• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Islanders, Game 4 /3 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes go for the sweep and the Isles try to avoid joining the 1993 Slugs; teams that swept in one round and were swept in the next.

Empty netters aside, we’ve seen 3 one goal games. But the Canes finally imposed their will on the Isles in the 3rd period on Wednesday, limiting them to 2 shots over the last 15 minutes. The Canes looked fresher at the end too, as RBA hasn’t been afraid to roll 4 lines, with McKegg and Martinook especially playing important minutes down the stretch. TVR’s injury is forcing essentially a 5 man rotation on d with Fleury only playing 8:30 while Slavin played more than 26 and Faulk and Pesce both over 23. We might see Ferland back today too and hopefully see Svechnikov playing more than the 10 minutes he played on Wednesday. Closing out tonight would be a huge benefit since the Conference finals won’t start for about a week and the Columbus/Boston series is a slog.

Parking lots open at 1, doors open at 5:30. No brooms allowed in the building. NBCSN for TV.

I'm hoping we can keep our foot on the neck of the Isles (notice I didn't say Trotz) and finish this series with a win at home. It will be desperation hockey from NY, so we need to put the first 3 games out of our mind and play this one with a "do or die" attitude. Except for the last 7-8 minutes of game 3, we haven't outperformed them, so let's do that tonight - at home.

Be better than the last game and finish this off. Faced with the relentless 4 lines of our boys, when clicking... down 3-0 they could quickly get frustrated. No let up.

General speculation seems to run towards Ferland rejoining the lineup tonight, which would kind of break up the 4th line party that group hosted on Wednesday. They might have been Carolina's most dangerous line 5v5, credited with 4 high quality chances created and generally being possession monsters the whole game. Brown, McKegg and Martinook took a big part of the Islanders team backbone, their beloved "identity line" and handed them their lunch. The fact that Brindy actually started that line spoke volumes. One assumes that Ferland would mix in on that unit to ensure he's really going be be able to last a full game, and one assumes that Brown would sit.

I'd also assume that McIlhenney will go in net again tonight. The unflappable vet was solid at worst and really good at best in Game 3 and Mrazek would really be pushing it to get back this soon from his tweaked groin. The safe play is to let Mack go for the sweep at home and then see how Mr Azek feels should a Game 5 be needed. A 3-0 lead gives you some luxuries, but you don't want to push that too far. This would not fit that description given the season McIlhenney has given the Canes. He's earned this.

Islanders ... hmmm. Honestly, while some of them have said the right stuff (thinking of Josh Bailey here), I don't like a lot of what I've heard from them since Game 3. They aren't out and out whining, but you can hear the kettle getting started in the background. They're a petulant bunch at this point. They seem more determined to convince the world of how fortunate the Canes have been than they seem determined to make any changes in order to do anything about it. I think Trotz doubles down on the boring and they try to trap the Canes into submission tonight. I mean, it worked in the regular season, right? Yeah. Maybe he swaps Lehner for Griess, I dunno. That would rattle Canes Twitter, but I seriously doubt the players give a crap one way or the other. They're both quality keepers and Lehner more than earned the starting role in the playoffs. That's a move that would smack of desperation, so ... nah. I figure Trotz just juices the boys up on how rudely the scoreboard has treated them and demands a shutout from his D.

Either way ... Carolina has taken the playing with house money thing to extremes this post season. I don't think they know how to play a relaxed game, and they certainly don't frustrate easily. What they do is work their tails off and empty the collective tank night after night after night. They say eliminating a team is the toughest thing to do in the NHL. Cool ... let's go do that then. Sounds awesome.

Just win. Let the Isles whine and complain later. Seems a lot of Isles fans think a 4 out of 4 unsweep is completely possible.

It's not gonna happen though.

Pretty happy to hear that Ferland may be dressing, as long as I don't see him heading off the ice and down the tunnel at 4:35 of the second. We need him for the whole game if he's gonna suit up. Healthy, he brings yet another dimension.

Honestly, I don't know about Ferland. He certainly adds a sandpaper element to the game and he is capable of scoring goals, but he hasn't done much of that in the 2nd half of the season. Our 4th line was arguably one of our best the other night, so tinkering with that chemistry carries a downside risk. Guess Brindy is mulling all of this over and will make a decision based on what his gut is telling him. It's hard to argue with whatever decision he makes, based on his performance in these playoffs.

All Brind'Amour has to do is tell them win tonight and they can take the weekend off. See you at practice on Monday.

Otherwise, we have to work this weekend.

Guaranteed win. :sarcasm

I may actually miss parts of this one as my son has an activity at his school that coincides.

My take on Ferland? I think this may also be Brindy's way of saying show me the money, I'm playing you, now go prove your worth cause we haven't seen any of it in a LONG time.

I may actually miss parts of this one as my son has an activity at his school that coincides.

My take on Ferland? I think this may also be Brindy's way of saying show me the money, I'm playing you, now go prove your worth cause we haven't seen any of it in a LONG time.

Kids...

I really don’t think the coach is too happy with Ferland right now. Brindy walked right up to the line and then stepped back, nearly accusing him of jaking it. But between the lines, it was pretty clear.

Kids...

I really don’t think the coach is too happy with Ferland right now. Brindy walked right up to the line and then stepped back, nearly accusing him of jaking it. But between the lines, it was pretty clear.
Maybe so ... I do think that can be read differently depending on context. Brindy was either annoyed with what he considering faking, or that injury turned out to be worse than expected and Brindy was annoyed at him for hiding it from the training staff or otherwise minimizing his injury. I've seen speculation that runs both ways, but it's all just that ... speculation. All we know for sure is that Brind'Amour was/is annoyed with the guy.

Bottom line ... yesterday Brindy said when Ferland is ready, he's back in the lineup. It looks to be a moot point for tonight, as he was out on the ice this morning with the reserves and walking wounded again. That would mean he's not going. Which is fine. I want to see that 4th line get rewarded for their recent efforts with something on the scoresheet tonight. They've earned it.

Maybe so ... I do think that can be read differently depending on context. Brindy was either annoyed with what he considering faking, or that injury turned out to be worse than expected and Brindy was annoyed at him for hiding it from the training staff or otherwise minimizing his injury. I've seen speculation that runs both ways, but it's all just that ... speculation. All we know for sure is that Brind'Amour was/is annoyed with the guy.

Bottom line ... yesterday Brindy said when Ferland is ready, he's back in the lineup. It looks to be a moot point for tonight, as he was out on the ice this morning with the reserves and walking wounded again. That would mean he's not going. Which is fine. I want to see that 4th line get rewarded for their recent efforts with something on the scoresheet tonight. They've earned it.

Yeah that opening tick tack toe almost converted play between McKegg, Martinook and Brown where the latter almost scored at the doorstep... was like unexpected. Then again, they kept it up for the whole game. Bloody loved seeing McKegg steaming around out there, barelling around the end boards and corners wreaking havoc. If I'm Brindy, I would go with that line again to start this one. Anyway, I'm not, its game 4, we are a step away from making it to the conference finals.

Enjoy this game everyone

Kids...

Yeah, I'd be pissed too if you commit to go and really aren't ready. You gotta be sure at this stage of the season. Respect your limits. That being said, aparently it would take losing both knees and a blindfold to keep Martinook out of a game.

Last edited:
Yeah that opening tick tack toe almost converted play between McKegg, Martinook and Brown where the latter almost scored at the doorstep... was like unexpected. Then again, they kept it up for the whole game. Bloody loved seeing McKegg steaming around out there, barelling around the end boards and corners wreaking havoc. If I'm Brindy, I would go with that line again to start this one. Anyway, I'm not, its game 4, we are a step away from making it to the conference finals.

Enjoy this game everyone

Trotz started his 4th line so RBA responded in kind. McKegg was 7-2 on faceoffs on Wednesday and played 8 shifts in the 3rd, as many as Aho, Turbo, etc.

Pretty happy to hear that Ferland may be dressing, as long as I don't see him heading off the ice and down the tunnel at 4:35 of the second. We need him for the whole game if he's gonna suit up. Healthy, he brings yet another dimension.

Ferland does bring another dimension for sure when healthy, hope he is healthy and eager to get back in there and contribute. Greiss had the Canes number this year, it would not shock anyone if Trotz tries to shake things up tonight by starting him, in fact, when your down 3 games to none you have to try something different...

Tailgating starts at 3 for this guy and again special thanks to Storm Chaser Bill for the help with securing tickets for tonight.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Steve Kozari #40, Kelly Sutherland #11

Linesmen:
Jonny Murray #95, Ryan Gibbons, #58

Standby: Chris Rooney #5, Michel Cormier #76
Series Supervisor: Rod Pasma. He’s a VP in the Hockey Operations Department with no officiating experience.

The entire quartet worked Dallas/St. Louis game 3. We had Kozari with Jean Hebert for game 2 against Washington. This is the first time we’ve had Sutherland in the postseason. We had Murray for game 1 against Washington with Tony Sericolo

Ferland does bring another dimension for sure when healthy, hope he is healthy and eager to get back in there and contribute. Greiss had the Canes number this year, it would not shock anyone if Trotz tries to shake things up tonight by starting him, in fact, when your down 3 games to none you have to try something different...

Tailgating starts at 3 for this guy and again special thanks to Storm Chaser Bill for the help with securing tickets for tonight.

Woot! Have a great time -- We'll be out there around 4:30 somewhere under a tree in 6000 lot. Our grillmeister is getting there around 2 I think.

Back