Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190
Results 3,781 to 3,800 of 3800

Thread: The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    I warned him that Mitch would be at least as bad....
    We will see if Mitch takes it to December 1st like Goldilocks did. That would constitute "just as bad". Won't happen, though.

And yes as I've stated before, Willy's holdout was one of the big reasons we underachieved last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    just salary cap wimps
    From what I've read, the biggest thing those guys are missing is that the salary cap is something that has to be managed on an ongoing basis. It's not something that you fix and you're done with it. A GM's job is to jam as much skill as possible within the existing cap structure and manage it all daily...forever.

They also seem to struggle with recent history, where teams in far more dire cap crunches than the Leafs were in, found ways to manage their cap structure without losing key players. If you look at the history of cap crunches, the Hawks are probably the best example. After their first cup win, they didn't trade away any core pieces (a core that went on to win a few more times), they traded away (and got good value for) the Buff's, and Laad's of the group. Their second cap crunch was alleviated when a future HOF'er literally came down with a severe allergy to hockey equipment. Tampa just alleviated theirs by trading JT Miller for a 1st, a guy that they got as basically a throw in with the McDonagh deal. We gave up a 1st and almost nothing else to get rid of ~13 million worth of Marleau, Zaitsev, & Brown.
    "I measure twice and cut once. I just dropped the mic"

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leaffan2005 View Post
    We will see if Mitch takes it to December 1st like Goldilocks did. That would constitute "just as bad". Won't happen, though.
    This is a pretty narrow view of the Willy situation though. From what we've learned since, Dubas 1) didn't get serious about the Willy negotiations until late in the summer & 2) Held a hard line for the majority of the process.

It's been suggested since, that had the ~7.0 offer been on the table earlier in the process, Willy would have signed it. A deal that a year later already looks pretty ****ing good. Dubas admits that he ****ed up the Willy situation, and it appears that Willy's demands were a bunch more reasonable than were rumoured at the time. We'll see whether that turns out to be the case with Mitch.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So how long before the press starts floating a rumor that Marner will sign a 1-year deal in the KHL...

I mean why not go full potato?
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Marner will be in our opening night lineup and everyone will love him.

Sorry, should’ve opened with spoiler alert.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year Friedman predicted that even if we did mange to sign Nylander, he’d be traded by the draft.

I really think there’s just people who’d love to see us have to rip it all down.

Post Thanks / Like

Freidman is teetering the way of the rest of the turds on Sportsnet.

Everything is for clicks now.

Post Thanks / Like

Sportsnet is losing a ton. They will have pressure for ratings with everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leafin' View Post
    Freidman is teetering the way of the rest of the turds on Sportsnet.

Everything is for clicks now.
    It's a shame, because his 31 Thoughts column might be the best thing in hockey "print" media outside of The Athletic. Dude is a pretty legit journalist. I guess the temptation to get sucked into the world of Dreger et all is too strong.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    Sportsnet is losing a ton. They will have pressure for ratings with everything.
    If you had told me, that in the same year, the largest Canadian province would lose money selling weed, and the country's largest sports broadcaster would lose money selling hockey, I would have called you a liar. A mother****ing liar.

2019 is truly the year of abject incompetence.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to see where Dreger goes from here. Can you even bother having him on giving you "Inside Info"?

Post Thanks / Like

If you had told me, that in the same year, the largest Canadian province would lose money selling weed, and the country's largest sports broadcaster would lose money selling hockey, I would have called you a liar. A mother****ing liar.

2019 is truly the year of abject incompetence.
    That is really goddamn embarassing. Hilarious, but shameful.
    "...And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    I'm interested to see where Dreger goes from here. Can you even bother having him on giving you "Inside Info"?
    The producers are just trying to fill air time bro. They don't give a **** about credibility, or the internet trolling Dreger. Just clicks and eyeballs. They're in a clicks and eyeballs business.

Twitter followers:

Bobby Margarita: 1.62M
    Dreger: 1.09M
    Lebrun: 730K
    Friedman: 494K
    Kypreos: 462K
    Ferraro: 231K
    Mirtle: 155K
    ODog: 146K
    CJ: 126K
    McLennan: 119K

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else annoyed by some of the self-promoted "celebrity" around these so-called analysts?

"Hey guys, this is my cottage in Muskoka. This is my favourite summer drink. Oh, and I invited Dregs and Kypreos for the weekend."

That's not a real example, but close enough I'm sure for anyone that follows Twitter. I get it's the off-season and there's not much to talk about except Marner getting $14M AAV, but I don't remember it being this insidious even 5 years ago.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old fart.
    Last edited by Feyd; Yesterday at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
    That is really goddamn embarassing. Hilarious, but shameful.
    Welcome to Ford's Ontario. Not that the Liberal plan of having 3 stores open in the entire Province, staffed by 100K a year union workers was any better, but yeah. Ontario had lost money on legalization up until some point in time recently.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Ford's Ontario. Not that the Liberal plan of having 3 stores open in the entire Province, staffed by 100K a year union workers was any better, but yeah. Ontario had lost money on legalization up until some point in time recently.
    I'm just waiting for Dofo to pull the trigger on selling the LCBO. Another 407 debacle in the making.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the very few positive things to come out of Ford getting elected is that at least the Ontario Liberals or the NDP didn't get the chance to entrench a government-owned and operated monopoly staffed by a public-sector union as the only place where you can legally buy your weed in a bricks and mortar store in Ontario.

Privatization has been done hilariously badly of course, but hopefully going forward future governments will find it too hard to put that genie back in the bottle and bring in the "Cannabis Control Board of Ontario" stores Wynne planned.
    #FireBabcock #Freddy Andersen=Patrick Lalime

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    One of the very few positive things to come out of Ford getting elected is that at least the Ontario Liberals or the NDP didn't get the chance to entrench a government-owned and operated monopoly staffed by a public-sector union as the only place where you can legally buy your weed in a bricks and mortar store in Ontario.

Privatization has been done hilariously badly of course, but hopefully going forward future governments will find it too hard to put that genie back in the bottle and bring in the "Cannabis Control Board of Ontario" stores Wynne planned.
    Yeah, that's more or less exactly how I feel. Ford's plan was the best plan, even if it was hilariously bad and implemented horrifically.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
    I'm just waiting for Dofo to pull the trigger on selling the LCBO. Another 407 debacle in the making.
    I've detailed this in the past, but if these twits actually knew what the 'free markets' or 'being run like a business' meant, they would have put the whole pile of those publicly owned companies on the market, sold a chunk of it for liquidity and to create free trading shares in an IPO (for significantly more than they've ever gotten in private sale) held on to the rest of it, paid a healthy but reasonable dividend and actually maintained government control of them while getting paid huge money every year in dividend. I did a long ass rant post on here last year where I broke down each individual entity (LCBO/Beer Store, CCBO *at the time it looked like we were getting ontario run cannabis stores*, 407, Hydro) and broke out the numbers and it was a couple hundred million in dividend a year, taking in a big fat ****ing payment on the front end for the IPO, while still maintaining ~60% control of the whole pile.

For people who claim to be business friendly, they don't seem to understand how business actually ****ing functions.

Jalen Rose - 03/07/2019

Post Thanks / Like

That's the conservative mantra. Deregulation & Privatization. And yeah, it's funny how they are somehow the party associated with being "fiscally responsible".

Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190