• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

You nailed it DK , 100 % .

I was trying to tell my Leaf buddies WTF was your regime thinking when they signed JT .

So you give your 5th most important player 11 mil just before you have to pay your 2 most important players in the last 20 years

First of all they didn't need JT , he can't help your porous D .

He didn't even move the needle in the playoffs .

What should of been a 5 year systemic organic rebuild ended on July 1 .

This regime foolishly thought that Marner and Matthews would take a home time discount .

Without that contract those 2 come in at around 9 mil and the rest slot in perfectly down the road .

Now , every move is a scramble job to fill a roster under the cap.

JT made sense for a Minny where there was no salary comparable and no key players had to get paid

Now key players will need to be moved to make it work

And essentially rather than have a smooth and harmonious negotiation with Nylander and Marner you need to play hardball because every nickel matters at this point.

Also, rather than lock up Mathews for 8 years you will be leading him into a negotiation as a UFA in five years.

I think these situations are a result of having this tavares contract hovering over everyone head

Box office prices are on that stupid Ticketmaster sliding scale, but the partial season ticket price runs $50-120 for basic seating other than 3rd level, depending on location. I have no idea what you consider decent, but my seats (full season package) in the lower level behind the goal where the home team shoots once cost me roughly $70 a game with a face value of $90 ... all US$

Christ that is cheap. If you want lower bowl in Montreal or where I live Vancouver, you are looking at least $125.00 per ticket for a season ticket.

You nailed it DK , 100 % .

I was trying to tell my Leaf buddies WTF was your regime thinking when they signed JT .

Whenever you can get a talent like Tavares for "free" l think you should do it. They could have addressed their D issues by dealing Nylander instead of signing him. Now, he had a horrible year so they probably won't be able to get that top D for him. It's like if we somehow would be able to sign Karlsson while already having Weber and Petry, you just sign him and shore up a weakness somewhere else by dealing Petry.

Christ that is cheap. If you want lower bowl in Montreal or where I live Vancouver, you are looking at least $125.00 per ticket for a season ticket.

It is what it is. Carolina's pricing is fairly well in line with the other US mid-sized markets. They also didn't raise prices significantly for the bulk of that 8 year dead period, so they have some market adjustments coming over the next couple of years. Those were this season's prices and the 2019-20 prices are roughly 10-15% higher depending on location. If they maintain competitiveness, and they should with a very young core, then we're in for at least one more significant price jump over the next 2-3 seasons.

Jacques Martin really has a 50 % chance at the Sabres head coaching job? Wow, I guess Sabres defensive game needs a lot of fixing.

I think it's more about all of their coaching candidates have refused or gone elsewhere. They're out of options.

Whenever you can get a talent like Tavares for "free" l think you should do it. They could have addressed their D issues by dealing Nylander instead of signing him. Now, he had a horrible year so they probably won't be able to get that top D for him. It's like if we somehow would be able to sign Karlsson while already having Weber and Petry, you just sign him and shore up a weakness somewhere else by dealing Petry.

You have to look at the whole picture before you make this type of move . Does a player impact their signings .

Are we better , does he fills needs , etc...

I have no issue with JT the player but that contract will clearly impact how they move forward . Now every move is all a scramble job to make it work .

The rebuild ended July 1 before work was complete to add IMO.

It’s like Chicago adding Hossa before they had Seebrook and Keith in place .

They didn’t acquire JT and Muzzin to lose in round 1 again.

Are you giving the same contract to EK because he is free on our team ?

You have to look at the whole picture before you make this type of move . Does a player impact their signings .

Are we better , does he fills needs , etc...

I have no issue with JT the player but that contract will clearly impact how they move forward . Now every move is all a scramble job to make it work .

The rebuild ended July 1 before work was complete to add IMO.

It’s like Chicago adding Hossa before they had Seebrook and Keith in place .

They didn’t acquire JT and Muzzin to lose in round 1 again.

Are you giving the same contract to EK because he is free on our team ?

Hossa isn't a really good example because they won 3 cups with him. They had to deal Byfuglien, Ladd, etc, away, but he was still worth it. I admit Karlsson could be a mistake, but not because he isn't a "fit", but because he might be past his prime. I still think Tavares wasn't a mistake. Instead it was signing and keeping Nylander, who IMO isn't as good as Tavares, though he's younger.

If Erik Karlsson didn't have so many foot issues, I'd give him a blank check and let him name his price.

However, in the real world, I couldn't give 8 years to Erik Karlsson. Nothing to do with his age or skill, the injury history is just too long and worrisome for me.

The Tavares contract isn't that bad for Toronto, honestly. If they really need to make space, as a last resort, I don't think William Nylander will be all that difficult to trade.

What would have really helped them is if they had their equivalent of Tavares on defense. That's their Achilles heel.

Bob McKenzie
[emoji818]
@TSNBobMcKenzie
OTT has asked for (and received) permission from DAL to interview Stars’ assistant coach Rick Bowness. Bowness will be the sixth candidate interviewed by Ottawa. Others include Marc Crawford, Troy Mann, Jacques Martin, D.J. Smith and Nate Leaman.

Bob McKenzie
[emoji818]
@TSNBobMcKenzie
OTT has asked for (and received) permission from DAL to interview Stars’ assistant coach Rick Bowness. Bowness will be the sixth candidate interviewed by Ottawa. Others include Marc Crawford, Troy Mann, Jacques Martin, D.J. Smith and Nate Leaman.

in 5 years Therrien will be a fashionable candidate for head coach

Bob McKenzie
[emoji818]
@TSNBobMcKenzie

Best news there: no Ducharme. He’s probably been told that he’ll replace Julien in 2 years.

Bruins showing championship pedigree,taking out the pretenders. 4-0 Bruins after 2 periods. Carolina not into it at all.

Bruins showing championship pedigree,taking out the pretenders. 4-0 Bruins after 2 periods. Carolina not into it at all.

I was far from impressed by the Bruins in round one but they have looked dominant since

While I appreciate them taking out the Leafs, and don't mind them taking out mediocre teams towards which I am indifferent like Columbus and Carolina, let's hope the West has enough to give them a battle and win.

Leafs were the best team they faced.

When you watch Columbus and Carolina against the Bruins, you wonder what in the hell was wrong with Washington and Tampa Bay. Its a disgrace they lost. Though I was kind of glad Tampa went out anyway.

Back