Page 111 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 3882

Thread: The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

10 x 6 is an overpay. And that one would sting, for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leafman101 View Post
    The only way I move Naz is it if gets us the legit top pair RHD. Which Petry is IMO. I am not so sure how picky we can be with such a specific need.
    Since by trading Naz, we'd be opening up a big hole (either at center, or at right wing if we move Willie to #3C) in order to fill another one...I think we can be pretty picky.
    #FireBabcock #Freddy Andersen=Patrick Lalime

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    Since by trading Naz, we'd be opening up a big hole (either at center, or at right wing if we move Willie to #3C) in order to fill another one...I think we can be pretty picky.
    Yeah but #3 center is a much more manageable hole than top pairing D. Swapping those holes is an upgrade IMO.

2nd Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but #3 center is a much more manageable hole than top pairing D. Swapping those holes is an upgrade IMO.
    Difference of about 8 minutes played per night. Kadri at the three hole is a tremendous luxury. But they're not getting maximum value out of him playing so few minutes. If they can turn that into a top pair guy, it's an obvious move you make.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    Kadri + Brown for Petry + ??
    Weren't you the one saying Petry sucked when the Habs acquired him from the Oilers?
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward DP View Post
    There's basically zero chance it's less than that. I think that right there is best case for us.
    "...And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Trading Kadri turns us into a two line team. Are we forgetting how hard it is to get a center? How many draft picks and failed experiments did we endure trying to get a 4C? Now Gauthier is passable in the role, and we want to create a void at 3C? I don’t think we can trade Kadri till we draft another young C and know pretty confidently that he’ll be able to play in that spot really soon. And with no 1st again next year, that seems a tall task.

Also, I feel desperation is making some overrate Petry. If I’m trading Kadri, I don’t trade him for that guy. Frankly, if you decide you have to trade Kadri, you have to trade him for a young potential stud who makes nothing. A trade like Nancy Drou for Sergachev. That’s the kind of deal we need to be knocking on doors to find. Then you fill a hole on D and have $4m to spend on replacing Kadri or adding another D.

By the way, **** the cap and the way it’s costing his assets for no reason.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    Kadri 4.5 + Zaitsev 4.5 + Brown 2.1
    Petry 5.5 + Shaw 3.9 + ??

was shaw's bounceback last year legit?
    If Shaw can play healthy and with talented linemates he's legit. Bury him on the third or fourth line and you'll be somewhat disappointed.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

2nd Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Donskoi - average third line center - Kapanen becomes a real good third line imo. Real good. Hard part is finding that mediocre 3c at a manageable rate. As I said, bracco would be a potential trade chip for that.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s not an overpay. That’s fair. The kid is probably gonna crack 100 points at age 22.

We get caught up in the contract drama and forget that Marner is as or more important to us than Matthews in many games. Like the whole Boston series in 2018. He’s earned minimum $10m on a longer term deal.

2nd Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

At six years I'd have Mitch at 9.3-9.5 per. 10 is entirely reasonable and fine.

If you asked him today there's not a chance in hell he accepts that though.

Post Thanks / Like

Overpay, but it's one I could live with. It's definitely at the higher end of what I would want to be paying for Mitch and on a 6 year would ideally be in the 9.4 range, but I'd end up taking it and ending this nonsense. The sooner this gets done, the sooner boy wonder can put his full focus on trading Zaitsev & Brown, as well as pulling cheap value from the free agent market.
    "I measure twice and cut once. I just dropped the mic"

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Trading Naz for a cheaper, worse center makes no sense.

The Leafs need a big minute D to replace Hainsey's minutes, ideally much more effectively. They have lots they could move for it, Naz at 29 is just the most movable one. And its not that hard to get depth centers, its top 2 centers that are hard to come by. Both finals teams added their 3rd line center this year (Bozak as UFA, and Coyle for Donato at the deadline). Top pair d don't move as freely.

Post Thanks / Like

Big no on trading Kadri. We just don't have the depth in the forward group for it. One of our bigger problems last year (partially self inflicted, Mike) was the inability to generate offence from our depth. Using Kadri to solved the RHD problem exacerbates that, and honestly doesn't really solve the RHD problem, just improves it some. But so does slotting Dermott over, and turning Zaitsev into something, anything that isn't a massive negative.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s another important thing that presses on us to make a deal quick.

If this contract is still up in the air, we may miss out on a key ufa or two that we won’t be able to commit to.

Post Thanks / Like

and if you cave to demands north of 10 million, you won't have the cap space to add those key free agents anyway.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

We agree there. I'd much rather have a hole at third line center than on our top defensive pairing, especially when Matthews & Tavares are our top-2 centers and Nylander can play the position as well.

But I still don't think that means you jump at trading Kadri for whichever RHD you can find to plug that hole.

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Overpay, but it's one I could live with. It's definitely at the higher end of what I would want to be paying for Mitch and on a 6 year would ideally be in the 9.4 range, but I'd end up taking it and ending this nonsense. The sooner this gets done, the sooner boy wonder can put his full focus on trading Zaitsev & Brown, as well as pulling cheap value from the free agent market.
    10 X 6 for Mitch would be right in line with what we did with Nylander & Matthews---an AAV about $600K higher than I'd ideally like to see us give out.

So yeah, I'd be able to live with that. But I'm not convinced that Marner's camp isn't willing to die on the "pay me no less than Matthews" hill.
    #FireBabcock #Freddy Andersen=Patrick Lalime

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't have cap space to add key free agents regardless. Is bargain bin shopping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    That’s another important thing that presses on us to make a deal quick.

If this contract is still up in the air, we may miss out on a key ufa or two that we won’t be able to commit to.
    Yup, and boy wonder and his psycho father are also likely aware of the Leafs' wish to expedite these negotiations. Which is exactly why they are pulling the tactics they are.

Important lesson learned from these last few contract squabbles. Athletes by and large don't give a shit about anything other than their bottom line. Anything else is pure lip service. Don't want to hear a guy like Marner talk about how he "loves Toronto" or any of that nonsense after he inevitably caves on his ridiculous demands. Just have to see how much his contract stand-off will affect the rest of our club and what the GM can do to improve the team in the off-season. Either way, Mitch Marner doesn't really care. As long as he gets his.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    That’s not an overpay. That’s fair. The kid is probably gonna crack 100 points at age 22.

We get caught up in the contract drama and forget that Marner is as or more important to us than Matthews in many games. Like the whole Boston series in 2018. He’s earned minimum $10m on a longer term deal.
    If you think that is fair market value for Mitch, there is no point engaging with you. That statement just demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the free agent market and the role comparable players and their contracts play.

Page 111 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast