• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Caps, Game Three, 7:00pm Eastern, FSC/CNBC

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Washington leads the series 2-0 as the venue flips from Downton DC to West Raleigh. You guys know the details of how we've gotten here ... Carolina has dug themselves a hole and the clawed back only to come up short ... once in regulation, once in OT. The level of play has been physical, but game control has been all over the place. Neither team really seems to be able to grab a game by the neck, which is fine. This IS the playoffs after all. Nobody's supposed to go down easy ... cough, cough TAMPA.

I assume we will get some morning skate and morning press conference updates from the usual media sources, but I don't expect many changes for either team. Nobody got extra discipline following Game 2, so everyone who was available for Game 1 is available for both teams. Given home ice and the way they felt the need to hide Fleury in Game 2, if de Haan is ready to roll, then expect him to do so. Maenalanen looked decent but didn't get a lot of ice time as the 4th unit felt the brunt of Ferland getting tossed in Game 2, so I'd expect him to stick and Kegger to stay on the sidelines. There's no compelling reason not to go back to Mrazek in net, unless Brindy just wants to send a "business as usual" message by going back to his rotation. I expect the Czech. Up 2-0 and playing fairly well, I don't expect much to change for the Caps. Until something breaks, there's nothing to fix.

Now ... the game. Remember that old saw about nothing having changed in a 7 game series until somebody wins on the road? Yeah ... it's only true if you win at home. We're at that point for the Canes. Of course, playing at home is a HUGE boost and not just because of the fans and sleeping in your own bed. Last change is always a big deal in the post season, and Carolina will certainly be looking to mix up the matchups to get Aho's line away from Kuznetsov, and maybe to line up Staal on Backstrom as much as possible. Meanwhile, Washington has been hiding Christian Djoos and that's going to be a LOT harder to do on the road without actually juggling your defense pairings. And if you're the Canes brain trust I'd think you'd go to significant lengths at this point to make somebody other than Backstrom beat you. He has owned this series through two games and that needs to be disrupted. It's go time for the Canes. The building will be jacked and the boys need to moderate their emotions early. After that, they can ride it home.

Last day of work for me before a week's vacation, so I won't be able to get to the PNC until 5:00 pm today. But that's enough time to have a couple of beers and enjoy a sunny afternoon (FINALLY!). I'll be driving back to Raleigh to watch Thursday's game - much to the chagrin of my family - but they know some things are better left unspoken. I expect the home fans to be loud and proud. I don't know how many Caps fans will be in the building, but as long as our team plays well, I'm sure we'll be able to shout them down. If we can get use to this playoff thing, over time we might be able to build our fan base so that we can displace some of these opposing fans from our friendly confines. Go Canes!

Yeah ... here's the official schedule from the Canes.

Parking Lots open at 2:00 pm, and I understand that this is SUPPOSED to be hard and fast.

South Plaza pre-game party with live music and the usual nonsense starts at 4:30 pm

Doors open at 5:45 pm ... and this one generally IS hard and fast

"Showtime: is at 6:30 pm ... not sure what all they have planned for a full half hour, but fans have been encouraged to be in their seats by 6:30

"Puck Drop" is 7:00 pm ... which actually means the puck will drop between 7:06 and 7:20.

Looks like RBA made some changes. This is from the morning skate and Michael Smith’s projected lineup:

Niederreiter/Aho/Turbo
Svechnikov/Staal/Williams
Ferland/Wallmark/Martinook
Foegele/McKegg/McGinn

Slavin/Hamilton
Pesce/Faulk
Fleury/TVR

Mrazek in goal. de Haan is skating again today, but he did on Saturday too and didn’t play.

I'm good with all that. If de Haan isn't 100% ready, then plopping him in the middle of this particular maelstrom is a bad idea. The forward lines are a variation of what he's used in the first two games. I guess Kegger gives you another center and thus some flexibility when you want to mix it up, but he's going to have to turn up the heat a notch or two over what he brought to game one. Since we're on last change tonight, that 3rd line lets you bring the boom against pretty much any of the Caps lines, since Marty and Ferland should be able to check well enough to hold their own and Wallmark has actually been a difference maker early on. You can shift Foegele or McGinn up for Marty if he's having one of those nights he has where he thrashes around more than he actually does anything. Both of them have been solid.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Eric Furlatt #27, Dan O’Halloran #13

Linesmen:
Scott Cherry #50, Devin Berg #87

Wes McCauley is the standby. Don Koharski is the series supervisor.

Canes were 4-1 with Furlatt, 3-3 with O’Halloran. Caps were 2-2 with each. Both refs had home team winning % over 50%, O’Halloran was 8th in the league with home teams at 44-31, Furlatt at 40-35. This is Furlatt’s 124th playoff game, O’Halloran’s 210th. O’Halloran has worked 10 Stanley Cup Finals, including every one from 2010-17, his streak was broken last year. Both he and Furlatt worked the Conference Finals last year. Furlatt has never worked a Stanley Cup Final.

Given the current state of officiating in the league, you're probably not getting a better pair than Furlatt and O'Halloran. Ugh ... that actually hurts to type since neither is actually a good ref. They're predictable though, and that's important.

Go win this.. I'll be watching from home late due to a prior commitment. I'll probably start watching about 9 PM. :( (Thank you DVR. ) I'll have to ignore the phone as well.

Please come out strong and stay out of the damn penalty box. That is all. Hoo boy, my heart is pumping a lot of blood very quickly. Please just win. Please?

3.50 and .860
Nice to keep rolling with that after not doing it all year. Hopefully we won't be down 2 after 10 minutes again. If Ward had this performance people would be screaming their heads off.

3.50 and .860
Nice to keep rolling with that after not doing it all year. Hopefully we won't be down 2 after 10 minutes again. If Ward had this performance people would be screaming their heads off.

So... you think McElhinney should be starting tonight, then?

I can't agree.

Since March 1st, Mac's numbers have dipped considerably. Sure, he should have been pulled from the Winnipeg game to avoid some of that, but still... he allowed 31 goals during that time to Mrazek's 18. He was 4-4-1 during that stretch. Mac has never started a playoff game in his 10 year career.

In 2002, when Irbe was replaced by Weekse, it was in the middle of a game that the Canes roared back to win, so Weekes earned the next start. Weekes would get replaced by Irbe again in the next round, with Irbe carrying the team the rest of the way.

In 2006, Gerbe was known for faltering during the playoffs, and found himself replaced by a rookie Cam Ward who would go on to win the Conn Smythe.

I just don't see Mac as the solution to what went wrong during the first two games.

Even if, god forbid, the Caps jump out to a 3-0 lead again tonight, I don't see Brind'Amour replacing Mrazek, because he hasn't all season, so the Weekes approach is off the table.

Last edited:
Canes score first! Turnover right in front of the net. 1-0

They're crediting Foegele.

Ovechkin just kicked Svech's butt, #37 might be injured.

Making a ****ing call you piece of shit, worthless referees.

3 tackles, 6 crosschecks, 2 interferences, one headshot....not one call.

I hope someone takes Ovechkins eye out with a stick and ends his ****ing career. What a worthless douchebag. The refs have zero control over this game.

Ok. I don't care about these playoffs. We're outclassed, and out dirtied with NHL ref bias in major play. Ovechkin? Whatever it takes - HURT HIM. Omg. I am SEETHING. Bloody hell!
DO SOMETHING TO THAT PIECE OF S@#$ OVENCHICKEN

Where the f is player respect when a over 30 year old 'champion' does this to a 19 year old? Is that somehow, manly? In most places? We call you a bloody pussy. omg

Back