• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

He pouts publicly, but okay whatever you guys say. He’s our coach so I’ll shut up about it for a while. I’d prefer not to be right on this one.

Idk know why go that route hockeylover, talk about whatever you want, and don't treat me disagreeing as telling you to stop.

Kinda pouty, arms crossed in the corner.

:shrug

I’m simply agreeing to disagree here. I see one thing from his comments about what the club needs, you see another. I’d rather not keep on fighting with fellow Leaf fans arguing it’s not going to work. I’ve said my piece many times already and I’d prefer to be wrong.

Not sure how that’s pouting.

Yeah babcocks comments speak for itself really. Nothing wrong with both sides interpreting them differently. I don't think either side will change their mind about it so it's not a very interesting debate really.

Oh I think there is some push and pull, I just want us all to remember that it's not as if they just communicate in front of reporters, I think, if we are being reasonable, that it's all the talking we are not privy too that drives the true narrative, not the scraps we get.

Hell, I can see Babcock getting fired np, and I can believe they have differences...I can also believe those differences are more on the table than we are allowed to know.

If someone else is arguing that they think things are different in conversations we aren’t privy to, there’s absolutely nothing I can counter with. Agreeing to disagree is the only route that makes sense.

I knew he was putting up points but actually watched 2nd and 3rd period of Sweden v Switzerland and Nylander looked incredible. 1 goal and 2 assists in a 4-3 win. The assists were beyond primary assists. All over the ice. Also playing left wing which is potentially interesting for next year.

The core of this team is still learning how to win in the play-offs.. it's frustrating, but it'll come.

A lot of Cup winning teams have gone through this.

Why do we have to see Carolina go to the Conf. finals their first year in? Colorado took a step forward their second year. That excuse no longer works.

agreed

What’s it been, 20 playoff games recently without a series win?

20 should be enough to figure it out.

Players have to take some of the blame.

Babcock is a bigger problem with his usage of the team he has.

But there is a move the leafs could make which could help both in money and the return we could get from an anderson trade.

How about brown and anderson to the Oilers for a Larson or nurse and their first this season?

The leafs free up 7 million in cap space, as well as getting another top 4 dman and a top first round selection.

The difficulty here is who to replace Anderson with.

What about bringing back a mcelhaney along with one of the youngsters (woll or scott)?

Maybe there is another goalie option out their one of you are aware of, that could help the leafs for the next 2 years until either one or both of woll or scott will be ready.

I know that this move could be business suicide for dubas, but if it worked out, it would be brilliant.

If the leafs did manage to dump marleau and zaitsev on top of the Anderson and brown move, there would be alot of money available to resign kappy and johnsson, maybe even a gardiner as well as bringing in another player or two for other areas.

The only problem I can see is getting some stable goaltending for the next 2 seasons until the kids are hopefully ready.

Last edited:
Andersons failure in the playoffs isnt from just this season or last, but also from his days in anahiem.
He doesnt seem to be able to come to the price and Rask level in the playoffs.

You’re using recent bias on both Rask and Price.

Until this playoff season Rask has done precisely squat and Price only got to the ECF before getting injured.

Players have to take some of the blame.

Babcock is a bigger problem with his usage of the team he has.

But there is a move the leafs could make which could help both in money and the return we could get from an anderson trade.

How about brown and anderson to the Oilers for a Larson or nurse and their first this season?

The leafs free up 7 million in cap space, as well as getting another top 4 dman and a top first round selection.

The difficulty here is who to replace Anderson with.

What about bringing back a mcelhaney along with one of the youngsters (woll or scott)?

Maybe there is another goalie option out their one of you are aware of, that could help the leafs for the next 2 years until either one or both of woll or scott will be ready.

I know that this move could be business suicide for dubas, but if it worked out, it would be brilliant.

If the leafs did manage to dump marleau and zaitsev on top of the Anderson and brown move, there would be alot of money available to resign kappy and johnsson, maybe even a gardiner as well as bringing in another player or two for other areas.

The only problem I can see is getting some stable goaltending for the next 2 seasons until the kids are hopefully ready.

Goaltending is not, nor hasn't been the issue since Lou acquired Andersen back in 2016, Andersen has averaged 35ish wins a year and substained a 918%, that is top 5-10 goaltending right there, the issue has been poor systematic play (ie coaching) and a brutal PK rate the past 3 leaf playoff series. Giving up Andersen, does not solve any problems, and really just enchances them, given there is a) nobody available via trade/ufa to match or replace his numbers b) nobody in the system to come up and play starting minutes. Sure it would be ideal to shed 7 million in salary, but it doesn't mean ridding our starting goalie to do so either, the two are not mutually exclusive. By all accounts Gardiner is gone, that frees up 4-4.5 million, Marleau appears to be out (he bought a house on the west coast), that frees up another 4.5 millon, right there we shed 9 million of the cap, granted Dubas will find a way to botch that, but thats a discussion for another day lol.

Andersons failure in the playoffs isnt from just this season or last, but also from his days in anahiem.
He doesnt seem to be able to come to the price and Rask level in the playoffs.

Anderson had a successful playoff record in Anahiem, he had a record of 17-9, not sure how you could call that a "failure" in anyway. Toronto OTOH would be much more debatable, 2016 was a close series but in Games 1 and 6 he let in very leaky OT goals, ones in which you would expect a starter to have back, so yes in that series I'd say he was a failure. 2018 he was bipolar, he had wild swings between brutal games (1,2,4,7) and elite ones (3,5,6), there wasn't any middle ground with him in that series, failure maybe is a bit too harsh, but wild I think would be a more accurate term to describe it. Last years series? No way was he a faliure! He kept his GAA well under 3 and had a 922%, that's solid netminding, what sunk us last series wasn't goaltending, but horrific PK'ing.

He let in two completely shit goals in game 7. Fault him for the entire series? No, he was overall quite good. Fault him for letting in two laughers in an elimination game, two years in a row? Absolutely.

He let in two completely shit goals in game 7. Fault him for the entire series? No, he was overall quite good. Fault him for letting in two laughers in an elimination game, two years in a row? Absolutely.

True he let in 2 weak ones in Game 7, but lets be real here, that's not what cost us the series, poor PK'ing was. We gave up 1.5 goals per game on their powerplay, had we even had an 80% PK rate, this series is over in 6 at best, goaltending wasn''t even remotely the reason we lost, Andersens two floaters aside.

I better not hear from the media again next season how Andersen carries the team every game. He keeps letting us down in big games.

I better not hear from the media again next season how Andersen carries the team every game. He keeps letting us down in big games.

Because it's true he does carry the team? Then again, for every good to great team is carried by an equally good/great goalie. Andersen didn't lose us the series, our poor PK'ing did however.

True he let in 2 weak ones in Game 7, but lets be real here, that's not what cost us the series, poor PK'ing was. We gave up 1.5 goals per game on their powerplay, had we even had an 80% PK rate, this series is over in 6 at best, goaltending wasn''t even remotely the reason we lost, Andersens two floaters aside.

Maybe you should read what I wrote again?

Back