• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Islanders, Game 4 /3 7:00

Lindholm wore #16 from 2014-2017. He switched to #28 in the 2017-18 season and gave #16 to Marcus Kruger.

Fortune doesn't necessarily smile on the Whalers/Hurricanes player who wears #16, but the majority of them are noteworthy for one reason or another.

Bobby Hull, Bill Bennett, Michel Galarneau, George Lyle, Marty Howe, Sly Turgeon, Pat Verbeek, Nelson Emerson, Tommy Westlund, Ryan Bayda, Andrew Ladd, Brandon Sutter, Elias Lindholm, and Marcus Krueger all wore it for at least one NHL game with the franchise.

Good company for the most part, IMHO.

Last edited:
What a game, what a night, the atmosphere in and around the building, the place was just electric, it just seemed too easy at times with the way the Canes just stifled anything the Islanders tried to do. Just no words for this team and how hard they grind and work. StormChaser you set us well last night, my son couldn’t stop smiling!!!

I was too exhausted to post anything last night after coming home from the PNC (and re-watching the game I recorded), but I have to agree with CanadaCanes on the atmosphere on and off the ice. Largest crowd at PNC, first Canes sweep in a playoff, and the Captain's 100th playoff point. Yes, it was almost too easy after a crushing 2nd period performance, but that just goes to show how Roddy has put together a team that can play from behind or with a lead. It wasn't a perfect game, but this Bunch of Jerks have made their own lasting imprint in Carolina Hurricane history. Way to go boys!

I think many would have been happy to just sneak into the playoffs. And if the Caps had won that series, we'd feel good about the future.

Im not sure anyone outside that locker room had expectations that this season would become the most memorable in a decade.

I was wrong in my predictions and expectations.

I have no problem admitting I second guessed a ton of decisions along the way.

But this team is pure magic right now. I never had any doubts they'd go past NYI. I told some people it would be a 5 game series, 6 tops.

But that sweep was well needed. Hopefully the Bruins and Jackets wear each other down.

Those two teams can give this Canes team all they can handle.

A lot of lost edges tonight. Bad ice?
I wouldn’t be skating or at least very reduced time for some of the canes wounded and aged.

The league takes over the quality control for the ice during the playoffs now, and they CLEARLY don't know jack squat about managing our building. It's been 5-10 degrees warmer in the building than our staff usually keeps it and the ice has been uniformly soft and crappy in both rounds. So much for "experts." Guys, we don't keep it chilly for the fans or anything other reason than to reduce the humidity in the building. If it's allowed to get swampy and humid inside, the ice is going to suck. This is simple stuff.

There's a lot to say and too many emotions to say it all clearly. But here's a couple of thoughts:

Brindy, again ...
I'm officially fed up with the general supposition around the league that Rod is an unlikely tactician because honestly ... I've been watching the guy push the right buttons all season long. I'm only surprised by his tactical flexibility in-game now that we've gotten to the playoffs because that's not how he played things in the regular season. But it's not like he didn't make changes ... and fairly aggressive ones. He embarrassed Reirden and he stayed one change ahead of Trotz. Deal with it.

The Hammer ...
We've seen this all season. That point in the game when the Canes spin cycle in the offensive zone starts to cut to the bone and the opponent just gets overwhelmed. That 2nd period ... jeez. They set the juicer on pulp and taped the switch in the on position. Impressive doesn't even cover it, because they did it against the most tenacious and cohesive team defense in the NHL. And when the Canes get to THAT game ... they can beat anybody.

The D ...
Yeah. We all knew maybe three years ago that the Canes defense group could be special. When we saw how good Slavin and Pesce could be, I think we all knew it could happen. And you guys know I'm a D nerd, which is the real reason why I sit behind the goal we defend twice ... not because I'm cheap. I mean, partly because I'm cheap but whatever. That was an absolute clinic last night. Slavin and Dougie getting sticks on everything, Pesce covering both sides with grace, deHaan with some truly brilliant boxouts, guys avoiding heavy checks with smart footwork, savvy passes out of the zone, good decisions on when to bail and dump the puck out ... just a clinic. The Isles tried, man. They just couldn't get any traction in Carolina zone, even when they had possession time.

I don't know how far this team can go. They don't really match up very well talent wise with either of their next possible opponents. You know what? I don't care. I'm just going to sit back and watch and enjoy.

What a game, what a night, the atmosphere in and around the building, the place was just electric, it just seemed too easy at times with the way the Canes just stifled anything the Islanders tried to do. Just no words for this team and how hard they grind and work. StormChaser you set us well last night, my son couldn’t stop smiling!!!

Glad it all worked out for you, what a game!!!!

So, do we get to hang a Metropolitan Division Championship Banner?

Pretty sure the Caps still get to do that.

The Canes get the chance to play for a banner in the next round though. :thumbup1:

Thanks for quickly dispatching the Islanders. Gives me a bit of pleasure after how their fans behaved this season.

Good luck guys.

Back