• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

At least we have next season, where hopefully the team is better and Babcock is not the coach. Bring up Keefe.

Babcock should be gone, but not sure if keefer is the right choice.
Maybe we can trade zaitsev and brown for trotz

If Marleau brown and Zaitsev are gone I'm happy. I don't care if it costs them the next three 1st rounders to do it. I'm not watching those guys play major minutes again. It's enough.

Babcock out. Keefe or anyone in. Hell get Boudreau in here for all I care.

Gardiner, Marleau, Hainsey out.
Kadri...keep, but consider offers.
Get Phil Housley over here to coach our powerplay. That was literally his lifeblood, so HOW BAD CAN IT BE WITH HIM IN CHARGE?

Alright kids, this might be an angry, emotional postmortem but it will do.

Let's just jump right into the list of concerns:

- Babcock man. I know it's easy to point at the coach when the players don't get it done, but here we are with shit utilization again costing us in a 7 game series against the Bruins. Ron Hainsey isn't a #2, Zaitsev isn't a #3, full stop. But they get played like that and it regularly, regularly costs us. We struggled or at the minimum under performed damn near everywhere coaching has the biggest impact and adjusting just isn't something Mike does. He was legitimately good for the young guys as they established themselves as NHL players, but it's pretty clear now that tactically he's killing us. I get if Dubas doesn't fire him, but at the absolute minimum his assistants have to go and all of the team's systems have to be pulled apart and examined, especially the special teams. We have too much talent on both sides of the puck to be mediocre at both.

- The blueline. This at least partially fixes itself with certain bodies leaving due to contracts ending, and I expect Sandin to make the team out of camp next year, the kid is just that good. Dubas has some work to do (specifically, finding a home for Zaitsev) but for as much shit as it's going to take over the summer, Rielly-Muzzin-Dermott-Sandin-Rosen isn't a bad starting point. We're going to need another body or two though that are #4-5 type quality guys and we don't have a lot of cap space to do it with (though turning Zaitsev into

- Kadri. What do we do here? **** me I'd love to give him another mulligan, but the 1st round goes through Boston again next year and we just can't trust him to not get the red mist every ****ing time he sees a cheap shot on a team mate in front of him. If we can get a legit top 6 winger for him, I think we have to consider moving Willy to centre full time and pulling the trigger on the trade

- Nylander. For the analytically inclined, we know that he wasn't as bad as the general public thinks, but he should be a lot better than that. It shouldn't even be up for that type of discussion, but Willy allowed it to become one. There will be stupid calls to trade him for a defender (the siren song of the southern ontarian moron if there ever was one) but regardless, dude needs to be way better next season for us to take another step forward. He has legit game breaking talent and should be a regular weapon for us. With that said, Babcock should have strapped him to Matthews until they worked their shit out. Kappy is a lovely player, but he's not the playmaker that helps drive Matthews

- Marleau. This imo is Dubas' toughest job of the summer. He's done. We know it, hopefully he knows it. At the absolute most, he should be a 4th liner but with our cap situation, we need some sort of Orpik manuevre to make that work. We could really use that cap space

- Freddy. Again just good enough to not quite be good enough. I had numb nuts take offence to me calling him a limiting factor to our winning a cup when I said it early in the season and here we are again with Freddy giving up a complete laugher that had us chasing the game and then leaving all sorts of space in the top of the net to shoot at on the 3rd one when we had cut the lead to one. This is 3 years in a row he's been a key reason we're not pulling out wins in these elimination games. He's a good starting goalie, but I don't know if he's good enough. We're locked in, but sadly we're in the same spot with him we were in last summer. We need a backup who can cut his workload down into the mid 50's.

I don't think you give up on Freddie. He is quite capable of just stealing games, and he did in this series. We do need to get a vet so that he plays no more than 60 or so games, maybe even less. He's just not capable of a full workload plus playoffs.

You can’t keep a guy you can’t trust

Yeah, I love Naz but we probably got the best years out of him anyone is going to get. He's nearing 30 and on his bargain deal would have a pile of value. He's a good chip to use on a winger tbh, which allows us to move Willy to centre full time, where if we stick him with Kappy and Moore, makes a really, really good 3rd line.

Freddie might be fixable with another goalie coach. He's pretty dicey though. This is shitty, since there aren't a lot of goalie options out there. I mean **** me Rask was just average this series and we couldn't deal with average.

Back