Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 920 of 1225

Thread: Around the League - 2019 Offseason

  1. #901
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    56,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    Not really , just waiting for the Habs after 7 years under this regime to maybe turn a corner and compete for something .
    I’ve been hearing for years how brilliant Hextall, Nill, Poile, Stevie Y etc are, while operating in much easier / geographically desirable markets yet their combined achievements are nothing to write home about.

    Transplant this Habs team to a desirable market and I suspect even MB can achieve as much if not more success than the above. NHL / GMs success nowadays is highly correlated to operating in a player friendly market.


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  2. #902
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    54,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    Ironically Habs have one of those win/win transactions - Petry was a great deadline acquisition & re-upping of prime years at $5.5M.
    This is exactly the point I am making about going after and signing the right UFAs.

    Petry was locked up long term at the age of 28 and his game was definitely suited for the speed game of the NHL.

    He’s having his best years at the moment.
    Go Habs Go!

  3. #903
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    For sure. I'm not even necessarily comparing the two. Just pointing out that evaluating Skinner as a 40 goal player is very generous of you.
    Except he scored 40 goals. Hence he's a 40 goal scorer. Now if I was to argue he'd do that perennially then you may have a point. There is no reason to think he couldn't do 35 with Eichel as his center, at least for a few years. As I mentioned above, he is grossly overpaid though and I am glad the Habs aren't the ones doing it.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  4. #904
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,705
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Except he scored 40 goals. Hence he's a 40 goal scorer. Now if I was to argue he'd do that perennially then you may have a point. There is no reason to think he couldn't do 35 with Eichel as his center, at least for a few years. As I mentioned above, he is grossly overpaid though and I am glad the Habs aren't the ones doing it.
    Yeah. I don't thin calling him a 40 goal scorer is out of line. He's done it, for one thing ... and also the majority of his 30-something goal seasons for the Hurricanes came when he was on the 2nd or 3rd lines with questionable line mates. He's also now dramatically over-paid and I'm happy that my team isn't the one writing his checks.

  5. #905
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    I’ve been hearing for years how brilliant Hextall, Nill, Poile, Stevie Y etc are, while operating in much easier / geographically desirable markets yet their combined achievements are nothing to write home about.

    Transplant this Habs team to a desirable market and I suspect even MB can achieve as much if not more success than the above. NHL / GMs success nowadays is highly correlated to operating in a player friendly market.
    Couldnt care less about other markets

    We know our challenges , its up to the regime to get the right talent evaluators and do a better job

    7 years is long enough
    Last edited by GEEMAN; 06-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.

  6. #906
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    Couldnt care less about other markets

    We know our challenges , its up the regime to get the right talent evaluators and do a better job

    7 years is long enough
    But but but, other markets!

    Your 2019 Montreal Canadiens

  7. #907
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    123,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Bruins tie the series.

    Such a loathesome bunch.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  8. #908
    1st Liner Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Bruins tie the series.

    Such a loathesome bunch.
    Torey Krug keeps on climbing on my list of most despicable players.

  9. #909
    Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    McEvoy and Carlo,among others, were outstanding draft picks for the Bruins.

    A lot of focus on Rask etc. but Blues fumbling of the puck-a problem at the best of times- didn't help.Credit Bruins defence too for that I suppose.The difference in quickness of execution between the teams was quite apparent last night.

  10. #910
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by east coast View Post
    McEvoy and Carlo,among others, were outstanding draft picks for the Bruins.

    A lot of focus on Rask etc. but Blues fumbling of the puck-a problem at the best of times- didn't help.Credit Bruins defence too for that I suppose.The difference in quickness of execution between the teams was quite apparent last night.
    Charlie has a been a monster on D in these playoffs , what a steal at # 14

  11. #911
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    54,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    Charlie has a been a monster on D in these playoffs , what a steal at # 14
    Ans Pastarnak at what #25?
    Go Habs Go!

  12. #912
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    Ans Pastarnak at what #25?
    Yup , Pasta panned out into a star

    He was a string bean project at 18 but what a pick

    One the best cohesive top lines I have seen in a decade

  13. #913
    Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Pastrnak at #25, Scherbek at #26 wasn't it?

    Idiots probably would have picked Scherbek anyway, even if Pastrnak were available. Maybe they should just fire the Habs scouts, put names in a hat, and draw.

    I'm so jaded I'm blaming our scouts for not picking Pastrnak, even though he was off the table.

    I think he needs to be with good players to be successful. But of course the Bruins saw to that by drafting Marchand and Bergeron years before.Another draft story where they outdid us. .

  14. #914
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    59,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    I wouldn't even give that contract to Karlsson and he's a lot more valuable than Skinner.
    Aramis is getting more than Skinhead
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  15. #915
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    59,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    I think we need to sign a big name player for PR. We need to show the NHL Montreal is a desirable destination. I get the arguments against Aramis and Duchene, I really do but the benefit re PR, an energized fan base and improvement to the team outweighs the risk.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  16. #916
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    I think we need to sign a big name player for PR. We need to show the NHL Montreal is a desirable destination. I get the arguments against Aramis and Duchene, I really do but the benefit re PR, an energized fan base and improvement to the team outweighs the risk.
    PR doesn’t win anything . Most of us agree the contracts will be stupid so why do it

    This isn’t CMD choosing to sign with us and is the best player in the world.

    Montreal will never be the desirable destination compared to other markets . 99% of these UFA’s are not going to make the difference to winning a cup.

    It’s simply cash in for the last time as they head in their decline years .

    We are better off making another Domi risk trade or capitalizing on a 67 type deal .

  17. #917
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    43,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    A winning team is the best argument, there is no point to show that Mtl is a desirable destination for future UFAs if we get handcuffed by the previous contracts offered.

    I'd make an offer for Karlsson before Duchene.

  18. #918
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    59,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Torey Krug keeps on climbing on my list of most despicable players.
    I said it when he was rookie "make the world a better place, punch Torey Krug in the face".
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  19. #919
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    I said it when he was rookie "make the world a better place, punch Torey Krug in the face".
    Or have him on your team

  20. #920
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    59,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    Or have him on your team
    i would still hate his twerp ass
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •