• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

Agree re: C need and multiple ways to team build, however, the Cs do need to be able to provide physical North/south thrust should it necessitate.

Take TBay for example no one would argue regarding their C skill/depth, but all of them except Miller are east/west types and rarely provide north/south thrust. Playoff hockey almost always calls for north/south game. That’s my take anyway.

STL & Bos Cs though not overly large have enough size/strength to provide that north/south thrust.

Washington won last year with more east/west type centers.

Agree re: C need and multiple ways to team build, however, the Cs do need to be able to provide physical North/south thrust should it necessitate.

Take TBay for example no one would argue regarding their C skill/depth, but all of them except Miller are east/west types and rarely provide north/south thrust. Playoff hockey almost always calls for north/south game. That’s my take anyway.

STL & Bos Cs though not overly large have enough size/strength to provide that north/south thrust.

Great post ....... north south game , physicality , and as you say no f*g hockey

Its a battle of will in the trenches , floaters and softies need not apply in the playoffs

Bruins reportedly sign Samuel Asselin to a 3 year deal. Kind of pisses me off. Yeah, he's a non-drafted 20 year old who may not rise above the ECHL level. But on a Mooseheads team that was very good, he was their best player regardless this year. 48 goals. Was also excellent in the Memorial Cup. We've signed a lot of junk out of the Q needlessly, but he has a good shot to make it and I hope we made him a decent offer. Maybe we didn't-a Q guy would likely have taken a Habs offer? Do they even scout that league? He is exactly what the Bruins have been getting-low cost, tenacious guys who overachieve and make it to the third and fourth line. I expect him to do the same at some point. Sure, we got Teasdale who may make it, but also a lot of guys from that league that obviously weren't going to make it and were just AHL filler

Blues were in dead last on New Year, now they’re 1 win away from the cup.

Blues were in dead last on New Year, now they’re 1 win away from the cup.
They also were a couple of points away from winning their division during the regular season, and made Jets & SJS look weak in the respective series. STL is a good team that never got solid playoff goaltending in the past - this is not some type of miracle run IMO.

Binnington is the reason for sure. Journeyman minor leaguer gets hot? Crazy.

No, its not a miracle. I picked them to win that division in October, and they did, then lose to SJ, which they didn't. But they hardly look like the usual Cup winner. But a team like that, if they win, certainly merits it.It will make a great story. We have a final that is now playing itself out nicely, as unlike many years it is anyone's Cup at this point.

Brayden Point and Yanni Gourde play more of a north-south type of game also.
They are dependent upon to make fast transition carrying the puck up the ice with speed.

Regardless your point still stand, good post.
Gritty hardworkers non-stop motors, but no sandpaper.
Not a physical north-south.

Last edited:

Marner , Rantinen , and Point just got a major chubby
Don’t think this deal impacts 2nd contract RFAs (Drasaitl deal threw RFA market out of whack), but UFA market will use this as a gauge.

Duchene’s baseline has just been defined
I fear....

Why not? People keep pointing out that Tavares deal set the bar for Matthews and Marner. RFAs seems to be demanding UFA money these days.

Around the League - Playoffs 2019

Why not? People keep pointing out that Tavares deal set the bar for Matthews and Marner. RFAs seems to be demanding UFA money these days.
Drasaitl getting UFA $ as an RFA when no one was before that deal in 2017, set the bar for all future high end RFAs. Bobby Mac was saying owners & GMs are still royally pissed with Edm for not playing hardball.

All that’s happened since has been domino effects - Matthews wanting to up the Drasaitl ante, Marner wanting to match or up Matthews, I’m waiting to see how much Canes overpay Aho by - I expect that will become the new benchmark.

Last edited:

Drasaitl getting UFA $ as an RFA when no one was before that deal in 2017, set the bar for all future high end RFAs. Bobby Mac was saying owners & GMs are still royally pissed with Edm for not playing hardball.

All that’s happened since has been domino effects - Matthews wanting to up the Drasaitl ante, Marner wanting to match or up Matthews, I’m waiting to see how much Canes overpay Aho by - I expect that will become the new benchmark.

Overpaying Aho , Marner , Point or Rantanen at 22 is a hell of difference than giving 9 mil to a 28 year old pending UFA

Those guys are getting nearly 100 points . Skinner has cracked 60 points twice

Who would you overpay the one declining in 3 years or the stud barley 30 at the end of the deal

The day was coming when the stars got more money earlier , but Skinner is no stud .

No issue with the others getting UFA money at 21-22, at least you have them in their prime locked up

Back