• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Bruins, Game 1, 5/9, 8:00 PM Eastern, NBCSN

Yes, you've nailed it with Dougie - but it also applies to the whole team. I love our physicality, but I think too many players let it get the better of them - almost like we were trying to out-Bruin the Bruins. If we stick to our hard fore-checking, possession-style game, we'll have the Bruins chasing us, which works to our advantage. Aside from poor officiating, a couple of brain farts and a melt-down during the last few minutes of play, this was an exciting, well-played game that we could have won. Move on.

Thing is, the Canes DID have the Bruins chasing them for large stretches of the game. Even though they eventually lost their composure a bit, there is a ton for Carolina to feel good about as they start to look at Game 2. Brindy is right that they'll have to play a LOT better if they're going to win this series, but I do think that they got to the bones of a way forward fairly quickly. Clean up the discipline issues and some of the over-eagerness and go play your game.

I think the penalties took away their momentum. I don’t think the penalties were due to a lack of composure and I don’t think they were overtrying to be physical. They just had a string of calls go against them and didn’t kill the penalties. At least half of the calls were questionable. Stall has been playing a very physical game now for months and he made a mistake on that hit but he was also pulling up. Ferland plays edgy like that and he’s going to get calls against.

So in my mind it wasn’t so much a composure issue as it was losing the rhythm of your game because of being on the kill and then being down. One of those penalties gets killed or nail the shorty and we’re talking a different story today.

As we said up front you can’t put them on the PP. doubly so if 11 is in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expect this game to be a good motivator for Sunday. Obviously they’ll get an important defensive player back but at times our forecheck suffocated them and Chara looks slower every game so I liked what I saw there. Turbo and Aho looked darn solid and dangerous. Onward boys.

The day after, the thing I am still bothered by most with the loss is the fact that game really could have easily been 4-1 Canes after 2 when you consider the gaping open net McGinn missed on the shorty chance along with the two point blank chances the Canes had immediately following the Kegger goal. That second period was a thing of beauty for the Canes overall and they deserved to be up by more than 2-1 and I think they win that game if they even would have buried one of those other golden chances I mentioned.

Emotions. Experience.

Yeah. That's a good point. Anyone else notice the bench after the Bruins first goal. There? We managed that very well. I can't tell you what he was saying, but one camera panned to JW on the bench, who was short of smirking and his expression seemed to be, ok so what, you scored, get over yourselves.

Ironically one article said we lost the game in 28 seconds or something like that. But that's not really true. We progressively began to dominate the Bruins, solidly right up until the end of the 2nd period.

You HAVE to be ready in the 3rd for the Bruins to respond here. Again, maybe playing away, the crowd, its a lot. But this club has faced that before and bounced back from it. I don't expect anything less starting puck drop game 2.

What can we expect from the Bruins? That's probably where I would be more concerned. We cannot expect them to ignore the HUGE speed issue with their D and our forwards, even glaringly with certain matchups.
I mean Chara and Carlo, I swear a few times in yesterday's game, each of them got pinned/hemmed against the boards, swarmed, swamped... there were moments behind their net where we were all three forwards banging it out against Chara and Clifton. It was insane but painfuly obvious they were all but hanging in there. So how do they address that? I imagine if anything faster was available they'd be playing. So do they change their game, ask their forwards to come back more? Try to be the caps and capitalise on turnovers at that point?

Everything is still encouraging. Its a seven game series. We learn from this. We lost 6-0 to Washington and turn around and put them down, drove a nail in the coffin.
Will it happen again? i have no clue. This is the conference FINAL. The Bruins like em or not, definitely earned their place to play here and now. But steam roll us? No. I expect Carolina to come out and forecheck like mad and hopefully.... we can get the discipline curve where it needs to be.

Last edited:
Couldn't even watch the post-game shows (national or local) or even listen to the Aftermath last night, which is pretty much a first for me.

Even woke up still mad. But I've gotten a bit better as time passes.

Good news is that we can definitely play with these guys. Had them running around looking silly in their own end in the second.

Will take what was learned and move onward.

What can we expect from the Bruins? That's probably where I would be more concerned. We cannot expect them to ignore the HUGE speed issue with their D and our forwards, even glaringly with certain matchups.

I fully expect the Bruins to work on tightening up the gaps between their D and the forwards in transition when Carolina has the puck. That was one thing I noticed that the Canes really took advantage of last night. The Bruins D was playing too soft and wide, surely in an attempt to mitigate Carolina's speed on the walls, and they left the middle of the ice too open. Carolina's entries 5v5 were WAY too easy at times, or when they side-stepped one guy the support pressure was nowhere to be found. Carolina kept hitting a forward at speed rotating diagonally from the boards to the center and most of the night that guy was WIDE open with room to motor. That's GOT to be an adjustment for Cassidy, as that's not normal for them.

The other thing I expect from them I mentioned above ... some changes in terms of the D pair matchups. I don't think they're going to be able to revert to "normal" when they get McAvoy back to caddy for Chara. Normally that pairing would get the Aho line, but if Aho's got his wheels back and we keep him centering Turbo and Svech, that's just a LOT of speed and shimmy for those two to cover. I'd look for a more balanced, mobile pairing to be matched up against that line if Brindy keeps the second two units defensively balanced like he did in Game 1. That's something to watch.

Couldn't even watch the post-game shows (national or local) or even listen to the Aftermath last night, which is pretty much a first for me.

Even woke up still mad. But I've gotten a bit better as time passes.

Good news is that we can definitely play with these guys. Had them running around looking silly in their own end in the second.

Will take what was learned and move onward.

Yeah, I turned the game off at the 1st empty netter. Nothing left to see here. Didn't watch any post game material. They blew a game they dominated.

Obviously this is not a reflection on all Bs fans. I'm posting this more as PSA. This type of thing is becoming more common, or at least is being reported more commonly. Stay safe our there.

Bs fans arrested for assault following Game 1

There were several Boston fans quite obviously trolling for fights last night after Game 3. RPD was around, which helped chill things a bit, but PNC security had that deer in the headlights look for the most part.

Don't know if folks saw it last night but someone thru a friggin bottle of water from the stands out on the ice. Don't see that everyday here.

Based on the circumstances of when that occurred (which I do not recall now), it seemed more likely that it was a Canes fan.

Based on the circumstances of when that occurred (which I do not recall now), it seemed more likely that it was a Canes fan.

I believe it was. The refs took a very long time to make an obvious call right before that thing was launched. Somebody else threw something else on the ice too ... same section unless I miss my guess. Playoff excitement sometimes brings with it playoff idiocy. Plus, let's be honest here .... 6 hours of "tailgating" isn't always the best for everyone's judgement.

I believe it was. The refs took a very long time to make an obvious call right before that thing was launched. Somebody else threw something else on the ice too ... same section unless I miss my guess. Playoff excitement sometimes brings with it playoff idiocy. Plus, let's be honest here .... 6 hours of "tailgating" isn't always the best for everyone's judgement.

That bottle was thrown after the Bruins “goal” was waived off for incidental contact. That makes me think it was a Bruins fan. Whoever it was had a helluvan arm, it came from the back of one of the center ice sections and hit about the face off circle.

Also, a bunch of cars, including mine, were keyed in the East 2000 lot last night.

That bottle was thrown after the Bruins “goal” was waived off for incidental contact. That makes me think it was a Bruins fan. Whoever it was had a helluvan arm, it came from the back of one of the center ice sections and hit about the face off circle.

Also, a bunch of cars, including mine, were keyed in the East 2000 lot last night.

Gotcha ... makes sense. I remember wondering why in the heck a Canes fan would throw that. There were some Bruins folks in that section of the lower bowl.

And I absolutely HATE that somebody felt the need to key a bunch of cars. That crap is unacceptable. Period. Sorry, man.

Back