reilly probably had a reputation due to being on bad teams like Duchene is now.

O'Reilly, unlike Duchene, always had a good reputation despite being on shit teams.

It’s a shame the Habs didn’t go after him.

Yeah, not sure if there is a future Hall of Famer on the roster (Pietrangelo? O' Reilly? Maybe Thomas becomes one of those 1% of prospects who end up being one). Can't think of any Cup winners without any.

You forgot their best player.

Around the League - Playoffs 2019

This was Binnington. He’s not getting nearly enough credit for some of those 10 bellers last night. Now he’s lined himself up for a fat contract.
For perspective Binnington playoffs .914 Sv%, compare that to Rask .934.

Jake Allen’s career playoff sv% .921

The bigger factor IMO these playoffs for STL was the big-3D and the 4-line offensive depth.

The bigger factor IMO these playoffs for STL was the big-3D and the 4-line offensive depth.

They won the battle in the trenches

I'd be surprised if we didn't try, in fact there was a lot of rumors about it, with Buffalo asking for our 3rd overall pick in return, but the timing wasn't great for us. Even the resulted trade sounded something like a 1st, a 2nd and Poehling for O'Reilly. It made more sense for a team like St.Louis that was trying to win now than a team like us that was trying to reset.

I've watched the Blues all playoffs long, he was very good. But St.Louis put up some stinkers, especially at home, and they were awful on the PK. In fact, Binnington save % at even strength was .929%, much close to Rask .932%

According to Eric Engels ROR was part of a potential Pacioretty deal but when Dobson and Wahlstrom fell during the draft Isles decided to keep the pick instead of dealing it to Habs which would have them been flipped to Sabres as part of a 3-way deal.

I'd be surprised if we didn't try, in fact there was a lot of rumors about it, with Buffalo asking for our 3rd overall pick in return, but the timing wasn't great for us. Even the resulted trade sounded something like a 1st, a 2nd and Poehling for O'Reilly. It made more sense for a team like St.Louis that was trying to win now than a team like us that was trying to reset.

Yup , the timing was wrong and still is for us for any vet looking to win now

Unless TT develops for Buffalo they got smoked in this deal . Buffalo went for the jugular and wanted way too much in return .

Colorado didn't get much in return on the first trade as well .

Always like ROR`s game , a Bergeron type 200 foot player .

Back