• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Eastern Conference Finals ... Canes vs Bruins. Pre-Series Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Looks like we're going to have a bit of time before the NHL even announces a schedule, so we may as well start a thread for pre-series chatter.

The last two series should have taught us that the regular season matchups don't mean a heck of a lot, but either way the Canes lost the season series to Boston 2-1, with on Bs win in OT. It was competitive, for sure. Aho largely did the offensive damage for the Canes, as the speed of Carolina's first line caused real trouble for the slower Bruins D. That's going to be a continuing theme. And yeah ... 2 of those 3 games featured the Canes in Whalers strip, but I don't expect that to even come up aside from on the internet. Boston of course, made a few moves at the deadline, the most significant of which was adding Coyle up front. Effectively, that helped Cassidy to balance out his three primary lines and to load up his fourth line with big motor guys ... sound familiar?

In net we're likely looking at a matchup of Rask and Mrazek. Rask is one of the calm, cool collected tribe while Mr Azek is part of the hair on fire clan. Two VERY different styles at play here. Carolina has had decent success against Rask in the past so at least they won't have any mental blocks to get over, but go ahead and assume that the hockey media at large will play up Rask as an insurmountable obstacle for the Canes. That is what they do, after all. He certainly won his showdown with Goalie Bob in the last round. Both ersatz backups saw action in the season seasons, so there aren't any surprises either way.

Defense ... this is where the road REALLY diverge. Carolina's D is built on mobility and versatility. Boston's D is built on oomph and more oomph. They try to punish you, while Carolina tries to dispossess you of the puck. Carolina will need to succeed where Columbus failed to get those big boys moving and put pressure on their lack of speed. They sort of level things out with guys like Krug who can actually move, but the more mobile defenders are largely there to cover ground that guys like Chara and Carlo don't. You CAN stretch 'em out of shape and Carolina is going to have to take some punishment to do so. You HAVE to take some risks with stretch passes to make your speed pay off, and you HAVE to expect a stick in your neck on every dead puck. Deal with it a play on.

Offense ... you know the drill. Pasternak, Bergeron, Marchand, Coyle and Krejci drive their scoring and all of them play a two way game. Their top line is their checking line and it's equally good in both roles, which makes them a nightmare to match up against. The experience is a factor as well, as aside from Marchand's childish antics you don't put them in situations where they get uncomfortable often. By the same token, Carolina can now spread the load out a bit and force Boston to react. Staal is playing his best hockey in a decade, and that's allowing Carolina to generate offense from their checking line as well. Brindy has been mixing and matching, so it's not real clear what his opening play will be but I spect him to try and force Bergeron to cover Staal rather than Aho if he can. That's a lot easier at home than on the road, but we'll see how he plays it. Both teams get a lot of traction from very active, physical fourth lines so that ought to pretty much cancel out. The third units might hold the keys to the scales in this one.

Special teams ... ugh. Boston's PP was pretty garbage against Columbus but their kill was straight fire. Carolina's PP was straight up garbage against NYI and their kill was only adequate. That's going to be a problem. Boston will take penalties, but they'll force them as well so there's GOING to be power play time on both sides. Hopefully the Canes have used the luxury of some extra practice time to iron a few things out on special teams, because this is likely where this series will be decided.

Also one of the losses was with our "best goalie evar" Scott Darling.

Honestly they are getting support scoring that makes them Dangerous.
Mostly agree with the Defense / Special teams comments.
Foegele is my Cane to watch. I expect him on the third line And in position to do some Damage.
Glad Aho started looking like Aho towards the end of the Isles series.
Still this won't be an easy opponent. Still like our odds better then Toronto. (vs them)
Our Special teams have been all sorts of special and in all the wrong ways.

Anyone that think Boston in 4 I think is out to lunch this will go 6 I feel and it'll be hard fought.
We can win this.

Yeah. I think this is a long series ... 6 or 7 ... and it's a toss up. I don't see a real edge to anybody in this matchup.

Although I believe the Canes can handle either one of the two teams, Boston is who I preferred as the next opponent.

Particularly coming off a break, I like starting on the road. Less distractions, less expectations. If we stumble for a period or two and lose the first game to a "we'll show you" start by Boston, it's not nearly the major deal it would have been losing an opening home game to a Torts-whipped Columbus team because inexplicably "we couldn't find our legs".

Just want to win at least one up there and then bring them home to our barn where we not only have the crowd but last change.

IF we play our game, we forecheck more relentlessly than anything they have seen to date, despite what Columbus attempted. And their defense will be exposed for what it is along with about half their forwards, IF we play our game.

As for Tuuka Rask...I'm sure the Finns (for one) can't wait.

No Tampa, no Washington, no Pittsburgh, no Islanders, no Toronto, no Columbus.

Just Boston and Carolina. I like our chances.

Although I believe the Canes can handle either one of the two teams, Boston is who I preferred as the next opponent.

Particularly coming off a break, I like starting on the road. Less distractions, less expectations. If we stumble for a period or two and lose the first game to a "we'll show you" start by Boston, it's not nearly the major deal it would have been losing an opening home game to a Torts-whipped Columbus team because inexplicably "we couldn't find our legs".

Just want to win at least one up there and then bring them home to our barn where we not only have the crowd but last change.

IF we play our game, we forecheck more relentlessly than anything they have seen to date, despite what Columbus attempted. And their defense will be exposed for what it is along with about half their forwards, IF we play our game.

As for Tuuka Rask...I'm sure the Finns (for one) can't wait.

No Tampa, no Washington, no Pittsburgh, no Islanders, no Toronto, no Columbus.

Just Boston and Carolina. I like our chances.

Interesting you say Boston was your preferred opponent as I liked the Canes matching up better against Columbus, Boston can really wear you down with that top line and their D pairs are pretty solid as they play the heck out of the top 4 on defense. The Canes are a quicker team then Boston and they need to use that to their advantage, Chara has slowed considerably when it comes to trying to defend younger, faster players that can skate like the wind. Rask was way better in the second round then he was vs Toronto, but he has moments where he looks shaky at times.

I hope this series is not determined by bad officiating where they let Boston get away with the cheap stuff, because when you have rats like Marchand and lumberjacks like Chara, there is bound to be some cheap and dirty stuff from the Bruins.

I think Columbus would have inflicted less physical damage, but I was leery of their deadline-enhanced talent being a bit more dispersed through the lineup and therefore able to inflict scoring damage on us more so than Boston's concentrated-at-the-top structure. Contain and control instead of fighting on all fronts.

To me, Boston was a known system and we have been faring well against known systems...at least so far.

And as attractive as the home advantage would have been, it's only an advantage if you hold it. Starting on the road allows us to find our game, expose Boston's, and make hay at home with what we have learned.

The formula of these series is breaking serve at the other team's home barn. Can't wait for those Boston fans to start turning on their team after a home loss. :laughing

Looks like we're going to have a bit of time before the NHL even announces a schedule, so we may as well start a thread for pre-series chatter.

Special teams ... ugh. Boston's PP was pretty garbage against Columbus but their kill was straight fire. Carolina's PP was straight up garbage against NYI and their kill was only adequate. That's going to be a problem. Boston will take penalties, but they'll force them as well so there's GOING to be power play time on both sides. Hopefully the Canes have used the luxury of some extra practice time to iron a few things out on special teams, because this is likely where this series will be decided.

About the PP: I wonder if the Canes will continue to try the diagonal passes in the zone. Not sure if they were effective, but gave us a bunch of new looks, angles and plays available on the PP the two times I saw em do it.

I hope the six days between Game 4 and Game 1 accomplished what it needed-- time to practice, heal a bit and catch a breath going into the next round. Good to see Saku skating. I heard Ferland had a medical appointment today and that's why he wasn't at practice (but not sure of the veracity of the source). I hope we get some size and grit back for the series. The Bruins have always played physical hockey and have always ramped it up in the playoffs.

About the PP: I wonder if the Canes will continue to try the diagonal passes in the zone. Not sure if they were effective, but gave us a bunch of new looks, angles and plays available on the PP the two times I saw em do it.

Well, they have to do SOMETHING different. Personally, I'd like to see Williams moved up a bit higher in the slot in that middle position. That would open up passing options and make the D positioning more challenging. But whatever ... just find something that works.

I heard Ferland had a medical appointment today and that's why he wasn't at practice (but not sure of the veracity of the source). I hope we get some size and grit back for the series.

Brind'Amour backed up that report in his press availability. He said he was hoping to not have to talk about Ferland's health anymore after that doctor's visit. Me too.

Brind'Amour backed up that report in his press availability. He said he was hoping to not have to talk about Ferland's health anymore after that doctor's visit. Me too.

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but the Athletic reported that Ferland's injury is a bruised lung.

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but the Athletic reported that Ferland's injury is a bruised lung.

God help us, but that's painful. No wonder his shot suffered in the 2nd half of the season. The thing is ... as we see from this and Clutterbuck's horrifying back diagnosis, these guys are powering through so much physical stuff and we just have no idea. At this point I don't even want to know what Aho's been playing through.

I see McAvoy's absence from the line up in game 1 as a huge opportunity for Carolina to draw first blood. They gotta come out galvanized and convert early. Here's hoping.

I see McAvoy's absence from the line up in game 1 as a huge opportunity for Carolina to draw first blood. They gotta come out galvanized and convert early. Here's hoping.

Indeed. Carlo covering Chara's flank is a LOT different than McAvoy. In fact, I wonder if they won't change things up entirely for Game 1. That in itself could open up some seams, against a team that's pretty well set in their rotations defensively. Cassidy will shift Pasternak (and Coyle of late) around to look for some scoring balance, but he's been pretty set on his D pairings all year. Plus, Kampfer and Moore (their depth D) just aren't all that good. Says a guy whose team is playing Hayden Fleury for the rest of the post season.

Sweet Jebus! What vehicle hit him in, what?, game 2 vs Washingtoon?

I think that was it. I remember him taking a really hard hit in one of the first games, at the end of a shift. One of those stand you uppers. Ferland being solid took it without falling, but he was wincing after. I suspect this was a 'new' injury though and not what ailed him during the 2nd half of the season. Would explain his frustration.

Back