• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

One thing seems clear. The Marner camp thinks they have Dubas over a barrel. Young GM who took quite a bit of heat on his first big contract negotiation with Nylander (deserved or not), and Marner is the team golden boy. They're using the media to control the narrative and increase the pressure.

Dubas doesn't strike me as a guy who will cave, but the pressure is definitely mounting.

I'm not sure he deserves much over $10 mill based on comparables, but I'm okay going up to $10.5 m. Ideally under $10m, but that seems unlikely at this point.

But under no circumstances should his cap hit be over $11 m.

From all reports he's not budging from his Matthews ask. His dad has insecurities about his comparison to Matthews so it wouldn't surprise me if he's driving the bus here.

Is it worth it though if Mitch goes somewhere else and loses all his commercials? I question their logic here.

One thing seems clear. The Marner camp thinks they have Dubas over a barrel. Young GM who took quite a bit of heat on his first big contract negotiation with Nylander (deserved or not), and Marner is the team golden boy. They're using the media to control the narrative and increase the pressure.

Dubas doesn't strike me as a guy who will cave, but the pressure is definitely mounting.

Doobie holding firm with Willy hopefully shows Mitchy he's not just going to be walked over. I mean I understand Ferris trying to maximize his client's pay day too. At some point they'll have to meet in the middle.

Is it worth it though if Mitch goes somewhere else and loses all his commercials? I question their logic here.

It's an ego/pride thing at this point. His dad likely wants mitch to at least be equivalent to Matthews.

I mean his dad called Matthews pig nose and got legitimately angry when people on twitter complimented him.

From all reports he's not budging from his Matthews ask. His dad has insecurities about his comparison to Matthews so it wouldn't surprise me if he's driving the bus here.

I've lost a lot of respect for Mitch with with the whole Paul situation. The Athletic interview and twitter burner account were complete sideshows, and Mitch is letting it happen.

Funny how this city chooses its favourites and goats though. Can you imagine if that was Mike Nylander?

If the Leafs would prefer 9.5 and Marner would prefer 11.5... its kind of surprising there’s so much drama. 10.5?

Yep. Same as Nylander. All the reports were he wanted $8 and the Leafs wanted closer to $6...

The contract will get done, and it will be reasonable. Both sides want to make a deal. The negotiations are really a game. Both sides are just trying to get a good deal and don't want to show their hand too early. The idea that you print out the list of comps and just pick a number is nice, but that's just not the process. The amount of noise in the media around contract negotiations is nuts. Its completely normal for it to take months. What Matthews did was the exception. No other big RFA has signed yet.

I've lost a lot of respect for Mitch with with the whole Paul situation. The Athletic interview and twitter burner account were complete sideshows, and Mitch is letting it happen.

Funny how this city chooses its favourites and goats though. Can you imagine if that was Mike Nylander?

Yeah. Nylander’s side stayed silent even when fans were dragging him and his dad. But this has been a shitshow in terms of public remarks from agents and dads.

Male Leaf fans actually are threatened by Nylander's good looks (I'm being serious). If he was more goofy-looking like Mitch he'd get less heat.

Then he can drive that bus to a team thats willing to give him that term and give us 4 1sts in return.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Ever met a kid that can control their nutjob parents? Let me know when you find one

Ever met a kid that can control their nutjob parents? Let me know when you find one

I get it, but Mitch is not really a kid anymore. He's a 22 year old man playing professional hockey. "Thanks for all the sacrifices you made. Here's your cottage, I'll take it from here."

I’m sure offer sheets are fun in theory for Marner’s camp or just the threat of one but when you actually look at the teams with both the cap space and picks, leaving your hometown team for those clubs probably isn’t actually that appealing.

Based on the Oilers media disucussing a potential deal for Puljujarvi will be a 3rd line forward and bringing up the Leafs and Oilers discussing a deal for Brown at the deadline there is a good chance there is a connection there

Rishaug and Matheson are puppets for the team and usually leak tidbits about potential deals.

No doubt. It makes their case stronger/weaker. But that doesn't mean they'll immediately give in just because of that.

It works both ways though. Just because Rantanen signs for $13 mill a year doesn't mean the Leafs would immediately change their offer to more than Marner is even asking for. Thats just not how contract negotiations play out.

thing is marner camp can't just say that he's comparable to Matthews, they have to actually show it.

and dubas will be more than happy to show clearly how he's not comparable to matthews.

Back