• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Islanders, Game 2 4/28 3:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes look to sweep the first 2 games in Brooklyn. As the captain said, "We came here to steal one, and now we can get a little greedy and try to get another one.”

Don’t expect any changes from Friday. The Canes didn’t practice yesterday so Svechnikov still isn’t cleared. They probably won’t practice again until Tuesday.

Lehner attributed the loss to “one shitty bounce”. I don’t know if he was referring to the carom off the end boards or Staal’s bank shot, off the post, off the skate, nothing but net. But the Isles had a goal chalked off in the 2nd for goalie interference and Mrazek had to bail out a couple of defensive miscues to keep them in it. Expect more of the same today.

NBC for TV with Forslund, Eddie O and Brian Boucher. Maniscalco and Tripp on radio.

Officially, the club are calling Svech and Martinook game time decisions. Both will take the pre game skate. I'm with Andy though, I don't see any way they put Svech in the lineup without a full, contact practice ... protocol or no protocol. Marty's easier ... if he can go, he will.

Both coaches will probably focus on offensive tweaks, as you probably aren't improving the defense much. Carolina had some gap issues and loose clearing attempts early, but they looked more like tired legs than leading to mental mistakes than anything else. Defensively, both coaches had to be fairly happy. Hopefully Brindy can find a tweak or two for the power play now that they've seen the softer kill that the Isles play. Special teams scoring should be huge in this series with few other goals on offer.

House money boys ... play loose and see how it goes.

Forgot to mention ... Ferland isn't even in NY. He's home working on a shoulder problem. I've seen some speculation that it's a rotator cuff, but I'm 90% sure nobody knows anything for sure.

Nothing screws up the Canes momentum like their power play. :nono

The Islanders power play is working fine. 1-0 NYI. Deflection off of Slavin's stick.

Over 100 minutes of shutout hockey for Mrazek wasn't going to last forever, I guess... pity to have it end that way.

Last edited:
Slavin puts the Isles up 1-0. Nice tip.

Waddell should fire whoever runs that powerplay. I don't care who it is. Its terrible.

@PR_NHL: Petr Mrazek's shutout streak was snapped at 135:04, the second-longest run in @NHLCanes / Whalers franchise history.

Kevin Weekes went 143:55 in 2002 playoffs.

Nothing screws up the Canes momentum like their power play. :nono

The Islanders power play is working fine. 1-0 NYI. Deflection off of Slavin's stick.

Over 100 minutes of shutout hockey for Mrazek wasn't going to last forever, I guess... pity to have it end that way.

OTOH, at least we are the only team scoring

As usual our defense is all over this game. This time helping out the Islanders too! =D

Tough break for TVR. Tough break for us. I also think TVR is quietly underrated. All of our defenders have pretty active sticks.

Put me down to glad that they didn't rush Svech. One thing at a time. Get that practice in and then go from there.

Was just noting the boys starting this 2nd looking a little tired, a step behind. Nice move to play the grunts, draw a penalty. Now lets go do something good on the PP

They might should consider taking ahi off the pp right now. Besides a decent shot he can hardly move around and he looked awful on that 5 on 3.

Now Mrazek's out with a groin injury.

Mac certainly getting tested early.

Last edited:
Back