• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

We should 1000% run with the kids.

Why do we even have Rosen and Borgman if not for exactly now? And that’s if we don’t want to go with the studs.

Don't think Sandin or Lily play for the big squad this year. Dubas has already mentioned he is looking to upgrade on the blueline so not rush the kids and help them get more seasoning. So we are basically starting with Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott with 3 holes to fill. I assume Rosen has a spot, which makes it 4. After that it's a crapshoot but getting another established guy or two would be necessary if we have serious cup aspirations.

It's not rushing them if they're ready. I know what Dubas said and I have no doubt that he'd like to turn Zaitsev into something useful and make another addition on top of that for the right price, but the kids sure looked ready with their level of play in the AHL last year.

We should 1000% run with the kids.

Why do we even have Rosen and Borgman if not for exactly now? And that’s if we don’t want to go with the studs.

I agree

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-XXXXX
Rosen-XXXXX

With those 2 spots filled up by:

- Whatever we turn Zaitsev into
- Sandin
- Lilly
- Borgman
- Kivihalme
- Holl
- Duszak

We have enough bodies to get through until Dermott returns. I know they're free wallets and all, but I think people are sleeping on Duszak and Kivihalme. Duszak is 21 and was tied for 5th in the NCAA in scoring (as a defender). He was 2nd in the NCAA among defenders in PPG (behind Adam Fox, and ahead of Cale Makar). This would not even remotely be the first time some random NCAA'er came out of nowhere to be a player. Also right handed. Kivihalme is older, grew up in the US so there's no real transition needed from the big ice. He's been one of the #1 defender on the best team in Liiga the last few years, is considered a very good 2 way defender and not just an offense first guy.

We have a pile of guys who look like they have the skill set to play 4-6 type of minutes for a good team, we just need a couple of them to grab the opportunity.

These ideas are all fine, but the problem is that the leafs are still coached by babcock.

This is the same guy who continues to use the 4th line in the last 2 minutes of a period or game.

He continues to employ the stretch pass even if 3 of his defencemen cant hit the side of a barn from more than 30 feet

Babcock will continue to play his favorites no matter what.

As for hainsey, I think he will be looking and will probably be offered a 2 year term by someone for 2 million.
I wouldnt do that. I would run with the kids and see what happens.

I think that next seasons cap hit 20/21 will have a minimal raise to it, if at all.

I read that the NHLPA and the league are looking at keeping the cap hit for the next 2 years at a minimum to help offset the the money the players have with held from them for the escrow account.

If this is true, then next seasons UFAs and teams with rfas are going to get screwed.

Dreger on the 1050 this morning "3-4 teams are going to go after Marner. I mean everyone is being secretive, and not proving info because its RFAs, but my instinct is 3-4. We don't actually know anything about Marner's negotiations with the Leafs. They may be getting closer to a deal. We don't know anything."

Stop listening to these guys. They are talking out of their ass because they know the market eats it up. None of it is accurate information.

As for the D, Hainsey played a lot of important minutes, not well, but he played them, and I think they'd like to avoid putting that pressure on a kid. To play big PK minutes and tough 5 on 5 minutes. I would think that is why they would want to add a vet dman. I doubt they want to add 3 guys, but if they could add someone affordable that takes some tough minutes so they don't have to pile the pressure on a rookie it would be ideal. Also ideally that is not Zaitsev. Might not be possible with our cap situation though.

Dreger on the 1050 this morning "3-4 teams are going to go after Marner. I mean everyone is being secretive, and not proving info because its RFAs, but my instinct is 3-4. We don't actually know anything about Marner's negotiations with the Leafs. They may be getting closer to a deal. We don't know anything."

Stop listening to these guys. They are talking out of their ass because they know the market eats it up. None of it is accurate information.

Dreger is getting sad. On Overdrive he said Marner has been treated so bad by fans. LOL. What? They only started turning on him due to Dreger himself, who is a puppet for Marner's side. He's been treated amazingly in this market.

I'm still stunned Dreger has put everything on the line over offersheets.

Honestly I don't think there's a doubt in the world that they add a d. Knowing dubas, he's aiming high. But if that fails I can 100% see Hainsey coming back. 100%.

As for Zaitsev, he will likely be a hotter commodity as the UFA d get plucked. There will be a trade to make there. But if he's gone I can see them getting 2 d. By all accounts they really really do not want to rush their young d. I don't think it's rushing but they do. Bobo said it, and then dubas said it. I trust them both. I can see one in the lineup if he has a good camp simply because Dermott is out, but not both.

Rielly-hainsey
Muzzin-zaitsev/new d (heed/tanev/etc)
Dermott-finnish guy/Rosen/liljegren

Think they may go into the season looking like that to be honest.

In the current market, Zaitsev's contract is fine. He's not old, and is a RHD. He also played some of his best hockey in the playoffs since his rookie season.

In the current market, Zaitsev's contract is fine. He's not old, and is a RHD. He also played some of his best hockey in the playoffs since his rookie season.

If the Canucks dont get Myers, Zaitsev becomes likely. And honestly any canuck fan should hope and pray they choose the Zaitsev option.

Dreger is getting sad. On Overdrive he said Marner has been treated so bad by fans. LOL. What? They only started turning on him due to Dreger himself, who is a puppet for Marner's side. He's been treated amazingly in this market.

I'm still stunned Dreger has put everything on the line over offersheets.
He was also arguing passionately this morning that Marner is worth at least the same money as Auston Matthews.

Referenced how Nikita Kucherov is a winger, yet making more money than Steven Stamkos, and it's not an issue in Tampa. Then he dropped that he was taking to "a player agent" who said that Marner could easily get an offer from another team for $13-14M per season.

Mitch should really be paying this guy commission.

Honestly I don't think there's a doubt in the world that they add a d. Knowing dubas, he's aiming high. But if that fails I can 100% see Hainsey coming back. 100%.

As for Zaitsev, he will likely be a hotter commodity as the UFA d get plucked. There will be a trade to make there. But if he's gone I can see them getting 2 d. By all accounts they really really do not want to rush their young d. I don't think it's rushing but they do. Bobo said it, and then dubas said it. I trust them both. I can see one in the lineup if he has a good camp simply because Dermott is out, but not both.

Rielly-hainsey
Muzzin-zaitsev/new d (heed/tanev/etc)
Dermott-finnish guy/Rosen/liljegren

Think they may go into the season looking like that to be honest.

If they go into the season with nearly the same D minus Gardiner and the same coach... jeez. I can’t get excited about that.

He was also arguing passionately this morning that Marner is worth at least the same money as Auston Matthews.

Referenced how Nikita Kucherov is a winger, yet making more money than Steven Stamkos, and it's not an issue in Tampa. Then he dropped that he was taking to "a player agent" who said that Marner could easily get an offer from another team for $13-14M per season.

Mitch should really be paying this guy commission.

It's ridiculous. I don't think Dreger realizes how pathetic he looks. Bobo must just secretly hate seeing this.
No NHL team is giving up 4 1sts and paying Marner 13-14. It's pathetic.
NHL teams at the draft were so hamstrung when the cap went down a million from projections, yet 14 million? no problem!

Of course agents are going to tell you that teams are willing to pay insane money the week before free agency. Maybe thats not reliable info Dregs.

Of course agents are going to tell you that teams are willing to pay insane money the week before free agency. Maybe thats not reliable info Dregs.

Gord Miller is another one. He loves telling about his dinners and bets with GMs or NHL agents. You can't trust what these guys are saying at all. And the worst thing is, it's anonymous, so they don't have to worry about hurting their reputations. Darren Dreger however, is destroying his.

www.scottcullen.com

A common sense approach to the Marner negotiations.
4b9d95806d90f58de35caa8e23a4b1d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Back