• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Islanders, Game 3, 5/1, 7:00 pm Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
So ... you guys waiting for me or Andy I guess. Fine. Sorry for the delay, but I had a doctor's appointment.

OK, here we go. Carolina returns to home ice with a 2-0 series lead after taking both game in Barclays over the Isles. Injuries continue to batter their lineup, as they lost three more in Game 2, but the Canes are like Mr Plow ... nothing deters them. From press availability ahead of this game, Justin Williams summed it up nicely ... "I'm a realist, we haven't played very well. Tonight we need to show them what we're all about." I think that nails it pretty hard. The Canes have been opportunistic and resilient but haven't exactly lit the barn on fire. Still, up 2-0 in the series, it's impossible to complain. The Canes would love to ride the home crowd to a more complete effort tonight. Get the power play sorted, clean up the turnovers that have led to odd man situations, get their possession game really untracked in waves rather than in fits and starts. But at the end of the day, ugly wins count too and the Isles kind of force you to settle for that. Fine. Get a W and nobody cares what it looks like. Sounds like both Ferland and Svech will be gamete decisions, with no good read thus far on Martinook. Yesterday he seemed fairly likely, so we'll see. Brind'Amout actually used the word hopeful ... yeah. That.

From the Isles point of view, we'll probably get some word on Cal Clutterbuck before game time. He has a leg issue, and would be a big miss as he's a serious physical presence for them. I guess we could see Greiss in net if Trotz wants to shake it up, but I doubt it. Lehner has been more than solid so far. Honestly, there's not a ton to say here. They're a counterpunching team that lives on defense and transitions. They need to score, but they'll have to do it in their usual way. If they try to turn up the offensive heat and get out of their normal game, it won't go well and Trotz is too good a coach to fall into that trap. Look for the same grinding Islanders you've come to loathe and hate.

Carry on ... tickets are scarce and expensive. NBCSN has the TV, and Tripp and Maniscalco have the radio. Do what you do.

Yay! GDT Rosie in the house..
Svech and Martinook maybe back

Win this guys.. Take a stranglehold on the series. Don't give an inch.. and CMac Be calm cool and collected.

Sorry, Month end closing for me. My life as an accountant...

Svechnikov and Martinook are game time decisions as is Clutterbuck.

Good to see Rosie in the house tonight. Between him and Nestrasil last game, it appears they’re mending some fences with formerly estranged players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any danger in the locker room of letting a 2-0 series lead go to our head, because of the reasons discussed above and because we turned the tables ourselves on Washington after a poor start. This won't be a free-wheeling contest, so our discipline will have to be top-notch to avoid getting frustrated with Trotz's stingy defensive structure. Let's see if we can frustrate the Isles, instead.

Yeah, I think there's a zero percent chance of THIS Canes team letting anything go to their heads. It's just not that kind of team, and the leadership would never tolerate it. Too many scrappy mutts for any of that prima donna nonsense.

And tonight, I do think Carolina needs to try and step past the disciplined thing and get into their game. You can play possession hockey against the Islanders. They aren't invincible in their own zone. Ride the passion of the home game and get the legs going in the offensive zone. This is what Williams was talking about, in large part. After two games of reading and reacting it's time to assert the Canes game on the Isles instead of the other way around.

I'm allergic to starting GDT's so, ya.... thanks boys.

Congrats to McElhinney for getting his first playoff start. And, the oldest gent to make a first playoff start in net. Keep the front of the house clean for him and he'll never let us see him sweat... Mr. Cool.

Svech is all but certain to play.... and he'll be the X-Factor tonight, just watch

Svech is all but certain to play.... and he'll be the X-Factor tonight, just watch

If nothing else, having Svech back makes a huge difference trying to balance out the two power play units. His presence gives you actual options. Ferland coming back would be even better for those units.

If nothing else, having Svech back makes a huge difference trying to balance out the two power play units. His presence gives you actual options. Ferland coming back would be even better for those units.

And he's one of the better shooters on the team. Will be nice to get that back (if)

I'm allergic to starting GDT's so, ya.... thanks boys.

Congrats to McElhinney for getting his first playoff start. And, the oldest gent to make a first playoff start in net. Keep the front of the house clean for him and he'll never let us see him sweat... Mr. Cool.
I thought he had a start before but was pulled in it.

Somebody heard about Rosie already, but the siren sounders tonight are Petey Pablo (!), Chad LaRose and Devante Graham. For you puck heads who don't follow hoops, Graham is a Raleigh native who was a point guard on National Championship Kansas last year and now plays for the Hornets. Good dude. STRONG group, and I feel certain Rosie will really give that thing a ride so he doesn't hear it from Erik Cole.

BTW ... injury stuff.

Svech and Martinook will take the pre game skate and then Roddy will make a call on both. I suspect they're in. Nothing on Ferland, so I expect he's out tonight. Mrazek was on the ice for the extras skate session this morning, so that's really good news.

BTW ... injury stuff.

Svech and Martinook will take the pre game skate and then Roddy will make a call on both. I suspect they're in. Nothing on Ferland, so I expect he's out tonight. Mrazek was on the ice for the extras skate session this morning, so that's really good news.

Svech and Martinook back in would be huge, cherry on top if Ferland and Mrazek could play Friday night in game 4.

Barry Trotz really running his mouth about these next two games, pretty much guaranteed the Islanders would win both heading back to Brooklyn with the series tied at 2, I'd like to say Trotz is really sticking his neck out by saying that but he does not seem to have a neck...

We don't have a chance with Mrazek out. Mac has never started a playoff game. Mac's a siv, he better not be stagnuts.

Did dwind steal your ID? This is a very windy-an post. All that’s missing is the 5-2 final score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back