• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Playoffs GDT #7: April 23, 2019, 7:00pm - Once More Into the Fray

Really poor form to duck out of the entire season due to the sens being horse shit only to pop in to rag leaf fans on a game 7 playoffs series loss.

No shame.

Would have been here all series, but an over zealous mod gave me a week off for no reason.

Welp, can' say that I'm surprised by the outcome. I guess I was just mentally prepared for another letdown after the abysmal display of game 6.

Game 6 was an embarrassment and game 7 was just more of the same old failures. What it comes down to for me, we need better defenceman, plain and simple. This has been known for over two years now. I'm sure its easier said than fixed but Dubas needs to get it done if this team is to get any better.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm still angry this morning, but I kind of feel like I'd already got my mourning for this series loss out of the way.

To start, I came into this series with the mentality that I'd be surprised if we won, based on the Leafs' & Bruins respective play in the second half of the season.

And while my hope that we'd win started to grow each of the three times we took a lead in this series, once we lost game six at home and had to go back to Boston for another game seven, all my hope was pretty much gone.

The final nail in the coffin was the laugher Freddie gave up to start the third and give Boston a 3-1 lead. At that point, I mentally closed the book on this season.

that first goal made me think of the Lalime days.

just an absolute shit way to go out.

all came unraveled at the end after a really great series.

****ing Bruins.
Yep. I made this comparison last night (as well as the comparison of Leafs/Bruins to Leafs/Sens circa 1999-2004), and I think it's an apt one.

Like Lalime, Andersen is a fine enough goalie to backstop a very good team to a good regular season record.

And like Lalime, Andersen is compiling a hell of a record of sinking his team by letting in absolute laughers at the worst possible times in the playoffs.

I am sick of hearing of Marner's contract and how rich he'll be. He stunk.
That's one positive aspect of this playoff exit.

Marner and his camp put off negotiations until the off-season, and in doing so gambled that they'd be able to demand the same money as Matthews on the back of a big playoff run from Marner (and perhaps another sub-par performance from Matthews). Instead, Matthews ended up with five goals in seven games, and Marner's been invisible since the first game.

And on the whole, Matthews has two good playoff performances (Washington, Boston 2019) vs one shitty one (Boston 2018), and Marner has two shitty playoff performances (Washington, Boston 2019) to go against one good playoff performance (Boston 2018). So, good luck to you in the negotiations to come, Mitch & Paul Marner.

tenor.gif

whoever summed up the season by saying, "what a waste" hit the nail on the head.

at least Marner played himself out of some money most likely.

this one stings in ways the previous two have not. probably because we actually looked like the better team for much of the series. but man were we lacking when it mattered the most.

The Leafs didn’t win the series but they also didn’t give away a potential first overall for Duchene. Sheer luck that the pick dropped to fourth which is still a giveaway.

Leafs will be fine.

Dubas is a smart young man and shanny (the architect of the team) will nail this down in the next few months.

I have a really big feeling that the leafs are going to part with someone big in the organization. Besides babcock.

I really dont think a young coach like keefe is the best option for the leafs. Especially in a market like Toronto.
Make keefe one of the assistants with an eye to the future, but some team like a seattle might want someone like him to start their franchise.

Last edited:
Back